Audeze LCD-X
Apr 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3,872 of 12,748

Rudi,

Both the LCD-X and XC have the same drivers in them. They are identical headphones excepting that the XC had damped wood cups instead of damping and a grille.

wink_face.gif

I contacted Audeze in regards to converting my XC to X as I no longer need the closed back and prefer something a bit lighter for long work day listening.  Their response was you cannot convert from the XC to X.  Would have assumed you just unscrew the wood cups, fit some damping and screw on the grill.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,874 of 12,748
I have a pair of these arriving this week to go with my Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amplifier.  I went to a dealer with the intention of spending £1k but none of the ones I tried (Audeze LCD-2, Sennheiser HD800, Grado GS1000i and a few others that I can't remember!) were much better than my 10 years old Sennheiser HD580.  Just to see if an extra £500 would make much difference, I tried the LCD-X and it had all of the good bits from the other headphones and none of the downsides.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,876 of 12,748
The X has stellar synergy with the Chord Hugo, sounds just phenomenal.  And the Hugo powers the can splendidly straight from the unit.  See Hugo post for further impressions.

1,000 percent agree. And I listened today to the Hugo with my LCD-XC and it was stellar as well. But for perfection the Hugo plus the X is the ticket.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3,877 of 12,748
Holy Origami! This Hugo thing costs more than my HIFIMAN EF-6 and FOSTEX HP-A8C! :confused:

And it's portable? :cool:

Wonder how it stacks up to the Cavalli liquid gold? :confused_face_2:

But golds a lot more green and not portable - I'll have to hear Hugo myself - just hope Cavalli doesn't get jealous... :blink:

...relationships - can get messy - but I'll always be faithful to my beloved LCD-X's... :happy_face1:

CENTER]

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,878 of 12,748
If you go for desktop headphone amplifier I would recommend Yulong A18 which I am now using.  The price is quite reasonable and the SQ is excellent and powerful enough to drive any headphones, including HD800.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,879 of 12,748
I bought a used pair of Toxic Cables Venom 18 AWG pure OCC silver cables from a fellow head-fier. Great build quality! They are a little bulky and stiff but that doesn't bother me at all. The soundstage expanded a lot, highs are cleaner and clearer, and the bass doesn't kick as hard but still satisfying. They are the first cables I have ever bought so I  have to say I believe in aftermarket cables! I will post pictures soon.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3,880 of 12,748
If you go for desktop headphone amplifier I would recommend Yulong A18 which I am now using.  The price is quite reasonable and the SQ is excellent and powerful enough to drive any headphones, including HD800.  

Thanks for the recommendation :happy_face1: but I don't think this amp is readily available in the UK, outside of importing from USA, which would require a step down convertor to allow for the different voltage between countries.

Also, worst case scenario and something failed on the amp - returning to supplier would be quite costly :frowning2:

The Hugo is a UK product so more appeal to me for reasons already mentioned, but from the initial reviews I've read up on, this amp though portable, appears to holds its own in comparison to desktop amps?

Here is first place I've heard of the Hugo, so will check more reviews and head-fiers comments for fuller picture before pulling any trigger on it or anything else recommended me thinks :happy_face1:

One thing for sure - it's a jungle out there :blink:

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3,882 of 12,748
  You can get the A18 from Europe and for European voltage, as well as interesting alternatives of Audio gd, from http://www.audiophonics.fr

That is also what I wanted to say, A18 is available in the EU and as to Audio GD it is also an excellent headphone amp and pre-amp.
You may wish to see the built quality in the following link:
 http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/Master-9EN.htm

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3,883 of 12,748
Apr 21, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3,884 of 12,748
Read the review by hifi art on the sennheiser ie 800 saying they had more resolution than the lcd 3,now I'm thinking of getting the lcd x but not sure if they better and worth the extra money,weren't impressed with ps 1000 grados I had,got bored really quick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back