Audeze LCD-X
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,926 of 12,748
I considered the D100 for the versatility, but I would feel too much like I was paying a premium for the McIntosh name. $1900 is probably a good deal/fair price on it though. I ended up buying the Fostex HP-A8 for most of the same reasons listed above, but the DAC features on it were attractive (optional upsampling).

At some point in my life, I want a full-size McIntosh tube preamp illuminating my room, but that will have to wait for my income to get a bit higher.

..... So how about this one?

Even if not tube as you wish, still this seems to be a nice little dedicated headphone amp... that just by the way has a speaker-amp and a DAC integrated...

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,927 of 12,748
  Tough call.  I think the LCD-X is the better headphone because every music genre sounds great out of it, including classical.  The HD800 is wonderful with classical and the soundstage is unbeatable, but they require a warm source/amp, are picky to drive, and can be hit or miss with music other than classical.  I have both, I love both, I switch between one and the other.  With bright recordings (e.g., anything by Deutsche Grammophone, for instance, specially those nasty-sounding, dry, treble-fierce Karajan recordings), I would always pick the LCD-X over the HD-800...here that Audeze warmth wins the day and makes the recordings sound bearable, since the Xs are more forgiving.  With wonderful-sounding recordings, the choice is less clear and I'll call it a tie; but if it's huge soundstage for huge orchestral works what you are looking for, then the HD800 is your man; if you like more euphony and caresses to your ears, then LCD-X is it.  Tough choice...it's great to have both in my headphone stable.  The best two pairs of headphones I've ever heard, although the LCD-XC and T1s are definitely not far behind.

In terms of detail retrieval, are the X and HD800 even close?  I plan to listen mostly classical once I decide which of these to purchase.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,928 of 12,748
i so here is where the lcd-x thread is, does this mean i'm high end now ?? lol
i'm a new owner, my x's arrived this past tuesday, looks like i have some catch up
reading to do, i'm looking for an amp, i let the mjolnir go, so starting from
scratch as far as the x goes.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,929 of 12,748
The HD800 is the best headphone I have for detail retrieval and especially when  it doing classical recordings. The layering of the stage is very accurate on the hd800 and it will let you know exactly what every piece of gear is doing. The LCD X is more forgiving and excellent  and I am doing  a review  on the lCD X and intend to buy this also so you know I like what I am hearing . That being said the HD800 is my go to can for equipment evaluation with gear. Its that good with telling you exactly what anything is doing whether is a recording or gear. The layering and focus when it is the right system is still near the very top of the dynamic headphones. 

To many each headphone will be a different experience people always have their own preferences butt the hd800 is one in my favorites.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2,930 of 12,748
  i so here is where the lcd-x thread is, does this mean i'm high end now ?? lol
i'm a new owner, my x's arrived this past tuesday, looks like i have some catch up
reading to do, i'm looking for an amp, i let the mjolnir go, so starting from
scratch as far as the x goes.

Congrats on your new X's. Like you, I decided to sell my Mjolnir, so I'm in the wilderness. I'm using a Vali temporarily and it's pretty good, but not at the level of where I want to go with the LCD-X. The information on amp pairings is still limited because the LCD-X is so new. I've tried around ten different amps with the LCD-X and can confirm that both tubes and solid state pair beautifully. I never felt the LCD-2s were well matched with the tube amplifiers I've heard, so that's a welcome change with the LCD-X. It seems easier finding an amp that makes the LCD-X sound good compared to the LCD-2, but it's still work finding an amp that squeezes out the maximum performance. The best amps (to my ears) have a very large soundstage, in addition to a neutral to slightly warm signature, zero graininess, and high resolution/dynamics. The big soundstage seems to be the hallmark that everything else is falling into place.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,931 of 12,748

Congrats on your new X's. Like you, I decided to sell my Mjolnir, so I'm in the wilderness. I'm using a Vali temporarily and it's pretty good, but not at the level of where I want to go with the LCD-X. The information on amp pairings is still limited because the LCD-X is so new. I've tried around ten different amps with the LCD-X and can confirm that both tubes and solid state pair beautifully. I never felt the LCD-2s were well matched with the tube amplifiers I've heard, so that's a welcome change with the LCD-X. It seems easier finding an amp that makes the LCD-X sound good compared to the LCD-2, but it's still work finding an amp that squeezes out the maximum performance. The best amps (to my ears) have a very large soundstage, in addition to a neutral to slightly warm signature, zero graininess, and high resolution/dynamics. The big soundstage seems to be the hallmark that everything else is falling into place.

well, after i made this post, i got a message about a pair of ps1000's on the f/s/t thread, i messaged to say i might have made an offer but i just had gotten the x's, and i really needed an amp, i bought his bryston bha-1 ,
my lyr will be back from schiit soon, it needed a repair,
right now, i have the little ican, its pretty good, and the headphone amp in the wadia is pretty good, so i wasn't suffering too bad
now with the lyr and the bha-1, i should be set, for now anyway  !! lol

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,932 of 12,748
ive lived with a lcd-3 for a month , now its time to try the lcd-x .
delivery will be in a week I believe . I have an alo studio six and if its not enough I also have a decware csp2+ to link in there .

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #2,933 of 12,748
..... So how about this one?

Even if not tube as you wish, still this seems to be a nice little dedicated headphone amp... that just by the way has a speaker-amp and a DAC integrated...

If we're talking $4500 headphone amplifier price range, screw the onboard DAC...I'd rather go Blue Hawaii Special and sell some of my gear for some electrostats and a decent standalone DAC.

I'd be way more enthusiastic about McIntosh gear if the price wasn't so inflated.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,934 of 12,748
Listening to the Beatles US Box Set (HELP) with my LCD-X and boy is there a smile on my face! Simply outstanding sounding headphones! 
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #2,935 of 12,748
  The HD800 is the best headphone I have for detail retrieval and especially when  it doing classical recordings. The layering of the stage is very accurate on the hd800 and it will let you know exactly what every piece of gear is doing. The LCD X is more forgiving and excellent  and I am doing  a review  on the lCD X and intend to buy this also so you know I like what I am hearing . That being said the HD800 is my go to can for equipment evaluation with gear. Its that good with telling you exactly what anything is doing whether is a recording or gear. The layering and focus when it is the right system is still near the very top of the dynamic headphones.

To many each headphone will be a different experience people always have their own preferences butt the hd800 is one in my favorites.

LCD-X and HD800 are my current all time favorites.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,939 of 12,748

Sound like your looking for the GS-X mk2
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back