Audeze LCD-X
Jun 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4,276 of 12,748

You're taking that post and the originator far too seriously. Of course Audeze arent going to tell mere mortals like ourselves what they've got in the pipeline - I have to wonder if Schiit cannibalized their own sales by announcing the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok way before either was ready to ship. They have the advantage of a large range of products across different price brackets - Audeze have 4 expensive headphones ..... 

well, i wasn't real sure how serious it was, just erred on the side of caution, i don't like coming off too much like a smart a** when i have some doubt
i wondered the same with schiit, also now hifiman as well with the delays with the 560
but, i've never really been in sales , so there you go ! lol 

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #4,277 of 12,748
well, i wasn't real sure how serious it was, just erred on the side of caution, i don't like coming off too much like a smart a** when i have some doubt
i wondered the same with schiit, also now hifiman as well with the delays with the 560
but, i've never really been in sales , so there you go ! lol 
We could always break into the factory and find out mate I'll give you a bunk over the wall and keep tabs while you do the honours

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #4,278 of 12,748
We could always break into the factory and find out mate I'll give you a bunk over the wall and keep tabs while you do the honours

ph34r.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #4,279 of 12,748
LCD-X is scaling up very nicely with the new amp and dac.  Was primarily listening via Chord Hugo or with Hugo and various other mid fi amps, but really slowed down listening when I got my new Stax Rig in place.  However, with the new Lampizator and Eddie Current 2A3 Mk IV, the LCD-X suddenly have new life and the new equipment still needs to burn in.  LCD-X has a fuller and warmer sound while still maintaining or improving its dynamics and speed.  So don't be shy to hook your LCD-X to a higher end equipment even though they are easy to drive as I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,280 of 12,748
Audeze's website says the following: "The X is sensitive enough to be driven directly by portable players like iPods, iPhones, and the better smartphones but an external amplifier produces better results."

I am curious as to how good the LCD-X is out of something like an Ipad or an Iphone. Before anybody tells me that it is a waste to buy a $1,700 headphone and not invest in a decent head amp, I get that. But there are times where I want to listen in my bedroom which just doesn't have (and is not going to have) a head amp setup, or when I would like something decent for travel.

In this regard I am interested in the Oppo PM-1/2 as well, but was curious as to how the LCD-X fared given their improved efficiency. Would you say you are getting even 75% or more of their capability out of a decent portable device. I love the LCD-X but have only had the opportunity to hear them out of very high end amps like Aurilic and Macintosh and Red Wine Audio. I am sure that none of you are regularly running these off of a tablet or phone, but to the extent you have given it a go (or are willing to give it a try), I would be interested in your feedback.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #4,281 of 12,748
Audeze's website says the following: "The X is sensitive enough to be driven directly by portable players like iPods, iPhones, and the better smartphones but an external amplifier produces better results."

I am curious as to how good the LCD-X is out of something like an Ipad or an Iphone. Before anybody tells me that it is a waste to buy a $1,700 headphone and not invest in a decent head amp, I get that. But there are times where I want to listen in my bedroom which just doesn't have (and is not going to have) a head amp setup, or when I would like something decent for travel.

In this regard I am interested in the Oppo PM-1/2 as well, but was curious as to how the LCD-X fared given their improved efficiency. Would you say you are getting even 75% or more of their capability out of a decent portable device. I love the LCD-X but have only had the opportunity to hear them out of very high end amps like Aurilic and Macintosh and Red Wine Audio. I am sure that none of you are regularly running these off of a tablet or phone, but to the extent you have given it a go (or are willing to give it a try), I would be interested in your feedback.

I have used the LCD-X straight out of an iPhone 5 and it sound pretty good, volume was at or near max however. So yes you could use a phone/tablet to run them, but as expected they scale with better source and amp. Have you thought about a Chord Hugo so you can always have your Dac/amp with you whatever room your in. I sold all my other kit and just use the LCD-X or JH13 with Hugo. Don't regret it for one second...sounds amazing.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #4,282 of 12,748

It works, but is far from optimal. Once you've heard it on a proper rig, listening to them from an iPhone just sounds lifeless. For travel or bedside, might I recommend a HeadAmp Pico. It's a terrific DAC/Amp that allows you to get digital out of the iPhone using the lightning to USB adapter. The Amp section is plenty of power to bring the LCD-X(C) to life. And it's small enough to fit right inside the travel case.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #4,283 of 12,748

I'm with Leesure on this - you will probably want a decent portable amp if you are serious about hooking the X up to a portable device. Spent a bit of time last night with the LCD-X from my Furutech ADL X1 configured as DAC/amp out of my Mac Mini and it was surprisingly good - plugging them into my (non-EU) Sony NW-ZX1 this morning I only need about 65% on the digital volume control to get ample volume, but its just not the same relaxed power delivery as I experience with the Chord Hugo->Auralic Taurus combination. It's definitely brighter and more upfront than with my Shure SE425 in-ears, if you can conceive of an Audeze headphone that sounds 'bright'. Bear in mind that it's first thing in the morning here and I've allowed very little time for my ears to make the necessary adjustments, but I doubt that the 'in-your-face' aspect will disappear anytime soon. Switching to my 4th Gen iTouch I only need about 55% of the available volume to get things happening with the LCD-X, but again it seems harsher and more digital than I've become accustomed to from the full-house rig on my desktop. I dont blame Apple or Sony for any of the above - I sincerely doubt that either player was designed to drive these cans to anything resembling their potential - just saying how it is for me. Hooking the iTouch to my ADL X1 via USB, I suddenly have a lot of what was missing from the headphone out into the X, especially the oomph in the lower registers. Not sure what some of the naysayers in the X1 thread were looking for, but I love this little box-o-tricks - might be some unrealistic expectations at the relatively high pricepoint given the competition, but if you get a change to hear it with your portable player I'd definitely take that opportunity. 

In a pinch, I guess we'd like to be able to drive all our cans from a portable device (particularly the road warriors among us - a hotel room can feel like a prison without decent music) but of all the cans I wouldn't want to take any further than my front door, the Audeze duo (I also have the LCD2R2) rank even higher than the light-and-comfortable-if-somewhat-huge HD800,  Of the few pairs of fullsize cans I currently own, Philips is the only company to make a headphone with the 'right' form factor, even if the earcups do get a little warm. Sadly, I've yet to find the perfect portable on-ear or over-ear headphone but I'll put some more time in with the NAD HP50 in the fervent hope that I can hear some of the magic Tyll attributes to these headphones. Hope this long-winded rant helps in some way. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #4,284 of 12,748
I auditioned my LCD-X straight out of my iPhone and at the time it sounded great. However nowadays I always listen to it amped even out of my AK 240. I find the ALO rx3b+ a good match, a beast of a portable amp which is comparable with a competent desktop. The bass boost is a subtle way to add some tasteful fill bass to the LCD-X too. It won't get you up to a Taurus in SQ which is a particularly synergistic combination however..

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,285 of 12,748
Thanks for the replies. The Chord Hugo, while it sounds like a great piece of kit, is way more than I would want to spend on an amp, portable or otherwise. The Pico sounds pretty reasonable though and is something I would consider.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #4,286 of 12,748
Thanks for the replies. The Chord Hugo, while it sounds like a great piece of kit, is way more than I would want to spend on an amp, portable or otherwise. The Pico sounds pretty reasonable though and is something I would consider.

Pico is great portable amp/dac.  Might consider the high powered micro sized combo units like GeekOut.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #4,287 of 12,748

Pico is great portable amp/dac.  Might consider the high powered micro sized combo units like GeekOut.

Is the GeekOut available anywhere. I heard it (or at least a prototype) at the fall 2013 head-fi meetup on Long Island. It drove the LCD-2 perfectly fine much to my surprise given its size. But I see it is still on pre-order on its site. It has been like that for months so am wondering when it will be released.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,289 of 12,748
  Is the GeekOut available anywhere. I heard it (or at least a prototype) at the fall 2013 head-fi meetup on Long Island. It drove the LCD-2 perfectly fine much to my surprise given its size. But I see it is still on pre-order on its site. It has been like that for months so am wondering when it will be released.

its shipped to the kickstarter folks, i've seen some on the B/S/T forum, for the lcd2, i'd go for the geekout 1000, i had a 720, its awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back