Audeze LCD-X
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #6,736 of 12,748
-In my experience, any perceived difference between competently designed cables (beyond aesthetic) can be attributed to the placebo effect.

The stock Audeze cables are competently designed.

Note that this opinion is based on experience and listening tests only.

+1

It makes no sense to me whatsoever that cables would make any difference unless the wire was upgraded all the way to the drivers....and even then...

EDIT: Whoa, looks like the cable debate raged after I posted this...oh well, just my experience. YMMV. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #6,737 of 12,748

+1

It makes no sense to me whatsoever that cables would make any difference unless the wire was upgraded all the way to the drivers....and even then...

Yes, I never understood how the expensive cable would overcome the perceived limits of the stock cabling between mini-XLR and driver behind the grill.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #6,738 of 12,748
  Yes, I never understood how the expensive cable would overcome the perceived limits of the stock cabling between mini-XLR and driver behind the grill.

Exactly. Unless those connectors also get upgraded to the better quality material, I dont see how it would make any difference...but that's just me. And you. lol

Regardless of the cable, I still love my LCD-Xs though :)

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #6,739 of 12,748
It's a great headphone none the less.  No cable debate here; but I had tried expensive after market silver cabling and upgraded copper cabling in the past.  The did make a change to its sonic character from the source to my ears between both cables being switched with identical source playback material.  At the end of the day...  the stock cables were fine and in no way lessened the enjoyment of playback.  It's all a matter of preference...   

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #6,740 of 12,748
Eeeeee..is this a bad time? What's up guys! I need some cable advice cuz I'm joining the LCD-X club next Monday! I'd say I'm maybe one notch above a total headphone noob. P7--->EL-8 Open--->LCD-X and Fiio E12--->WA7tp/a few ps tube rolls. Anyway, I'm an aesthetics guy and a bit of a basshead just as much as audiophile, so I already don't like the looks of my soon to be delivered LCD-X's stock cables. Now before some of you dogpile on me about upgrade cables being wastes of money as far as SQ, I'm honestly 50/50 looking for some for looks/performance. I'm trying to keep em in the $300 price range, copper OCC, and I love the way Double Helix Molecule SE cables look but THREE MONTHS shipping time??! Is there anything comparable looks-wise in that price range that'll ship quicker? I've read tons of head-fi pages about copper vs silver vs hybrids as far as SQ, and for my music (EDM, Hip-Hop) I'm thinking the neutral qualities of copper would work best. My WA7tp is pretty lively so any kind of silver would probably be way too forward sounding for me. Am I getting all this right? Anyway, I'd love to read some of you guys' impressions of your upgrade cables. Especially if you're using a WA7. Cheers!

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #6,741 of 12,748
Eeeeee..is this a bad time? What's up guys! I need some cable advice cuz I'm joining the LCD-X club next Monday! I'd say I'm maybe one notch above a total headphone noob. P7--->EL-8 Open--->LCD-X and Fiio E12--->WA7tp/a few ps tube rolls. Anyway, I'm an aesthetics guy and a bit of a basshead just as much as audiophile, so I already don't like the looks of my soon to be delivered LCD-X's stock cables. Now before some of you dogpile on me about upgrade cables being wastes of money as far as SQ, I'm honestly 50/50 looking for some for looks/performance. I'm trying to keep em in the $300 price range, copper OCC, and I love the way Double Helix Molecule SE cables look but THREE MONTHS shipping time??! Is there anything comparable looks-wise in that price range that'll ship quicker? I've read tons of head-fi pages about copper vs silver vs hybrids as far as SQ, and for my music (EDM, Hip-Hop) I'm thinking the neutral qualities of copper would work best. My WA7tp is pretty lively so any kind of silver would probably be way too forward sounding for me. Am I getting all this right? Anyway, I'd love to read some of you guys' impressions of your upgrade cables. Especially if you're using a WA7. Cheers!

I'm sure you know, but the stock cable is quite good. I tried my friends AOL Green Line with your setup and could not tell a difference, but that's just my ears and I wouldn't call the Green Line a looker. I've been looking at Norne for pure aesthetics (some killer looking cables) and for a shorter cable (the stock Audeze is pretty long), but that won't be a quick order. All I know is that you are going to love the WA7+LCD-X - Great combo. Congrats!

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #6,742 of 12,748

I'm sure you know, but the stock cable is quite good. I tried my friends AOL Green Line with your setup and could not tell a difference, but that's just my ears and I wouldn't call the Green Line a looker. I've been looking at Norne for pure aesthetics (some killer looking cables) and for a shorter cable (the stock Audeze is pretty long), but that won't be a quick order. All I know is that you are going to love the WA7+LCD-X - Great combo. Congrats!

+1 on Norne.  Norne Draug v2:  Copper litz, great build quality and aesthetically pleasing.  I can't really say if it improved the sound quality because I received the Draug the day after I got the LCD-X.  I only used the stock cable about an hour.  My cable was $200 with a show discount($254 without)and about 45 days from order to shipment received.picture is with 1/4 adapter purchased later (approx. $90)

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #6,743 of 12,748
Anyway, I'm an aesthetics guy and a bit of a basshead just as much as audiophile, so I already don't like the looks of my soon to be delivered LCD-X's stock cables. 

-As far as sound quality goes, the stock cables are hard to beat, but they do have a rather - ahem - utilitarian look to them.

This is a serious suggestion, though it may come across as a bit tongue-in-cheek: Have you considered just pulling some heat-shrink tubing over the stock cable and heating it? It will give you a heftier cable with a much more pleasing appearance at a cost of on the order of a buck a foot.

I haven't treated my Audeze cable in this way, but have made my own cable harnesses in the past to clean up the clutter behind the hifi rack, computer desk etc, etc. Looks great, is dirt cheap.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,745 of 12,748
+1 on Norne.  Norne Draug v2:  Copper litz, great build quality and aesthetically pleasing.  I can't really say if it improved the sound quality because I received the Draug the day after I got the LCD-X.  I only used the stock cable about an hour.  My cable was $200 with a show discount($254 without)and about 45 days from order to shipment received.
picture is with 1/4 adapter purchased later (approx. $90)

Whoa that thing does look really cool. I'll definitely look into the Nornes. Haha I'm glad there's others in this thread that care about aesthetics. I mean, when you already spent a ton on the LCD-X, a piece of artwork like the WA7tp, and a matching Woo headphones stand, what's wrong with finishing the picture with a sexy cable that MIGHT polish up the sound a little? Well I guess I can't get away from these long shipping times, but that's understandable since they're custom making you a specific cable. Thanks for the advice guys!

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #6,746 of 12,748
Do any of you LCD X owners also have Vega dac?

Right here.  Current system Gustard H10 + Auralic Vega + Audeze LCD-X.  Bought the Vega used about 3 weeks ago after hearing the Liquid Carbon + Vega at the Nashville meet.  The LC should arrive in about a month.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #6,747 of 12,748
If you like Silver Litz reference which is a very light weight cable and at a very good price ($200) and very very fast delivery. Try Headphone lounge. I have ask him to terminate many of my 3rd party cables and his turn around time is the fastest I have encounter. Do note that the cable look better in real life than those pic.

http://headphonelounge.com/silver-headphone-cables/

For copper, Q audio has one of the best looks and SQ. Their cable are wrapped in silk, is light, flexible and beautiful. It scream high end audiophile. I have used their cable for 5-6 years and they are still one of the best in looks and SQ. They start with $200 and can go up depending on config. The wait time might be a little longer.

http://theaudioguild.com/q-cables/

To be honest, the Audeze stock cable is already very good. Those cable might shape the SQ a little here and but the diff is small. Main diff with using the above cables is because of light weight, the stock is very heavy. Q audio is almost weightless..

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #6,748 of 12,748
Right here.  Current system Gustard H10 + Auralic Vega + Audeze LCD-X.  Bought the Vega used about 3 weeks ago after hearing the Liquid Carbon + Vega at the Nashville meet.  The LC should arrive in about a month.

Thats great combo,exactly what I would buy,ur my soulmate ♥

Did you tried listening directly from Vega without any amp?

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,749 of 12,748
Thats great combo,exactly what I would buy,ur my soulmate ♥

Did you tried listening directly from Vega without any amp?

No, didn't know that was possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back