Audeze LCD-X
Jul 29, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #10,291 of 12,748
Unrelated to your question, but a general observation. I am still having to get used to the pressure change my ears experience with the x's. Similar to other planars I've tried -- they make an airtight seal over my ears. I suspect the weight of the drivers compresses the pads on my head more so than my other planars causing noticeable pressure. Breaking the seal and gently placing the compressed cup does the trick, but I thought it worth noting.

Thanks for your reply about the headband. I do not experience the pressure change you describe. I wonder if some foam spacers would help in your situation. See:

The foam spacers work for the LCD series. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #10,292 of 12,748
The headphone (for me) would have to be just really uncomfortable (it is not) to over-ride how darn good it sounds. In all these years I have owned the X, it has been my favorite sonic tool by far. After many thousands of hours of blissful listening, it still hangs in there just working nicely. While it would be nice to get a couple other headphones to try, the X just keeps on working great.

Hope I dont put some jinx on now... =^)

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #10,295 of 12,748
OK I am gonna be the dummy and ask what is a Lohb strap? Is that the leather strap under the structural member in the new headbands or something else?

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #10,296 of 12,748
OK I am gonna be the dummy and ask what is a Lohb strap? Is that the leather strap under the structural member in the new headbands or something else?
Oh, it's just a sort of oval piece of hyde or leather with a stretchable loop on each end. Lohb is the head-fi handle for the guy that sells them. I believe he lives in Thailand, but I'm not positive.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #10,300 of 12,748
The Lohb strap is only needed for the old headband. The new suspension headband essentially does the same thing.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #10,301 of 12,748
Well I just connected the Gilmore Lite Mk2 in the chain.

Picked up jaw from off the floor. This little setup brings a tear to the eyes. So damn nice sounding it is just unbelievable. Stage opened up, timbre just reverberates like a dream. It is hard for me to imagine how LCD4 or 4Z could improve on the X in this chain? Ink black background, notes just appear with delicious separation within the stage, decay is magic. Makes my venerable old X just come alive with pure sonic bliss. Bass? Oh yeah. All I can handle, tight and clean. Makes me wonder how my old pre-fazor LCD3 would have been on this chain.

Other-world stuff. This is just crazy beautiful. The Hugo 2 with the GLMk2 has to be one of the finest compact headphone chains around. I am well and truly blown away.

Aug 5, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #10,303 of 12,748
Does anyone here know where to buy the outer grill from?

You'd have to contact Audeze, since they are the manufacturer of all the parts.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #10,304 of 12,748
Does anyone here know where to buy the outer grill from?
If you do hear anything back, please let us know. I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of the closed versions wood inserts so I can use my X's at work. Even if the sound isn't identical to the XC, that's fine with me.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #10,305 of 12,748
If you do hear anything back, please let us know. I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of the closed versions wood inserts so I can use my X's at work. Even if the sound isn't identical to the XC, that's fine with me.
They told me that they don't sell them and I'd have to send them in for$70 to get some new ones applied. Also, removing the grills voids warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back