Audeze LCD-X
Aug 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #6,796 of 12,748
Anybody have or try a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cable with their LCD-Xs? If so, what are your impressions over the stock cable? I'm looking for a little more bass and smoothness to the highs as well as maybe opening up of the soundstage.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #6,798 of 12,748
Anybody have or try a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cable with their LCD-Xs? If so, what are your impressions over the stock cable? I'm looking for a little more bass and smoothness to the highs as well as maybe opening up of the soundstage.

Yes, I have them, the 1/4 inch, 15 ft. long Black Dragons.  I just needed something more durable than the stock cables, longer and good SQ.  I would say they are darker than the stock cables, very neutral (I think the stock cables are a tad bright, but that was before I optimized my PC, so maybe they are just right now?).  Which suits me just fine.  Honestly I listen far more to my Maggies these days, enjoying the full room air, better imaging. 
I think economy wise it's much more important to improve the SQ feed of the source first and upmost.  I probably could have gotten by with a cheaper source of Headphone cable for my needs to be honest but not disappointed in the Black Dragons.

On further reflection to what I just posted, after optimizing my PC audio to overwhelming bass and mids with the Hugo.  I would get the silver version of the Dragons for the LCD X, but for you, depends on your source/DAC optimization, if the stock cables are too bright for you now, get the Black.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #6,799 of 12,748
 I'm looking for a little more bass and smoothness to the highs as well as maybe opening up of the soundstage.

multi-bit dac ?

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #6,801 of 12,748
-EQ, preferably parametric?

EQs and a new DAC would definitely do the trick, but I'm only using Tidal HiFi via iPhone 6 usb to a WA7tp on my nightstand for the LCD-Xs. That kind of equipment would be costly and wouldn't fit aesthetically. I've already got the sound about 90-95% of where I want it through tube rolls, but I just need the slightest bit more low end weight and treble taming. So yup, after reading elviscaprice's reply I think the Black Dragon cable might be just what I need.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #6,802 of 12,748
EQs and a new DAC would definitely do the trick, but I'm only using Tidal HiFi via iPhone 6 usb to a WA7tp on my nightstand for the LCD-Xs. That kind of equipment would be costly and wouldn't fit aesthetically. I've already got the sound about 90-95% of where I want it through tube rolls, but I just need the slightest bit more low end weight and treble taming. So yup, after reading elviscaprice's reply I think the Black Dragon cable might be just what I need.

-I am an Android guy, so I wouldn't know - but have you looked in the app store? There are several excellent software-based parametric EQ solutions out there.

Perhaps not par for the course in some audiophile circles, but given the cost of the average app, it would be very cheap to try out - even if you find it not to be to your liking for critical listening, it may provide lots and lots of edutainment.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #6,803 of 12,748
I don't know what it was about this particular show, but the newHBO miniseries "Show Me a Hero" sounds fantastic on the Xs. Most of the effects are very sublte, but there is a lot of Springsteen and 80s music that also sounds great. 

Jury is still out on the show, but it's got my attention. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #6,805 of 12,748
Ditto.
That's the one I choose most of the time.

Interesting. What do you like about the Q cable over the Black Dragon?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,806 of 12,748
Got my LCD-X today. It sounds absolutely amazing even from my humble Cayin C5 amp. It's super efficient and easy to drive. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the synergy of the LCD-X and JDS Labs O2 amp. I look forward to hear your honest feedback...good or bad...as long as it's not a prejudiced trashing of the O2 just because it's cheaper than those TOTL amps. Thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #6,807 of 12,748
  Got my LCD-X today. It sounds absolutely amazing even from my humble Cayin C5 amp. It's super efficient and easy to drive. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the synergy of the LCD-X and JDS Labs O2 amp. I look forward to hear your honest feedback...good or bad...as long as it's not a prejudiced trashing of the O2 just because it's cheaper than those TOTL amps. Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with the JDS thing...I just wanted to say welcome to the club and enjoy those black beauties!! Such amazing headphones they are...

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #6,808 of 12,748
  Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the synergy of the LCD-X and JDS Labs O2 amp. I look forward to hear your honest feedback...good or bad...as long as it's not a prejudiced trashing of the O2 just because it's cheaper than those TOTL amps.

-I tried the LCD-2 (basically same-ish design as the LCD-X, though with a slightly higher impedance) with an O2 a few months ago; it worked a charm and had no problems whatsoever driving the headphones to way beyond comfortable listening levels without any sign of running out of oomph.

No discernible background noise (whether it was run from batteries or a wall wart), and overall an impressive piece of kit.

My one gripe with it would be that the controls feel a little flimsy - note FEEL; I have no reason to believe they wouldn't stand up to normal use for years. They just don't feel as substantial as the controls on, say, Tascam gear (manufactured for pro use and a knob will easily set you back as much as a complete O2...)

Bottom line - I'd buy an O2 in a heartbeat if I didn't already have the amps I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back