Audeze LCD-X
Jul 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,752 of 12,748
My 18 month old LCD-X right driver just failed and I returned it to Audeze for warranty repair.  They indicated they replaced both drivers and leather pads.  My question is what to expect differs in the SQ given the replacements are most likely the latest design/manufacture?  I have not kept up with this forum and the expected LCD-X versions discussed here.  Can anyone comment?  Thanks 

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #6,753 of 12,748
If you like Silver Litz reference which is a very light weight cable and at a very good price ($200) and very very fast delivery. Try Headphone lounge. I have ask him to terminate many of my 3rd party cables and his turn around time is the fastest I have encounter. Do note that the cable look better in real life than those pic.

http://headphonelounge.com/silver-headphone-cables/

For copper, Q audio has one of the best looks and SQ. Their cable are wrapped in silk, is light, flexible and beautiful. It scream high end audiophile. I have used their cable for 5-6 years and they are still one of the best in looks and SQ. They start with $200 and can go up depending on config. The wait time might be a little longer.

http://theaudioguild.com/q-cables/

To be honest, the Audeze stock cable is already very good. Those cable might shape the SQ a little here and but the diff is small. Main diff with using the above cables is because of light weight, the stock is very heavy. Q audio is almost weightless..

Right. Not only is the stock Audeze cable heavy and unsightly, it's also super long for going from nightstand to pillow which is the only place I listen to the big boy cans. I think what I'll do is listen to the stock cable for a week or so and figure out which potential slight improvements in SQ I'd like. 90% of my music is bright-ish and bassy electronic music(Deadmau5, Above & Beyond, Pretty Lights, Kaskade, Flux Pavilion, Bassnectar, Carl Cox, etc). With the rest being old school and modern hip-hop and rock, I think I'll be leaning towards copper to smooth out the highs and get more weight in the lows. Anyone else heavy on the edm? What cable type works best for that genre since a lot of it has soaring and hot treble? Also, how long do the LCD-Xs take to break-in? I listen about 8-12hrs a week.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #6,754 of 12,748
  My 18 month old LCD-X right driver just failed and I returned it to Audeze for warranty repair.  They indicated they replaced both drivers and leather pads.  My question is what to expect differs in the SQ given the replacements are most likely the latest design/manufacture?  I have not kept up with this forum and the expected LCD-X versions discussed here.  Can anyone comment?  Thanks 

Same version. X had Fazors from the start.No significant SQ change posts have filtered on here vs the likes of LCD2/3 threads where 2.1 to F are different cans entirely.

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #6,755 of 12,748
The suspense! My best friend is holding my new LCD-Xs hostage at his house in LA(I live in San Diego). I bought em practically brand new through Craigslist LA and he picked em up/tested them for me. As much as I'm excited for Hard Summer Music Festival up there this weekend, I can't wait til it's over so I can swing by his place and pick up my new cans on the way home!

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6,756 of 12,748
I am using the Wywires Red for my Audez'e LCD-X and XC.  Very happy with these cables.  Alex will make any custom cable that you desire, and advise you on options if you have questions.

http://www.wywires.com/

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #6,757 of 12,748
Dear All,

A brief update...much of my recent listening has been with the HDVA600 - HD800 because I love that rig for classical, jazz and acoustic music.

Today, I decided to rock the head.  Set up the AK120ii - Optical - Gungnir - Wywires Blue - Mjolnir - Wywires Red - LCD-X.

The music feels like coming home from a long business trip to my TempurPedic matress.
Be careful with the volume...past 9 o'clock and you enter the danger zone...

Various music tested and approved:
 - 3 Doors Down "Greatest Hits 2014"  24/48
 - BBA "Live in Tokyo"  16/44.1
 - Gn'R "Appetite for Destruction"  16/44.1
 - Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds"  16/44.1
 - John Mellencamp "Rain on the Scarecrow"  16/44.1
 - Kansas "Masque"  16/44.1
 - CCR "Chronicle: 20 Greatest Hits"  24/96
 - Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti"  24/96
 - SRV "Couldn't Stand the Weather"  16/44.1
 - Yes "Fragile"  24/96 

A fun afternoon, and still a work in progress...

Listening aids:
 - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
 - Rowan's Creek Kentucky bourbon
 - Padron 1964 

Net - IMO a decent rig (need to include all components), and THE LCD-X ROCK !!

My salute to the LCD-X community - enjoy your music !!

Best regards,
RCBinTN

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6,758 of 12,748
  Dear All,

A brief update...much of my recent listening has been with the HDVA600 - HD800 because I love that rig for classical, jazz and acoustic music.

Today, I decided to rock the head.  Set up the AK120ii - Optical - Gungnir - Wywires Blue - Mjolnir - Wywires Red - LCD-X.

The music feels like coming home from a long business trip to my TempurPedic matress.
Be careful with the volume...past 9 o'clock and you enter the danger zone...

Various music tested and approved:
 - 3 Doors Down "Greatest Hits 2014"  24/48
 - BBA "Live in Tokyo"  16/44.1
 - Gn'R "Appetite for Destruction"  16/44.1
 - Van Halen "The Best of Both Worlds"  16/44.1
 - Kansas "Masque"  16/44.1
 - CCR "Chronicle: 20 Greatest Hits"  24/96
 - Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti"  24/96
 - SRV "Couldn't Stand the Weather"  16/44.1
 - Yes "Fragile"  24/96 

A fun afternoon, and still a work in progress...

Listening aids:
 - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
 - Rowan's Creek Kentucky bourbon
 - Padron 1964 

Net - IMO a decent rig (need to include all components), and THE LCD-X ROCK !!

My salute to the LCD-X community - enjoy your music !!

Best regards,
RCBinTN

That man is the reason I was listening with a LCD-X just before I read this post.  Thank you Dick

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #6,759 of 12,748
You Bet !!   On now to Santata "Abraxas"  24/176  ---  WOW !!

Do you think the HEK can really sound better than the LCD-X?

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,761 of 12,748

- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

-Thank you for the inspiration! I haven't listened to Scarecrow in ages, so I just put it on and got reminded how much I like JCM's music - so after it is done playing, I'll take Uh-Huh out for a spin, too. (Which will require me to fire up the turntable for the first time in weeks. How time flies when you're having fun kids.)

Also, I am enjoying a very good craft IPA (of the UK variety) as I type this. Life is good.

(16/44.1 rip->Hackintosh->unbranded USB cable->Benchmark DAC2 HGC->stock cable->LCD-X->slightly worse for wear ears)

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #6,762 of 12,748
I have had these for over three months now and after hearing quite a few flavors of headphones, I can say these are my favorite. Most of the impressions in these thread, I can agree with. I did do some mods which are : Loab  strap, cable, and the velor pads.   The up grades did not change the sound, but vastly improved the comfort and usability.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6,763 of 12,748
i see repeated driver failures reported across all of the audeze lcd line. has there been any explanation from audeze or the community about why these things are so unreliable?

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6,764 of 12,748
I vaguely remember an Audeze spokesman saying that a supplier had provided a batch of bad drivers or associated material sometime in 2013 or early 2014.  It might have been in quoted in the LCD-2 thread but I'm not sure.  I have not heard of major problems with the X and XC models.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6,765 of 12,748

-Thank you for the inspiration! I haven't listened to Scarecrow in ages, so I just put it on and got reminded how much I like JCM's music - so after it is done playing, I'll take Uh-Huh out for a spin, too. (Which will require me to fire up the turntable for the first time in weeks. How time flies when you're having fun kids.)

Also, I am enjoying a very good craft IPA (of the UK variety) as I type this. Life is good.

(16/44.1 rip->Hackintosh->unbranded USB cable->Benchmark DAC2 HGC->stock cable->LCD-X->slightly worse for wear ears)

Great, glad to hear it.  I hadn't heard JCM in a long time, either - sounds very good.
BTW, how does the Benchmark DAC2 HGC pair with the LCD-X?

Cheers,
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back