Audeze LCD-X
Nov 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #8,611 of 12,748
Not sure why you want to use them for mixing; they're more neutral than the LCD 2 and 3, but still wide off the mark of ultimate neutrality. HD800 or SR009 would be much better for that. Even Omega 2.

Theyre flatter than the HD800, and electrostats cant just plug into any mixing board and work.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8,612 of 12,748
Never heard of a studio using HD800s to mix or master. Audeze has several studios using their LCD-Xs.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #8,613 of 12,748
On the subject of 2016 drivers, and the accepted opinion that the treble doesn't make the Xs a perfect classical HP, how is the treble affected with the new drivers?  I'm still toying with the thought of updating at some future date.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #8,614 of 12,748
I'm leaning toward the N90Q, as I think their treble is a bit better even if their midrange is worse (I have plenty of mid-centric cans), and it's the closest thing to a TOTL portable with ANC. It's difficult to go to New York or Berlin and be without my HD800, though it's true I haven't done this since acquiring the K3003. 

LCD-X would fill out my collection, and I will likely get it at some time, but at the moment I'm not feeling the urge.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #8,618 of 12,748
  I tried the LCD-3 today. My ears could touch the fazor and it's damn rough. My ears ended in pain. Is that normal for all LCD fazor models?

I've heard this complaint before. Not often, however. The fazors will likely all have the same clearance/geometry - looks like pre-fazors are for you.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #8,621 of 12,748
Wow.  

I had to step back for about a week or so from my headphone listening... too sick to care.  

Picked up my 2016 edition LCD-X for the first listen in a week, and wow.  One forgets how ridiculously good these things sound.  Especially with tube amplification.  

Recently had the chance to audition the LCD-2 fazor, Focal Elear, MrSpeakers Ether Flow, and Hifiman HE-560, and I felt there was no really compelling reason to replace my LCD-X.   Actually, the HE-560 for the price is surprisingly good.  It might be my second choice, that is if you get one free of rattles.  I never could.  Every pair I tried always had some kind of resonance or vibration.  

One day I will upgrade, but it needs to be significantly better than the LCD-X.  So, that means eventually checking out Focal Utopia, LCD-4, or upper echelon STAX.  

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #8,623 of 12,748
  If you own a LCD-X, is there any reason to add a LCD-2 to the collection?  I'm being tempted by the black friday deals, and can't decide.  

Yes, the would complement each other. The LCD X is a more neutral sounding phone whereas the LCD 2/3 have a laid back sound with the emphasis on the mids and bass section. But I have no experience with the 2016 drivers though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #8,624 of 12,748
  Wow.  

I had to step back for about a week or so from my headphone listening... too sick to care.  

Picked up my 2016 edition LCD-X for the first listen in a week, and wow.  One forgets how ridiculously good these things sound.  Especially with tube amplification.  

Recently had the chance to audition the LCD-2 fazor, Focal Elear, MrSpeakers Ether Flow, and Hifiman HE-560, and I felt there was no really compelling reason to replace my LCD-X.   Actually, the HE-560 for the price is surprisingly good.  It might be my second choice, that is if you get one free of rattles.  I never could.  Every pair I tried always had some kind of resonance or vibration.  

One day I will upgrade, but it needs to be significantly better than the LCD-X.  So, that means eventually checking out Focal Utopia, LCD-4, or upper echelon STAX.  

From your signature, I noticed you also have the silverblue audio silvergold cable.  Wondered how you were finding it.  I noticed an immediate improvement when I switched to them.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #8,625 of 12,748
  If you own a LCD-X, is there any reason to add a LCD-2 to the collection?  I'm being tempted by the black friday deals, and can't decide.  

I own the LCD-X and decided to add the Ether Flow to complement them and fit in-between the X and my HD800.  IMO, the Flow provide much better SQ than the LCD-2.  The best advice always is to listen for yourself, if possible.  The LCD-2 are quite a bit less expensive than the Flow, that would be the only driver.  

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back