Audeze LCD-X
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #10,306 of 12,748
They told me that they don't sell them and I'd have to send them in for$70 to get some new ones applied. Also, removing the grills voids warranty.
That's a bummer. But thanks for letting me know!

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #10,311 of 12,748
Why do I get the impression no one has even listened to the stock balanced cable?

I have listened to the stock balanced cable, but not the solvine... So I can't answer your question. On the other hand, I have used the LCD-X with the Norne Draug 2 and the Silvergarde S cables, all in balanced mode, and have preferred the Norne cables.

To be fair though, the stock Audeze balanced cable does not really sound "bad." I think it has a satisfactory and decent ability to represent the power and sound quality of any pairing of the LCD-X with any genuinely balanced amp. I remember disliking its looks and build more than the way it sounded. On the other hand, I had the Norne Cables ready when I got the Audeze, so I can't say I had the patience to listen to the stock cable long enough, and with enough attentiveness, to understand its strengths and weaknesses. I just never considered it worthwhile giving it that kind of listening time when the Norne cables were already available and waiting in the wings. My main interest was, and has been in enjoying the cans with the best cables I had on hand, rather than torturing myself with tedious cable comparisons and shootouts.

I can tell you for sure, however, that the stock balanced cable will give you better performance, as compared to the stock single-ended cable, on several balanced amps that offer both single-ended and balanced connectivity.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #10,312 of 12,748
Aug 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #10,314 of 12,748
I wondered this as well. I have a much older X with thousands of hours on it and from reading others' reviews of much newer drivers, mine seems to possibly have more of the lush Audeze house sound whereas the newer drivers may be somewhat more neutral?
I may be fulla crap too on this not having heard an X with the new (2016+) drivers so whatever this is worth... Prolly not much.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #10,315 of 12,748
I wondered this as well. I have a much older X with thousands of hours on it and from reading others' reviews of much newer drivers, mine seems to possibly have more of the lush Audeze house sound whereas the newer drivers may be somewhat more neutral?
I may be fulla crap too on this not having heard an X with the new (2016+) drivers so whatever this is worth... Prolly not much.
My couple month old X's sound pretty great to me. Side by side with some other cans, they are certainly my warmest!

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #10,316 of 12,748
I have listened to the stock balanced cable, but not the solvine... So I can't answer your question. On the other hand, I have used the LCD-X with the Norne Draug 2 and the Silvergarde S cables, all in balanced mode, and have preferred the Norne cables.

To be fair though, the stock Audeze balanced cable does not really sound "bad." I think it has a satisfactory and decent ability to represent the power and sound quality of any pairing of the LCD-X with any genuinely balanced amp. I remember disliking its looks and build more than the way it sounded. On the other hand, I had the Norne Cables ready when I got the Audeze, so I can't say I had the patience to listen to the stock cable long enough, and with enough attentiveness, to understand its strengths and weaknesses. I just never considered it worthwhile giving it that kind of listening time when the Norne cables were already available and waiting in the wings. My main interest was, and has been in enjoying the cans with the best cables I had on hand, rather than torturing myself with tedious cable comparisons and shootouts.

I can tell you for sure, however, that the stock balanced cable will give you better performance, as compared to the stock single-ended cable, on several balanced amps that offer both single-ended and balanced connectivity.
Can you give us your opinion of the draug 3 v silvergade on the lcdx?

I recently bought the silver draug for the lcd2 but i don’t think it’s the best match for me. I am going to order a norne copper cable (probably volsund) but i was curious on how the silvergarde would match (relative to copper). I have had the s2 previously eith my hd800

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #10,320 of 12,748
Can you give us your opinion of the draug 3 v silvergade on the lcdx?

I recently bought the silver draug for the lcd2 but i don’t think it’s the best match for me. I am going to order a norne copper cable (probably volsund) but i was curious on how the silvergarde would match (relative to copper). I have had the s2 previously eith my hd800

Well this is interesting, because I also prefer the pairing of the draug 2 and 3 with the LCD-X to the pairing involving the pure silver silvergarde S, which matches a lot better with my Hifiman He-1000. Each time I have tried the Silvergarde with the LCD-X, I have found myself going back to the Draug after less than 5 minutes. I have heard people here praising the pairing of the Solvines (Silver/Copper) with the LCD-X, but I cannot personally say anything about that as I have never tried that. I also have a Volsund order in the works for the LCD-X involving a Silver/Copper combo of wires, on the recommendation of Trevor, so I guess we shall see how well that does with the LCD-X, once that cable arrives.

To be fair, I have never given the Silvergarde S/LCD-X pairing any significantly lengthy listening time, in order to properly nail down exactly what I like or dislike in the sound signature. I wish things were different, as I am curious to find out if I can grow to enjoy that pairing in the way others seem to (I have heard some people praising the pairing of the silver Draug and the LCD series headphones)... In practice, however, I have always followed my visceral reactions in defaulting to my preference for the copper draugs. It probably has something to do with system synergy, but again, I have had more pleasing experiences pairing the Silvergarde S with the He-1000. I'm hoping the silver/copper volsund will make for a better synergy with the LCD-X in my system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back