Audeze LCD-X
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #10,246 of 12,748
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=daft+punk+dance&t=ffnt&atb=v117-4_f&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=NF-kLy44Hls

Now I typically don't listen to this kind of music as a rule, but this one is just infectious on my little system. Crank it up tight and give it a listen, if you're not tappin toes there's something wrong with ya!

BTW that song above, the X takes that bass and has its way with it. Even single ended... Who woulda thought? =^)

Stock cable is not bad, the Solvine is just much better.
I listen to all kinds of music, I just bought a ticket to a deadmau5 concert last night. Feeel the bass!

I'll give that a listen, Thanks:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #10,247 of 12,748
I should be getting a Wywires Red balanced cable from another member this coming week so I'll be able to determine if the LCD-X benefits nearly as much as the HD800S. Not Norne Solvine but I'll burn $150 instead of $400. Specs for the Jot:

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 5000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel
Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel

Audeze recommends their headphones, including the LCD-X, to be powered by 1-4W, which at 20 ohms the Jotunheim achieves single-ended. I'll probably use low gain balanced, which I'm kind of worried might bring the power under 1W. The HD800S is at 300 ohms and it might be that 350mW is pretty insufficient. Haven't opened the manual and am unaware of what Sennheiser recommends.

Interestingly even balanced I think the HD800S is suffering against the EQed LCD-X with female vocals. There's a certain dryness and thinness that hasn't been removed.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #10,248 of 12,748
I'm curious about the comfort difference with the new suspension headbands that are available. I've done some digging, but haven't come across any direct comparisons. For anyone who's had the old style headband and one of the suspension variants -- how would you describe the comfort of these tanks with the new headband?

Cheers!

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #10,249 of 12,748
I'm curious about the comfort difference with the new suspension headbands that are available. I've done some digging, but haven't come across any direct comparisons. For anyone who's had the old style headband and one of the suspension variants -- how would you describe the comfort of these tanks with the new headband?

Cheers!

Night and day brah. Im wearing glasses on top and with the old band, the X would become annoying and painful after 3-4 hours. Since i got the new one i hadent noticed any discomfort at all. Must have.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #10,250 of 12,748
I bought my X as a 2017 model CE, it had the braided cable and the old headband.
Turns out I don't use ether anymore, I replace the stock single ended for the Solvine balanced.

I replace the stock headband with the new carbon headband, it's a huge improvement in comfort and aesthetics.
It actually looks better on the X than the LCD4 that it come stock on IMO. I think leather looks better with wood, and carbon with powder coated aluminum.
My only bitch is the leather strap is creaky at first, I used leather conditioner, and let it hang all the time. This has helped with that small issue

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #10,251 of 12,748
Night and day brah. Im wearing glasses on top and with the old band, the X would become annoying and painful after 3-4 hours. Since i got the new one i hadent noticed any discomfort at all. Must have.

I wear glasses with the new headband too and not only can I experience discomfort and pain behind my ears, I am bound to experience discomfort and pain on top of my head after a few hours. As someone else claimed in another thread, the new Audeze headband does not fix comfort woes. The two pieces of it are too close together and the metal piece ends up pressed against your head, in my case at a bit of an angle. There's plenty of discomfort long term.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #10,252 of 12,748
I bot the new style headband to install on my old X and it is a bit more comfortable. I really had no problems with the original headband though. I would wear the phones for over 12 hours at a time occasionally, did not bother me at all. Some peeps seem to be real cupcakes and complain about just anything. The new headband (to me) has the leather piece way too close to the structural support member. So its kind of like a quasi-suspension type headband. If I was real motivated I guess I would attempt to induce a much more suspension-like setup but it does not bother me at all, like the old-style headband never bothered me either. Also the weight of the phones never bothered my neck and some peeps belly-ache about that incessantly. The phones are heavy though so I guess it would be understandable how some could find that uncomfortable for lengthy listening sessions.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #10,253 of 12,748
I bot the new style headband to install on my old X and it is a bit more comfortable. I really had no problems with the original headband though. I would wear the phones for over 12 hours at a time occasionally, did not bother me at all. Some peeps seem to be real cupcakes and complain about just anything. The new headband (to me) has the leather piece way too close to the structural support member. So its kind of like a quasi-suspension type headband. If I was real motivated I guess I would attempt to induce a much more suspension-like setup but it does not bother me at all, like the old-style headband never bothered me either. Also the weight of the phones never bothered my neck and some peeps belly-ache about that incessantly. The phones are heavy though so I guess it would be understandable how some could find that uncomfortable for lengthy listening sessions.
Gotta give you a big +1 on your post. While they're heavy,. I don't find the weight any problem. And the Lohb strap is effective.

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #10,254 of 12,748
...the old-style headband never bothered me either. Also the weight of the phones never bothered my neck and some peeps belly-ache about that incessantly. The phones are heavy though so I guess it would be understandable how some could find that uncomfortable for lengthy listening sessions.

Glad to hear that I'm not alone on this. I really like the old style headband, more than the new version. When I bought my X, I went out of my way to get the old headband version.

While I'm at it with the unpopular opinions... I think the LCD-X is more comfortable than the NightOwls, the PM3s, or the X2s! Ha! Nice to get that off my chest. I feel so alive...

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #10,255 of 12,748
I wear glasses with the new headband too and not only can I experience discomfort and pain behind my ears, I am bound to experience discomfort and pain on top of my head after a few hours. As someone else claimed in another thread, the new Audeze headband does not fix comfort woes. The two pieces of it are too close together and the metal piece ends up pressed against your head, in my case at a bit of an angle. There's plenty of discomfort long term.

I’m pretty sure there’s a way to adjust the strap so that there’s more distance between it and the metal frame. Someone was just talking about it the other day. I think it was in the LCD 4z thread.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #10,256 of 12,748
Hmmm I have had the X mounted onto my cabeza for roughly six+ hours so far today, with my glasses on as well for the entire time (as usual so nothing new there) and no muss no fuss. No pain either.

I guess I am just one of those lucky few who have absolutely no issues wearing the LCD line of headphones. Really the only thing for me is my ears may get a little warm after several hours encased in the earpads.

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #10,257 of 12,748
Cheers for the responses! The weight has given me pause in the past, but I'm in a place where I'm willing to use the X's in short bursts should I be afflicted by a particularly bad hot spot on my particular noggin'. Based on my time auditioning any lcd's I've felt the majority of the older headbands weight focus on the top of my head. I've not spent more than a couple hours with it at a time and the weight seemed ok, but it's a consideration.

The feedback on the suspension headband might might just be enough to sway me :)

So thanks, but my wallet may be less happy with you lot for your input :)

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #10,258 of 12,748
I’m pretty sure there’s a way to adjust the strap so that there’s more distance between it and the metal frame. Someone was just talking about it the other day. I think it was in the LCD 4z thread.

2w7058z.jpg

The image getting flipped aside, that looks pretty set in its way to me. I suppose if another piece is to be installed on the sides to move the four screws for the leather headband further down it's possible.

You know, by now I'm definitely noticing a trend in there being a skew of opinions depending on which thread you're in. For instance, if you're in the thread of another headphone no one might act surprised about discomfort with LCD headphones, new headband included. Yet if you're here I'm suddenly a provocateur. The best thing to do is not to thank people here for subtracting money from your wallet, shop with a good return policy and determine for yourself. Some information can be useful but it's unfortunately not the whole picture. Funny story, I bought the HDVA 600 amp yesterday. A number of Sennheiser HD 800 and 800S users like it, a reviewer may find it ok but not as good as others, yet this one guy in the Gumby thread told me it's straight-up crap (that was the word)- that's why I randomly encountered a few comments that it doesn't matter what DAC you pair it with, it mostly sounds the same (yet people will also advise you not to waste your money on the HDVA 800, which has the same amp, due to it also including a relatively crappy DAC that inflates the product's price- just buy the HDVA 600 and a better DAC). So... take what you read here with a grain of salt, or whatever. I think more often than not you're going to run into contrary claims.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #10,259 of 12,748
I took my headband apart, you could tighten up the slack if you tried a bit, I might later down the road.

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #10,260 of 12,748
Cheers for the responses! The weight has given me pause in the past, but I'm in a place where I'm willing to use the X's in short bursts should I be afflicted by a particularly bad hot spot on my particular noggin'. Based on my time auditioning any lcd's I've felt the majority of the older headbands weight focus on the top of my head. I've not spent more than a couple hours with it at a time and the weight seemed ok, but it's a consideration.

The feedback on the suspension headband might might just be enough to sway me :)

So thanks, but my wallet may be less happy with you lot for your input :)

Condolences to your wallet. I have had to fish mine out of a corner whimpering and cowering in fear due to impending audio equipment abuse! On top of all the other abuses it is regularly subjected to... We all pay the price to be able to enjoy music on a certain level, and it is so worth it. Like they say, there never was a U-Haul trailer hooked up to a casket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back