Audeze LCD-X
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #9,556 of 12,748
If you find a pair of LCD-X to audition, let us know how they pair with the Lyr 2. I'm very curious
Oh you know I will. If I'm not impressed, this thread will be the first to know it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9,557 of 12,748
I got like 400 bucks tops for an amp man haha

I'm quite interested in the liquid carbonx on massdrop right now! For 299 and the sound of a v2 cavalli, it seems like a steal.
I also sifted through this thread and found the ember II works wonderfully with the LCD-X, and its only $299 aswell.
Other than that the Deckard and Mjolnir v1 sound like good options as well.

So far the ember II and cavalli sound the best to me, haven't heard much about the pairings though. I've got 3 days to choose as the cavalli drop ends then.
Check out IFI IDSD Micro. The Silver editions selling for around $400 now. Woks great with both my LCD X and HD800 and has 4000mW of power in turbo mode. If you don't like it, I'm sure someone will buy it right up. A low risk, high reward proposition.

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #9,558 of 12,748
Welp Boys, the Cavalli LCX drop has ended. I didn't purchase it since its a new amp (despite claiming to sound identical to a v2 liquid carbon) and the warranty was tied to massdrop. Furthermore, it ships like mid next year haha. So I'm down to a couple options. I can shell out some dough for a wa7, but it would prob just be a gen 1. Other options are a Deckard, Carbon II + Bifrost, or the other amps some dudes were talking about. I'm looking to get a less bright sound compared to my magni 2 u modi 2 stack, if anyone has any suggestions to the amps I mentioned please let me know what I should pick. Thank you!

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #9,559 of 12,748
Welp Boys, the Cavalli LCX drop has ended. I didn't purchase it since its a new amp (despite claiming to sound identical to a v2 liquid carbon) and the warranty was tied to massdrop. Furthermore, it ships like mid next year haha. So I'm down to a couple options. I can shell out some dough for a wa7, but it would prob just be a gen 1. Other options are a Deckard, Carbon II + Bifrost, or the other amps some dudes were talking about. I'm looking to get a less bright sound compared to my magni 2 u modi 2 stack, if anyone has any suggestions to the amps I mentioned please let me know what I should pick. Thank you!
I decided to go for the NFB28 boys. Will update relatively soon on how the pairing sounds compared to the schiit stack.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #9,560 of 12,748
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #9,561 of 12,748
Got a chance to demo the LCD-3's today (no X's I'm afraid). I was quite satisfied with the sound quality, build quality and comfort of them, so I will be in the Audeze family soon.

But...I'm considering buying their demo LCD-3 if the price is right (they're going to call me with an offer closer to or better than the $1200 X price tomorrow morning), but I'm not sure how old it is (fazor or not). New + warranty coverage might be the overriding factor vs their used LCD-3.

With the X being $1200 right now, I'm not sure what price the LCD-3 would need to be negotiated down to for it to make sense. Thoughts?

If you were still in the market, what price would you guys take a used LCD-3 for over a $1,200 LCD-X (assuming you like the LCD-3 sound enough to consider it)? Would a $1,200 or $1,300 asking price be enough of a discount? It had some signs of wear and tear around the wood in areas (could probably be touched up) but otherwise dust-free and well kept. Looks like it's been there for awhile, mostly just sitting on a mannequin. Or is the X just as good such that the X at its current price and new is the no-brainer?

Thanks again, folks.I will be buying one of them tomorrow. Your insights will play a big role.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #9,563 of 12,748
I definitely went X over 3 after auditioning both. I prefer the X's general energy over the 3's darkness. Unless the 3 was significantly cheaper than the X, I'd go X every time.

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #9,564 of 12,748
Oh thanks guys! Really appreciate that feedback.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #9,565 of 12,748
I don't think the price difference will be that great. So if you have any chance to try both, do It but having now the lcd-xs such a competitive price, I would always buy them new.

To choose the lcd3s, the price gap should be big enough to make their purchase irresistible.

Just my humble two cents.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #9,566 of 12,748
I received my lcd x 2017 model, and what a great heapdhone it is. I heard the lcd3 2014, and I have the lcd2 2014 both fazors as well. By far I love the lcd x the most. The sound is so balanced and transparent and in my opinion it handles all genres so well. It has amazing punchy bass that is controlled, and the mids are simply spot on, and to my ears the sound stage is wider than lcd2 or lcd3.

And literally this is the only audeze that my cowon plenue s drives it with big authority. which is simply amazing, for example on my cowon I need to push my audeze sine to a volume of 80 out of 150 but with the lcd x man I reach amazing drive power at 60 which just surprised me. And on my burson v2+ the lcd x is on another level and what a nice pairing with burson.
Now here is the surprise even my iphone 7 plus drives the lcd x in a nice way that totally surprised me, of course not like the cowon, or the amazing Burson V2+

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #9,570 of 12,748
I had a balanced Nutube amp this weekend, the Apex Sangaku.

After listening to it for quite a while, it is amazing. Mids may be slightly forward, but it is flat other than that.
No warm tube gooeyness to get in the way of the music, and it sounds so clear, heard multiple things in songs which I have never heard before with my NFB10. Thought I was past the point in the game where that wouldn't happen anymore.
Also listened to it paired with Utopia for about an hour, and it was amazing.
One downside/upside depending on how you look at it is it has a long decay time which seems to emphasize reverb in recordings. I liked it, you may not.
Coming back to my NFB, it sounds dead.

Pair it with a totl DAC like Gumby and you're set. It is seriously close to the best thing I've ever heard, which was a 100K+ speaker setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back