Audeze LCD-X
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #10,141 of 12,748
You do have some nice gear there. I also have the Metrum Hex, and I love the sound a lot (although I prefer my Yggy more), but it seems to me that combining that DAC with the LCD-X seems tailor-made to produce the detailed but smooth and laid back treble that is leaving you less than satisfied now, especially, if you're coming to the LCD-X from the T-1. I used to have the T-1 myself, and sold it without getting much use out of it, not necessarily because it was bad or anything like that (I just needed let it go as I thought I had more cans than I needed at the time)... It just strikes me as possible that someone who is used to the sound of the T-1 might find the LCD-X a bit laid-back upon first acquaintance, in the same way that someone traveling the reverse route, i.e going from the LCD-X to the T-1, might find the latter at least occasionally a little "hot" or aggressive at the top, all depending on the content they're listening to of course... I tend to agree with those who say you should give yourself time for your ears to get used to the sound of the LCD-X... Psychoacoustics and all... These cans have a way of rewarding patience that way...

As for titles in JAZZ that are great for demoing the LCD-X (and sticking only to Jazz to prevent things from going overboard), I think there are too many to list here... They just have to be well-recorded... A few examples that come to mind are:

Chick Corea:

Trilogy (3 disks)
The Musician (3 disks)

Dhafer Youssef:

Birds Requiem
Diwan of Beauty and Odd

Keith Jarrett (Solo/improv)

A Multitude of Angels (and countless others for the ECM Catalog)

Keith Jarrett Trio

Somewhere (and countless others from the ECM Catalog)

Ahmad Jamal

Marseilles

Patricia Barber
Modern Cool

Nik Bartsch's Ronin, and or Mobile

Live (or other titles from the ECM catalog)

Horns: any number of titles from Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker etc. etc.

I could go on and on, but let me stop before this begins to get too ridiculous, that is, if it is not already.

By the way, if you're interested in discovering more good music in all genres, then might I suggest a Tidal subscription? Tidal indeed would be your friend :)

I am already streaming Tidal via Roon on a Mac Mini - It’s nice but sometimes good also to get a few recommendations. Human interaction and stuff

My reference point is my hifi rig, I guess, and those ‘phones are something completely different soundwise.
Not that my rig sounds ‘hot’ or up front
(Merlin VSM speakers and a Mastersound Evo tube amp)

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #10,142 of 12,748
BTW how would the LCD-X sound with a tubed amp? Even more smoothness and laid back treble?
Got offered a Fosgate Signature Headamp for a very good price when I was browsing for amplification...Anyone who has experience with that?

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #10,143 of 12,748
I should probably come with a music recommendation myself :wink:

Dee Dee Bridgewater - Live at Yoshi’s
Her voice is slightly over the top in the treble compartment a few times, but hey- it’s live, right?
This disc always gives me a good impression of how hot a system is tuned.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #10,144 of 12,748
Some people do prefer the Focal sound over LCD though, not really a shocker that people have different preferences..

I agree with this and it doesn't shock me at all. However, I think that the LCD-X is as good a fit and better than all the higher end headphones I've tried thus far for the type of music you claim they aren't a fit for. They don't have a laid-back or relaxed signature and their bass is very good. They do sound very differently and poorer without the elements I've mentioned, however. Focal headphones might have their strength pass through everything but conversely you might not be able to tame them. So it strongly depends on preference. If you're fine with how sharp and strong the Focal sound is then you might as well just buy Focal. It's also drier, faster, and less musical to my ears.

I finally got the HD800S. Used the CMA400i fully balanced to drive them, now using the balanced output of the Jot with the 400i as the DAC, RCA connection. LCD-X is driven single-ended. The bass of the LCD-X is clearly heftier. The LCD-X is less clear and has clearly worse separation, the 800S sounds tighter too, but there was nothing awe-inspiring about the 800S with respect to soundstage. I did not hear anything in 3D. I do get some more space but nothing remotely as impressive as I expected. Nonetheless, the greater 2D space and separation is notable. In terms of clarity the LCD-X actually sounds somewhat veiled is the best word I can think of, not sure if I'm using it correctly. Perhaps less resolving. I'll keep switching. Unfortunately the 800S might indeed be kind of thin sounding, on the other hand. Wouldn't dismiss it as analytical, however. I would hate myself if I keep both. So much damn money I shouldn't be spending.

The weight of the 800S is incredible. Very light, would not expect pain or discomfort over hours. I need to wait for the Gumby and run both headphones through the resulting Schiit stack. I'm actually in a tough spot at the moment in terms of sound. The 800S didn't impress me when I put it on, but after switching to the LCD-X there are clear benefits to the former and deficits to the latter. I can't EQ the 800S' bass to sound like the LCD-X and the bass boost seems to do very little through Sonarworks Reference 4. The bass of the 800S is actually quite decent, I can get some slam out of it where it is in songs I'm familiar with, but not exceptional and could be its undoing. I really need to see how both headphones respond to the Schiit stack to make any decision. I think the LCD-X will be significantly lifted based on my recollection of the Mimby, and it needs to be.

PS

Anyone know how safe Hum X is to use with these headphone amplifiers? It's stated to be used with current of less than 6 amps or 720 watts draw or whatever, whereas the Jotunheim is stated to consume 25W. Yet people in the Jotunheim thread seem comfortable using Hum X with it.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #10,145 of 12,748
By the way, Sonarworks continues to be critical. Without it the HD800S definitely sounds thin, "analytical", and downright weak. This changes significantly. I use a 3db bass boost as well, which has the most trivial effect.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #10,147 of 12,748
which Sonarworks to use? True-fi or the studio thing?

It really doesn't matter. The Reference 4 extra little bit of stuff seems pointless to me (unless you want a plug-in for a DAW or music program). My trial of True-Fi expired so now I'm trying Reference 4 out and it's the same thing. The only thing Ref 4 might enable you to do is tone down treble by applying a tilt to the bass, tilting the entire equalization downward, but then what True-Fi enables you to do is to tone treble up without touching bass. The meat is the equalization profiles. You just select your headphone from a list. Use lower volume to avoid clipping on True-Fi or safe headroom on Ref 4.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #10,148 of 12,748
Interesting- thanks for the tip!

It took me a while to figure out how to get it working together with roon without glitches on my Mac Mini server-

I would say some recordings/genres benefit more than others. (Definitely most those with a lot of electrically distorted guitars :wink: )

Biggest improvement so far for LaBrassBanda - Live Olympiahalle München This recording was a real disappointment to hear on un-EQ'd LCD-X, I'm sorry to say...

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #10,149 of 12,748
It really doesn't matter. The Reference 4 extra little bit of stuff seems pointless to me (unless you want a plug-in for a DAW or music program). My trial of True-Fi expired so now I'm trying Reference 4 out and it's the same thing. The only thing Ref 4 might enable you to do is tone down treble by applying a tilt to the bass, tilting the entire equalization downward, but then what True-Fi enables you to do is to tone treble up without touching bass. The meat is the equalization profiles. You just select your headphone from a list. Use lower volume to avoid clipping on True-Fi or safe headroom on Ref 4.
I agree with you. I tried them both and went with Systemwide 4.0 headphone. I'm not sure it's much different but I can say that I would not want to be without one or the other of them. The difference it makes for me is amazing. I chose Systemwide due to also doing some producing.

By the way, Sonarworks is having a 30% summer sale right now. So if you don't have it, it might be a good time to pick it up.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10,151 of 12,748
Hmm, I like the effect Sonarworks has but I'm still getting glitches and very short dropouts with roon and Sonarworks.... not good.

Well, I wonder why you're still messing with Sonarworks, when Roon already provides some excellent pre-Calibrated filters and profiles for several Audeze headphones, which include of course, the LCD-X. I use the Roon filters all the time for listening to LCD-X and the result has never disappointed me... Have you tried those filters on your rig?

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Audeze_Presets

I also have the Sonarworks, but now I only use their profiles for my HD800, only because Roon does not yet cater to Sennheiser HPs

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #10,152 of 12,748
Well, I wonder why you're still messing with Sonarworks, when Roon already provides some excellent pre-Calibrated filters and profiles for several Audeze headphones, which include of course, the LCD-X. I use the Roon filters all the time for listening to LCD-X and the result has never disappointed me... Have you tried those filters on your rig?

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Audeze_Presets

I also have the Sonarworks, but now I only use their profiles for my HD800, only because Roon does not yet cater to Sennheiser HPs

I am getting only distortions when I activate the filter on Roon. And I haven't been able to find out why. It's totally distorted, not just glitches.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #10,153 of 12,748
I see
I am getting only distortions when I activate the filter on Roon. And I haven't been able to find out why. It's totally distorted, not just glitches.

I see... I do not get any distortions at all, so that can't be normal. Something is clearly not set up correctly, You can ask about those distortions on the Roon forum, and they'll help you to troubleshoot the problem... They are usually very quick with their responses, and also very efficient, I might add.

Jun 30, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #10,155 of 12,748
Strangely, even with the ridiculously lightweight HD800S I might be getting some pain on top of my head where the headband might be pressing at a weird angle. The Hifiman Edition X v2 gave me no pain with the way the cloth part of its headband is separated from the second metal piece. I've seen another poster claim that Audeze have not succeeded with their new headbands, I suspect for this reason. The two pieces are too close together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back