Audeze LCD-X
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #10,261 of 12,748
2w7058z.jpg

The image getting flipped aside, that looks pretty set in its way to me. I suppose if another piece is to be installed on the sides to move the four screws for the leather headband further down it's possible.

You know, by now I'm definitely noticing a trend in there being a skew of opinions depending on which thread you're in. For instance, if you're in the thread of another headphone no one might act surprised about discomfort with LCD headphones, new headband included. Yet if you're here I'm suddenly a provocateur. The best thing to do is not to thank people here for subtracting money from your wallet, shop with a good return policy and determine for yourself. Some information can be useful but it's unfortunately not the whole picture. Funny story, I bought the HDVA 600 amp yesterday. A number of Sennheiser HD 800 and 800S users like it, a reviewer may find it ok but not as good as others, yet this one guy in the Gumby thread told me it's straight-up crap (that was the word)- that's why I randomly encountered a few comments that it doesn't matter what DAC you pair it with, it mostly sounds the same (yet people will also advise you not to waste your money on the HDVA 800, which has the same amp, due to it also including a relatively crappy DAC that inflates the product's price- just buy the HDVA 600 and a better DAC). So... take what you read here with a grain of salt, or whatever. I think more often than not you're going to run into contrary claims.

That’s true. Everyone has different opinions. The key is to find people who share your basic preferences and listen to them. Or you can seek out people/reviewers who are consistent with their opinions and not swayed by flavor of the month equipment and who are not simply pushing a narrative. It’s not hard to find the genuine among the noise if you know what to look for.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #10,262 of 12,748
IMHO almost all the contributors on the forums tend to be brutally honest about the gear they are commenting on as a rule. Also not so good to just seek out those who tend to reinforce your beliefs. For instance on this very forum (LCD-X) there are and have been some dissenting opinions presented and that's a good thing. Even if I disagree with what someone says about something it's all well and fine. Would be fairly boring if there was nothing but fanbois endlessly slobbering over a piece of gear, eh? =^)

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #10,263 of 12,748
IMHO almost all the contributors on the forums tend to be brutally honest about the gear they are commenting on as a rule. Also not so good to just seek out those who tend to reinforce your beliefs. For instance on this very forum (LCD-X) there are and have been some dissenting opinions presented and that's a good thing. Even if I disagree with what someone says about something it's all well and fine. Would be fairly boring if there was nothing but fanbois endlessly slobbering over a piece of gear, eh? =^)

I didn’t tell him to only listen to people who reinforce his opinions. It’s about listening to those who share his same sound preferences. Because then if that person says the Mojo is a great portable amp/dac because it has a bright tilt and they both prefer that from an amp/dac, then more than likely he will also like the Mojo.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #10,264 of 12,748
...Can I pay someone like $30 to try their Norne Audio Solvine balanced cable with my LCD-X for a few days? I'll cover shipping. I've got less than a month to return the HD800S and I don't know what to do.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #10,265 of 12,748
...Can I pay someone like $30 to try their Norne Audio Solvine balanced cable with my LCD-X for a few days? I'll cover shipping. I've got less than a month to return the HD800S and I don't know what to do.
Man... If anything, take it from someone who went off the deep end last year with audio stuff -- relax and enjoy what you've got.

Throwing money around like you have been in a mad dash for perfection is a recipe for disappointment. My advice would be that it you can only afford either the 800 or x, then work out which you can love with, even in the medium term and return the other. Then spend some time -- probably months -- with it, get to know the sound, get used to it, work out what you feel is missing. At that point, do some longer research to narrow field of what might full those gaps. And finally gonea new contender a shot.

I scrambled for perfection this time last year to no avail. But I'm the process I learned what I like and stumbled onto a combo that I'm completely satisfied with in my current home set up. In fact I just ordered the LCD-X, not to fill a gap my clears leave open, but because i simply want to enjoy them too and have the means right now to do so. I'm only excited by their impending arrival, not remotely nervous.

This is a good place to be... Take your time and join me.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #10,266 of 12,748
That would mean paying double in the long run. I'd like to get the long run straight now. I've even considered trying to upgrade my amp for the HD800S, but I don't seem to like any option at this point. No tubes.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #10,267 of 12,748
Man... If anything, take it from someone who went off the deep end last year with audio stuff -- relax and enjoy what you've got.

Throwing money around like you have been in a mad dash for perfection is a recipe for disappointment. My advice would be that it you can only afford either the 800 or x, then work out which you can love with, even in the medium term and return the other. Then spend some time -- probably months -- with it, get to know the sound, get used to it, work out what you feel is missing. At that point, do some longer research to narrow field of what might full those gaps. And finally gonea new contender a shot.

I scrambled for perfection this time last year to no avail. But I'm the process I learned what I like and stumbled onto a combo that I'm completely satisfied with in my current home set up. In fact I just ordered the LCD-X, not to fill a gap my clears leave open, but because i simply want to enjoy them too and have the means right now to do so. I'm only excited by their impending arrival, not remotely nervous.

This is a good place to be... Take your time and join me.
Great post. I know there’s been times when I’ve rushed in a bit quick. Luckily not too many times so it hasn’t cost me too much.

Thanks ne piece of advice i listened to here was find a headphone i like (hd800) and look at building a system around it. Good advice for a hp like the hd800

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #10,268 of 12,748
Damn it Rutter you sound like one miserable SOB. Sorry man.

BTW my X have near 5k hours estimated on them in a few years. First with Gungnir/Mjolnir and now with Hugo 2. Still sounds really nice.

Hope you find what you need.
Cheers

I'm considering upgrading to the Mjolnir 2 to go along with the Gumby and will be sticking with the LCD-X. Will get a Norne Solvine (i.e. silver) balanced cable too. How does that sound? Is the Mjolnir 2 less energetic than the Jot if you have any experience with the latter? Is the Mjolnir 2 a bright amp that could make the LCD-X unpleasant with a silver cable? Planning on using the solid state "tubes".

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #10,269 of 12,748
I'm considering upgrading to the Mjolnir 2 to go along with the Gumby and will be sticking with the LCD-X. Will get a Norne Solvine (i.e. silver) balanced cable too. How does that sound? Is the Mjolnir 2 less energetic than the Jot if you have any experience with the latter? Is the Mjolnir 2 a bright amp that could make the LCD-X unpleasant with a silver cable? Planning on using the solid state "tubes".
The solvine is copprr and silver

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #10,270 of 12,748

The only way the LCD-X are going to sound unpleasant is if you start pumping some Celine Dion into them. To Audeze's credit, those things will shine on pretty much anything that isn't coming out of an Altoid's tin.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #10,272 of 12,748
Preferences for Jotunheim vs Mjolnir 2 with the LCD-X? Can someone explain what difference the Norne Solvine balanced cable makes versus the stock single-ended one?

I might try to get an Auralic Taurus MK2 amplifier to see if I can't salvage the 800S. Was listening to Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring yesterday and for the first time picked up on an instrument sounding realistic and satisfyingly so. It was guitar strumming. Essentially missed it with the LCD-X, picked it up with the 800S. Looser bass, worse separation, and I think perhaps worse quality account for that. The thing is I don't know how much is attributable to single-ended and how much to the 800S being better in ways. But the 800S is definitely hurting my ears and I need more fullness or something and better female vocals out of it.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #10,273 of 12,748
Preferences for Jotunheim vs Mjolnir 2 with the LCD-X? Can someone explain what difference the Norne Solvine balanced cable makes versus the stock single-ended one?

I might try to get an Auralic Taurus MK2 amplifier to see if I can't salvage the 800S. Was listening to Why Don't You Get a Job? by The Offspring yesterday and for the first time picked up on an instrument sounding realistic and satisfyingly so. It was guitar strumming. Essentially missed it with the LCD-X, picked it up with the 800S. Looser bass, worse separation, and I think perhaps worse quality account for that. The thing is I don't know how much is attributable to single-ended and how much to the 800S being better in ways. But the 800S is definitely hurting my ears and I need more fullness or something and better female vocals out of it.

It's not a night and day difference, If you like the X you will like it more with a good cable.

I notice better bass definition, and more nuance up top to use some audiophile terms

I wouldn't get hung up on a cable to make a HP choice personally, I just want to listen:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #10,275 of 12,748
I've been following the 800S thread myself, I saw you ask about the Taurus amp in there. I'm curious, how much research did you do beyond the one person making a brief recommendation? I ask because -- for your sake -- I hope you're considering purchasing it with more than just a single recommendation. That's an expensive amp to buy on a whim, hoping it'll work for you. Earlier you mentioned that not getting your endgame cans in one shot would result in your effectively paying double... but what about all of the shipping and return costs you'll be eating by having to buy and return all of this equipment you're cycling around? Seems completely counter productive and inefficient to me.

Anyway, regarding your Jot. It's an amp which I also looked into when considering the HE-560 (considered a bright headphone). Consensus was that the Jot was itself on the brighter side and not at all well suited to the likes of HE-560 or HD800S. I'm sure it pairs well with the more neutral LCD's. If anything, I think it'd serve to dig through the 800S thread and see what kind of gear people are praising as a good match with their gear, then do some thorough research into those actual products to see if they'll be a good fit.

Before purchasing my LCD-X (days ago, so expect me to gush about them in a post this weekend), I auditioned them alongside the 800S and my Clear's with my iDSD BL. I've read that it's a warmer amp/dac and with that setup I found that the treble on the 800S was right on the edge of being too harsh. But I'd be buying them for my home setup (see my sig), which is suuuuper smooth in the treble region, so no doubt the 800S would have been fine.

So, why the long winded anecdote above? Well I recommend you look into an R2R dac and a neutral/warmer amp if you want the 800S. But before you do that, you need to commit to which headphone you're keeping. I can see the benefit of building a system around a bright headphone like the HE-560 or 800S, but you're almost certainly going to compromise the sound quality of any other headphones you might have. For example, if you finally eliminate your treble issues with the 800S and still deem the overall to be anything bar perfection, well... you're probably going to have a setup that's gonna suck with the LCD-X, leaving you to do it all over again.

Just take your time, do the research and stop rushing into things, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back