Audeze LCD-X
Sep 28, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #9,541 of 12,748
New mastering Audeze plug-in called REVEAL

By @Audeze:

“To enhance your music creation experience with Audeze headphones, we are excited to announce REVEAL, a set of free plug-ins that can be used for mixing and mastering on your headphones with confidence. Audeze has always designed our headphones to deliver authentic sound quality comparable to listening to your track in a perfectly treated room. REVEAL is compatible with most popular digital audio workstations, and it will be available in VST/AU /AAX formats for PC and Mac. REVEAL will soon be available for freedownload at Audeze.com.”

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #9,542 of 12,748
New mastering Audeze plug-in called REVEAL

By @Audeze:

“To enhance your music creation experience with Audeze headphones, we are excited to announce REVEAL, a set of free plug-ins that can be used for mixing and mastering on your headphones with confidence. Audeze has always designed our headphones to deliver authentic sound quality comparable to listening to your track in a perfectly treated room. REVEAL is compatible with most popular digital audio workstations, and it will be available in VST/AU /AAX formats for PC and Mac. REVEAL will soon be available for freedownload at Audeze.com.”
Is it supposed to be a similar, but less b*tchy Sonarworks?

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #9,543 of 12,748
I got like 400 bucks tops for an amp man haha

I'm quite interested in the liquid carbonx on massdrop right now! For 299 and the sound of a v2 cavalli, it seems like a steal.
I also sifted through this thread and found the ember II works wonderfully with the LCD-X, and its only $299 aswell.
Other than that the Deckard and Mjolnir v1 sound like good options as well.

So far the ember II and cavalli sound the best to me, haven't heard much about the pairings though. I've got 3 days to choose as the cavalli drop ends then.
I don't have the LCD-X just yet but I took a quick listen with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 using the balanced out versus my HifiMan EF-6. I know the EF-6 isn't balanced, but I wanted just use the same cable (silver coated UP-OCC) with my Audeze LCD-2F aluminum

The Carbon does a lot of things right. It's clean, clear and gives a fairly nice sense of air and space between the instruments and vocals. You just can't fault it in anyway. The EF-6 gives you all that and weight/presence and a greater sense of depth to everything. Although with my Audio-gd DAC-19 & EF-6 combo might be giving me an overly warm sound, but we'll see how the LC-X handles that

I haven't heard the Ember, but you really can't go wrong with the Liquid Carbon in your system. It'll be great starting place or your end game depending on your personal taste

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #9,544 of 12,748
I agree with this 100%. I own the lcd-2 and the lcd-x i bought my lcd-2 in the very first batch of preorders and loved it right away. Last year I went to a headphone store and spend the afternoon listening to the lcd-x and the lcd-3 with various high end sources and amps. The best way I can put it is that if you like the lcd-2 sound you will love the lcd-x even more as it does the same things just even better. Conversely if you don't like the sound of the lcd-2 you might find the lcd-3 more pleasing as it is a different beast all together.
That bodes well for me then! I LOVE the LCD-2F and I'm hoping the LCD-X will be my end game from what I've been reading

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9,545 of 12,748
So you are just repeating what you randomly read, not what you have or tried for yourself?
Sadly, yes. I have not had any experience with said amplifier, but it has been recommended to me multiple times, I just haven't had the moolah to afford it, and if you have a better recommendation that is within the price range, I'm all ears, given the fact that I'm looking for a good LCD-X amp too.

Sep 28, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9,546 of 12,748
I don't have the LCD-X just yet but I took a quick listen with my Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 using the balanced out versus my HifiMan EF-6. I know the EF-6 isn't balanced, but I wanted just use the same cable (silver coated UP-OCC) with my Audeze LCD-2F aluminum

The Carbon does a lot of things right. It's clean, clear and gives a fairly nice sense of air and space between the instruments and vocals. You just can't fault it in anyway. The EF-6 gives you all that and weight/presence and a greater sense of depth to everything. Although with my Audio-gd DAC-19 & EF-6 combo might be giving me an overly warm sound, but we'll see how the LC-X handles that

I haven't heard the Ember, but you really can't go wrong with the Liquid Carbon in your system. It'll be great starting place or your end game depending on your personal taste
Did you try mjolnir2? I’m sitting on the fence with regards to the massdrop lcx

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #9,547 of 12,748
Did you try mjolnir2? I’m sitting on the fence with regards to the massdrop lcx
I've not heard the Mjoinir 2. Sorry. Did you check out the Liquid Carbon V2 thread at all? Apparently, it's the same thing sound wise but in a different form factor

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #9,549 of 12,748
Well, some interesting thoughts after a demo session today.
1. DACs matter a whole lot, probably more than amps
2. MQA is not a sham, with a DAC that can do hardware decoding, it sounds amazing. The difference between MQA and FLAC is larger than the one between FLAC and MP3. Could easily spot a difference between them in a blind test.
3. I'm super glad I decided to get the LCDX. After extensively listening to both Utopia and HD800, the Utopia is a smidge better in almost every way, but not worth the premium imo. HD800's soundstage was far too large for my liking. It felt very disconnected and synthetic.
4. I need to upgrade my setup and squeeze more performance out. My amp/DAC is holding these back. Have an Apex Sangaku on loan for the weekend and it's gonna hurt to give it back on Monday.
20170928_182804.jpg

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #9,550 of 12,748
Just saw that sale...I'm getting the itch, boys.

I just picked up a 2Qute DAC and I've been loving it with my aging D7000s and am looking for something to pair it with. I have a pair of Kennerton Vali's that I'm not as in love with as I had hoped for. Wondering if this might be my next and perhaps final stop in the open can market. Something that will get me to finally sell off all my other opens.

What say ye? Will it pair well with a 2Qute and a Lyr 2? (I do 99.9% of my music listening on my PC).

I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, Jazz, R&B, Classical in that order. I like to listen like 12 hours a day (work, play). I also like to be able to use my cans for movies and games.

Can the X's do all of that? Can it do them all well? :D

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #9,551 of 12,748
Well, some interesting thoughts after a demo session today.
1. DACs matter a whole lot, probably more than amps
2. MQA is not a sham, with a DAC that can do hardware decoding, it sounds amazing. The difference between MQA and FLAC is larger than the one between FLAC and MP3. Could easily spot a difference between them in a blind test.
3. I'm super glad I decided to get the LCDX. After extensively listening to both Utopia and HD800, the Utopia is a smidge better in almost every way, but not worth the premium imo. HD800's soundstage was far too large for my liking. It felt very disconnected and synthetic.
4. I need to upgrade my setup and squeeze more performance out. My amp/DAC is holding these back. Have an Apex Sangaku on loan for the weekend and it's gonna hurt to give it back on Monday.
Let us know how the Sangaku works out

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #9,552 of 12,748
Just saw that sale...I'm getting the itch, boys.

I just picked up a 2Qute DAC and I've been loving it with my aging D7000s and am looking for something to pair it with. I have a pair of Kennerton Vali's that I'm not as in love with as I had hoped for. Wondering if this might be my next and perhaps final stop in the open can market. Something that will get me to finally sell off all my other opens.

What say ye? Will it pair well with a 2Qute and a Lyr 2? (I do 99.9% of my music listening on my PC).

I mostly listen to Hip-Hop, Jazz, R&B, Classical in that order. I like to listen like 12 hours a day (work, play). I also like to be able to use my cans for movies and games.

Can the X's do all of that? Can it do them all well? :D
I'm still waiting for my X to arrive. I'm checking FedEx a few times a day. I guess I'm a little anxious. From my reading of this thread, the LCD-X doesn't seem to play nice with the Lyr. Not sure about the Lyr 2, but I would surmise it would be the same. I've also read that the LCD-X is a pretty good all-arounder. If you liked the LCD-2 sound then you'll like the X. If you like the LCD-3 sound then you probably won't. That's also something I've read as well, which sums it up nicely

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #9,553 of 12,748
I have the LCD-2F and LCD-X. Hands down the X is my favourite of the 2. It has so much more detail and great imaging. It's really one of those hear all the interesting little bits in the music headphones. Relatively neutral too, at least for Audeze and by my own arbitrary definition. Don't get me wrong, the 2 is a really nice headphone (I'm listening to it right now and the X is on the shelf :astonished:). I have a wide range of music from death metal to idm and modern classical++++ and usually listen on shuffle. I like pianos and violins one moment, crazy breakbeats the next then slamming brutal grooves. LCD-X does it all beautifully. I turn to the LCD-2 primarily when I want an alternate tuning for some variation (warmer, darker, bassier) or with some electronic music (eg Moderat) where I just want to bask in the basslines.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #9,554 of 12,748
I'm still waiting for my X to arrive. I'm checking FedEx a few times a day. I guess I'm a little anxious. From my reading of this thread, the LCD-X doesn't seem to play nice with the Lyr. Not sure about the Lyr 2, but I would surmise it would be the same. I've also read that the LCD-X is a pretty good all-arounder. If you liked the LCD-2 sound then you'll like the X. If you like the LCD-3 sound then you probably won't. That's also something I've read as well, which sums it up nicely
I've actually never heard any Audeze headphone.

Actually, I think I heard a pair of the EL-8's once and they sounded like hot trash, so I assumed they were not representative of Audeze's higher end cans. But yea, I've never heard the LCD-2, LCD-3 or LCD-X to have an opinion on which I like more.

And I wonder what "play nice" or "doesn't play nice" means with regard to the amp. My Lyr 2 has plenty of power and I haven't had any issues driving anything that I own (sig). I guess there'd be only one way to find out unless someone in the Miami area owns a pair of these and wouldn't mind demoing. Otherwise, I'll probably just order. If I don't like them enough, I guess I can just return them.

If anyone else has thoughts on how these do for all-day wearing and for genres that appreciate bass, I'll appreciate the insights.

edit: this gentlemen said he had a good experience with his Lyr 2 so I'm going to hope for the best in that regard: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-x.684394/page-378#post-11274078

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #9,555 of 12,748
I've actually never heard any Audeze headphone.

Actually, I think I heard a pair of the EL-8's once and they sounded like hot trash, so I assumed they were not representative of Audeze's higher end cans. But yea, I've never heard the LCD-2, LCD-3 or LCD-X to have an opinion on which I like more.

And I wonder what "play nice" or "doesn't play nice" means with regard to the amp. My Lyr 2 has plenty of power and I haven't had any issues driving anything that I own (sig). I guess there'd be only one way to find out unless someone in the Miami area owns a pair of these and wouldn't mind demoing. Otherwise, I'll probably just order. If I don't like them enough, I guess I can just return them.

If anyone else has thoughts on how these do for all-day wearing and for genres that appreciate bass, I'll appreciate the insights.

edit: this gentlemen said he had a good experience with his Lyr 2 so I'm going to hope for the best in that regard: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-x.684394/page-378#post-11274078
If you find a pair of LCD-X to audition, let us know how they pair with the Lyr 2. I'm very curious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back