Audeze LCD-X
Aug 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #6,766 of 12,748
  BTW, how does the Benchmark DAC2 HGC pair with the LCD-X?

-Well, you know me - I am rather simple when it comes to synergies and the like. :)

The DAC2 headphone amp is dead quiet and can drive even the AKG K1000 to Götterdämmerung levels, so no problems with the X. To my ears, it is the proverbial 'wire with gain'.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #6,767 of 12,748

IMO, it's an interesting path we take to HP high fidelity.  It's different for everyone.  These threads help.

Personally, I started by purchasing the LCD-X cans.  When I heard how good they sounded, just with a computer DAC, I started to wonder how far they could go.  What would really improve their SQ?  Then I began to read the threads here on Head-Fi and learned from other members' experience.  There are a ton of opinions, of course.  But those opinions led me first to modest upgrades, like a USB-DAC,  then to a small desktop DAC/amp stack, then to a mid-range balanced DAC/amp, then to better cables, then to hi-res music.  The LCD-X sounded better with each upgrade, which of course was the goal.  My conclusion was these discussions, while sometimes off-track, are quite valuable especially to folks who've just acquired their X and are wondering where to go next.

It's up to you experienced Head-Fi folks to steer them in the right direction!

There are still a ton of potential upgrades out there for me, but now they are getting more expensive.  After time, you will reach the plateau of diminishing returns.  Depends on your personal situation.

Enjoy your music!!
RCBinTNuY​

Your LCD-X's are only as good as your DAC's output SQ.  If you are using a computer source via usb to your DAC, the biggest bang for your buck right now is an Uptone Regen to clean up your dirty computer source.  Will make a huge SQ jump to your X's. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #6,768 of 12,748
  Your LCD-X's are only as good as your DAC's output SQ.  If you are using a computer source via usb to your DAC, the biggest bang for your buck right now is an Uptone Regen to clean up your dirty computer source.  Will make a huge SQ jump to your X's. 

-That would depend heavily on the design of both your source and DAC; as a blanket statement, I don't think it holds up.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #6,769 of 12,748

-That would depend heavily on the design of both your source and DAC; as a blanket statement, I don't think it holds up.

So far it has.  Have yet to hear of anyone credible not benefitting to some degree from the Regen regardless of optimization.  In fact very hard to find anyone who hasn't benefitted from the Regen once correctly implemented in their chain.  Also we are talking about computer sourced USB implementation here. 
Anyways, I only brought up the Regen for those folks looking for a cheap optimization of their digital USB chain.  We can differ on opinions of the potential.  Take it or leave it.  Just trying to share.

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #6,770 of 12,748
  So far it has.  Have yet to hear of anyone credible not benefitting to some degree from the Regen regardless of optimization.  In fact very hard to find anyone who hasn't benefitted from the Regen once correctly implemented in their chain.  Also we are talking about computer sourced USB implementation here. 
Anyways, I only brought up the Regen for those folks looking for a cheap optimization of their digital USB chain.  We can differ on opinions of the potential.  Take it or leave it.  Just trying to share.

The Uptone Regen seems to improve the SQ in many system, but which other USB implementations have YOU compared it to?

It’s a jungle out there 
wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #6,771 of 12,748

The Uptone Regen seems to improve the SQ in many system, but which other USB implementations have YOU compared it to?

It’s a jungle out there 
wink_face.gif

You are correct.  I should disclaim that I've only attempted and experienced great results with the system chain in my signature below.  Otherwise my knowledge comes second hand from another forums members experiences.  Just thought I would share those results and thoughts for other LCD-X'ers.  Here's to better SQ for all.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #6,772 of 12,748

-No worries, I (honestly!) appreciate the product being brought to my attention, though at $175 I think I'll probably go for the Schiit Wyrd ($99) should I ever run into USB problems. My objection was directed at the generalisation, not the product itself.

At present, I do most of my (digital source) listening using an iMac as a source and my DAC2 HGC as a fancy USB soundcard, not noting any issues which may be attributable to USB at all - though, obviously, other configurations may differ. For instance, my ($99, USB-powered) nuforce uDAC would occasionally tick if I connected it to the same USB hub as my USB scanner - though the problem was easily remedied by moving the uDAC to another USB socket on the computer using it as a sound card.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #6,773 of 12,748
wink_face.gif
Go LCD-X

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,774 of 12,748
  In my opinion, all computer generated streamed audio via USB is electrically tainted, which effects all DAC's SQ performance, just on different degrees.  Thus poorer LCD-X performance.

I have to add that I believe the Regen has certainly helped to uncover more detail and stripped away some grunge from my setup.  I was not really blown away with my Xs as I thought I should be (victom of hype?)... until now.
I don't have the money to spend on experimenting with alternatives, so I lucked out on the Regen.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6,775 of 12,748
Hi,

I have a question about the SQ of LCD-X.
I have iFi iDSD as dac to Audio-GD NFB-1 AMP, using LCD-X with balanced cable.
I use to listen to this setup for music and pretty happy with it.
However, today with the same setup, but using Denon AH-D5000, while listening to
a music that I play the most, I heard an instrument sound that I have never noticed before.
The sound is short and soft, but very clear, so it surprises me because with LCD-X, I have
never notice it before.
So, I switch back and forth the two headphone, by tuning the foobar2000, dac and AMP's volume,
I now can hear it with LCD-X, but it would have to be louder than using Denon's, and it hurts my ear.
The worse to my feeling is, Denon's sound is clearer than LCD-X's in term of the new found sound in the music.

Given that LCD-X is 3x the price than Denon's, I wonder what is wrong in the setup.
My question is, Is there any change that can make LCD-X really sound better than Denon's. (more detailed?)
Such as tuning the setup, or better device in the chain, like a better DAC (does it really help, I wonder).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #6,776 of 12,748
  Hi,

I have a question about the SQ of LCD-X.
I have iFi iDSD as dac to Audio-GD NFB-1 AMP, using LCD-X with balanced cable.
I use to listen to this setup for music and pretty happy with it.
However, today with the same setup, but using Denon AH-D5000, while listening to
a music that I play the most, I heard an instrument sound that I have never noticed before.
The sound is short and soft, but very clear, so it surprises me because with LCD-X, I have
never notice it before.
So, I switch back and forth the two headphone, by tuning the foobar2000, dac and AMP's volume,
I now can hear it with LCD-X, but it would have to be louder than using Denon's, and it hurts my ear.
The worse to my feeling is, Denon's sound is clearer than LCD-X's in term of the new found sound in the music.

Given that LCD-X is 3x the price than Denon's, I wonder what is wrong in the setup.
My question is, Is there any change that can make LCD-X really sound better than Denon's. (more detailed?)
Such as tuning the setup, or better device in the chain, like a better DAC (does it really help, I wonder).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Yes, you change the synergy of your system chain and the LCD-X's will really show you why they are one of the best.on the market.  I would say, with confidence, that your usb feed to the iFi DSD is in need of cleaner source.  See Regen up above.  Then do your comparison again.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #6,778 of 12,748
  @elviscaprice, Thanks, I will start from there.

Have you tried, in FB2K, using a setting other than direct sound (DS)?  Not positive, but I tried KS and ASIO and seem to think I have clearer sound.  And that was before I used the Regen, which was definitely a huge improvement to me.  My X's have been taken up to a new level, and I'd never part with them.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,779 of 12,748

Have you tried, in FB2K, using a setting other than direct sound (DS)?  Not positive, but I tried KS and ASIO and seem to think I have clearer sound.  And that was before I used the Regen, which was definitely a huge improvement to me.  My X's have been taken up to a new level, and I'd never part with them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried DS, KS, WASAPI, both KS, WASAPI(event) are a little better (clearer) than DS - for the particular sound in the track I mentioned
I used Dr.dac2 + Beyer DT770 at office for this driver comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back