Audeze LCD-X
Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #4,546 of 12,748
Thanks for the feedback, for I hope to get the lcd-x sometime early next year. I shave my head and feel it would suffer from how the lcd-x bothered you head. Please have a good night.
P.s Have you tried any frank zappa on your remarkable x's. Zappa sounds Devine on me Alpha Dogs.

You're welcome - the folically challenged have to help each other out
wink_face.gif

Not yet on the Zappa - thanks for the suggestion - something I will have to try.

I have heard good things about the Alpha Dogs - I might be wanting to add a closed headphone to my collection and the Alpha Dogs are on my shortlist (as is the LCD-XC). Have you had a chance to compare the Alpha Dogs to the LCD-XC?

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,547 of 12,748
Gentlemen, as a fellow chrome domer I wanted to share that it may be the shape/contour as well as the lack of natural padding causing the discomfort. I shave my head, too, and neither the LCD-X nor the 3 bother me a bit. So don't assume you'll need the creative solution TonyNewman will no doubt patent, allowing him to retire on a private island with his audio gear 
wink.gif

Tony -- do you mind sharing how you decide when to use your HE6 vs. the X? I'm curious if it's by genre or some other criteria. I demo'd the HE6, but prior to having adequate power to drive them. I am now deciding between the X and the 3. Given the strong positives on the HE6 with the right amp, I am tempted to at least demo them again once my M9 arrives. I just wonder how I would share the listening time between two planars. It's easier for me to imagine having a pair of Senn 800 since they're so different. Just curious.

Reddog - I have recently enjoyed Welcome to the PleasureDome on CD (fully digital recording) with the X. A pleasure indeed 
L3000.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #4,548 of 12,748

Tony -- do you mind sharing how you decide when to use your HE6 vs. the X? I'm curious if it's by genre or some other criteria. I demo'd the HE6, but prior to having adequate power to drive them. I am now deciding between the X and the 3. Given the strong positives on the HE6 with the right amp, I am tempted to at least demo them again once my M9 arrives. I just wonder how I would share the listening time between two planars. It's easier for me to imagine having a pair of Senn 800 since they're so different. Just curious.

Hi Shaker,

I am very new to HeadFi, so am still feeling my way with my new toys (HD800/LCD-X/HE6). The HE6 feels a little more neutral to me (as does the HD800), so for rock and pop type of listening I'll probably go for the LCD-X, for something more orchestral/classical I'll go for the HE6/HD800. Not a hard rule at all, sometimes I will reach for the HE6 for a longer session because they are significantly lighter than the LCD-X. Ditto the HD800.

In hindsight, the LCD3 + HE6 might have been a better choice of planars as it would provide more difference between them as the LCD3 is more coloured than the LCD-X (so I am told). Having said that, I really enjoy the LCD-X, especially now with the comfy headpad
dt880smile.png

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #4,549 of 12,748
  Hi Shaker,

I am very new to HeadFi, so am still feeling my way with my new toys (HD800/LCD-X/HE6). The HE6 feels a little more neutral to me (as does the HD800), so for rock and pop type of listening I'll probably go for the LCD-X, for something more orchestral/classical I'll go for the HE6/HD800. Not a hard rule at all, sometimes I will reach for the HE6 for a longer session because they are significantly lighter than the LCD-X. Ditto the HD800.

In hindsight, the LCD3 + HE6 might have been a better choice of planars as it would provide more difference between them as the LCD3 is more coloured than the LCD-X (so I am told). Having said that, I really enjoy the LCD-X, especially now with the comfy headpad
dt880smile.png

Hey Tony,

Based on our respective join dates you're a vet.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on your various cans and how you choose when to use them. Reading your comments reminded me how I was tempted to keep the HD800 for classical/opera, among other uses. FWIW I would agree that the 3 is more colored or coloured 
wink.gif
 compared to the X. That's one of the reasons why I'm leaning toward the X, as I will at least initially keep one flagship can -- have an old set of SR60 besides some middle of the road IEM. 

The reason I stumbled into the HeadFi world in the first place is the fact that I grew tired of waiting for my 2 channel speakers to get delivered (months of delay) and my little kiddos who would not react well to the house reverberating after 6:30pm (which would also lead to my wife changing the locks).

The HD800 were super comfortable. And while the Audeze are heavier, for whatever reason I don't really notice them after I get into listening for a stretch of time.

That said, I'm loving the Audeze's and feel like a kid anticipating the arrival of the M9 (currently using my Oppo 105D).

Enjoy your array of cans and your headpad!

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #4,550 of 12,748
You're welcome - the folically challenged have to help each other out :wink_face:

Not yet on the Zappa - thanks for the suggestion - something I will have to try.

I have heard good things about the Alpha Dogs - I might be wanting to add a closed headphone to my collection and the Alpha Dogs are on my shortlist (as is the LCD-XC). Have you had a chance to compare the Alpha Dogs to the LCD-XC?
I have not had a chance yet, hoping to attend a head-on meet soon. There is video where the alpha dogs are compared to the lcd-xc and one other can. The video said the lcd-xc had a better sound stage and a bit better sound...smoother but warmer not as neutral as the alpha dogs.:)

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4,551 of 12,748
  I like the LCD-X after 100 hours burn-in on pink noise, but they still have a tonal balance with greater sibilance than many other phones, in particular the LCD-2.2. I know there are people here who don't hear any sibilance in the LCD-X but are you saying that compared to the LCD-2? 

Another question: my 2.2 is several years old. How much has the 2 changed in recent years? Has it changed tonal balance? How does the fazor assembly affect it?

And finally, how does the tonal balance of the 3 compare to the X? I could always sell my X and get an LCD-3 if I would be happier that way.

My guess based on your comments about the "X" is you'll soon trade them for the LCD-3F.
Ask the forum for their comparison of these cans related to sibilance...

All the Best,
RCBiinTN

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #4,552 of 12,748
I am considering a higher-powered amp for my phones, all of which are currently low-impedance but in the future I want to drive higher-impedance cans like the HD-800.  I've also seen comments about the LCD-X responding well to more power.  My current rig is the Schiit A2/B that sounds OK, but I think there is room for improvement.  I have seen many favorable comments on this thread about the Chord Hugo and the Taurus amps.  I would appreciate your input about driving the LCD-X and cans like the HD-800 with the A2, Hugo and Taurus.  Thank you.

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4,553 of 12,748
  I am considering a higher-powered amp for my phones, all of which are currently low-impedance but in the future I want to drive higher-impedance cans like the HD-800.  I've also seen comments about the LCD-X responding well to more power.  My current rig is the Schiit A2/B that sounds OK, but I think there is room for improvement.  I have seen many favorable comments on this thread about the Chord Hugo and the Taurus amps.  I would appreciate your input about driving the LCD-X and cans like the HD-800 with the A2, Hugo and Taurus.  Thank you.

I have never heard the Hugo - so can't comment on it. Tyll's review of the Taurus tells that story a lot better than I can - link below.

Mine drives anything I throw at it with authority - including my HE6. Very happy with it.

Link

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,554 of 12,748
  I'm hoping in the future to get the LCD-X and Chord Hugo.  Currently have the LCD-2. 
I'm still wondering though, which is better for rock, LCD-3F or LCD-X?  I'm assuming LCD-X because of it's greater treble presence and (less than LCD-3 but nevertheless) harder hitting bass.

Listening to this combination atm - only complaint is the heat and moisture around my ears courtesy of the ear cups but when you live in this climate that's a given over longer listening sessions. I rarely listen to my 2.2 and I haven't heard the 3 or 3F but if it's bass you're after I can strongly recommend the Fidelio X1 - awesome VFM cans if somewhat lacking in the neutrality department. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #4,555 of 12,748
Listening to this combination atm - only complaint is the heat and moisture around my ears courtesy of the ear cups but when you live in this climate that's a given over longer listening sessions. I rarely listen to my 2.2 and I haven't heard the 3 or 3F but if it's bass you're after I can strongly recommend the Fidelio X1 - awesome VFM cans if somewhat lacking in the neutrality department. 

Maybe the vegan pads would work better.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #4,556 of 12,748
The suede pads and earband are so tacky. Audeze accidentally sent me the vegan suede pads instead of the leather. No way I would pay 1700 for something that looked so cheap. Especially considering the leather looks glorious and feels amazing. Good idea but it's a serious downgrade to suede in my opinion.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #4,557 of 12,748
just got the studio six yesterday.

amp souds fenomenal with the lcd-x

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #4,558 of 12,748
just got the studio six yesterday.

amp souds fenomenal with the lcd-x

Would love to hear more about that pairing S6 & LCD-X, also how does it work with your HD800's?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #4,559 of 12,748

I have never heard the Hugo - so can't comment on it. Tyll's review of the Taurus tells that story a lot better than I can - link below.

Mine drives anything I throw at it with authority - including my HE6. Very happy with it.

Link

For the record, that was John Grandberg's review. I do have one here, however, as my current reference rig and love it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #4,560 of 12,748
For the record, that was John Grandberg's review. I do have one here, however, as my current reference rig and love it.
Tyll, now that I know what your reference amp is I wanted to ask you what are you using for a DAC and do you think that the technology exhibited in the Chord Hugo will bring us to a place where most audio equipment will be no larger than a pack of cigarettes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back