Audeze LCD-X
Jan 26, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #2,791 of 12,748
OP here,

Well I have not received them yet, Music Direct is shipping them on Monday so I am excited!
I forgot that they were more efficient than the LCD-2/3 so it is entirely possible that my little X3 will be all the power I need.
I do want to give them the headroom they deserve portably so I may try them out with a few amps anyway just to see if it opens them up.
I am using the Schitt Modi/Magni at home by the way.

I will check out the amps recommended here.
Any other suggestions?

I love them from the Woo WA22 and Schitt Mjolnir, but also from the HeadAmp Pico. Yes, the regular Pico. I spent time tonight listening to the LCD-X's from the Pico DAC/Amp from my ipad. The sound was very good. Loads of dynamics. Not lush, but not bright or hard. Plenty of volume even on the low gain setting. This is staying put when I send the rest of the amps back to Justin after I finish shooting them tomorrow. My primary purpose for it will be driving a pair of not-yet-purchased custom IEM's, but it's great knowing it can drive the X's with such comfort.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,792 of 12,748
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,794 of 12,748
Jason looks in pain...
Yeah those are heavy headphones
biggrin.gif

He's actually sitting perfectly straight, the headphones are just weighing him down :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #2,795 of 12,748
I've always loved having several pairs of headphones around...never really wanted to have just that ONE phone that ruled them all. But I think that's sort of what is happening. 

You'll never hear me say a bad thing about the T1s, but I think the Xs overtook them last night in terms of the best movie watching headphones I own. Actually, I don't THINK they did, I KNOW they did. These are throwing a sound stage that is just as wide as the T1s, but I'm also getting a good bit of 3-dimensionality, if that is the right way to say it. Spatial cues are spot on and convincing, dialogue is nice and clean, and I'm actually loving the comfort of these (there ARE some of us who love that aspect of the Audeze phones, even though we're in the minority). Still a step down from the T1s, but IMO not that far. 

I'm even having thoughts about something like the Smyth Realiser since I'm such a huge movie guy. The Xs sure don't like to play with others...they seem to want my ears all to themselves! 
redface.gif

EDIT: I just had an amazing movie experience...Roku has a new movie streaming service and you get two free rentals if you have a Roku device. So I figured I'd go ahead and fire up a movie before I head off to sleep. I chose "All is Lost" with Robert Redford. The movie was excellent, but what I want to talk about for a quick sec is the audio. I have the mini-plug to RCA jack from the Roku into the Meier Jazz (secondary system), and then of course the LCD-Xs. I was hearing so much micro-detail and realism in the soundtrack and I was 100% transported right into the film. This is exactly why I've been so excited to own a higher end planar phone...this is what Magnepans have always done, and it's the main reason why I love Maggies for home theater. The way they bring everything to life is incredibly impressive, and now I am able to have the same sort of thing with headphones. After the movie I re-watched a few of the scenes with the T1s, and even though the T1s still did a great job, the Xs just pull away from them in pretty much every area. This was the first time I can honestly say that my headphone experience was nearly equal to my big Maggie system...the gap has narrowed tremendously. 

EDIT 2: BTW, I'm also convinced that they did something with the headband...after about 20 mins I dont even notice these on my head...I think I've come to the conclusion that the clamp is less than it was on the 2s...I could have worn them for another 2hr movie right after this one with no issue. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,799 of 12,748

For the headband!?
It is the worse headband I ever tried. Two pressure points on top of the head is pretty much the only comfort it gives you...

I dunno--works for me. Might be the shape of my head, but as long as it's not a single pressure point on the direct top of my head, and there's sufficient padding, I'm good. Absolute least comfortable headphones for me are the hifimans with nearly zero padding, a single top pressure point, and third-world earpads. Glad to see that's all going away.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,800 of 12,748
I'm still reading about people having this problem with "two pressure points". This is a problem because the default shape of the headband does not align with the shape of your head. Maybe this problem increases with bigger heads since the headband will be relatively "flatter" when wearing the headphones.

So instead of complaining, fix the problem by bending the headband into a more "V"-like (upside down) shape. When new LCD-X was much more comfortable than LCD-3, I don't know what they have done but it must be something. But I still felt those two pressure points, which are the two middle cushions in the headband. After some bending the headband is now close to perfect for me. The steel in the LCD-X headband is maybe a little bit softer than for LCD-3, I don't know. LCD-X requires much less bending than LCD-3. You can also lessen the tension by some bending of the outer sides of the headband (straighten the "straight" parts of the "V").

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,801 of 12,748
  Any insight on microsuede vs. lambskin for the headband?  I was going to order from Woo Audio for the free headphone stand but I think they only have lambskin..

Shoot WooAudio with an email and ask if they have microseude. When I purchased the LCD2s, microsuede option wasn't listed on their website so I contacted them. They said they do have microseude and to leave a note when I paid. So the same may be true for the LCDX.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,802 of 12,748
  I'm still reading about people having this problem with "two pressure points". This is a problem because the default shape of the headband does not align with the shape of your head. Maybe this problem increases with bigger heads since the headband will be relatively "flatter" when wearing the headphones.

So instead of complaining, fix the problem by bending the headband into a more "V"-like (upside down) shape. When new LCD-X was much more comfortable than LCD-3, I don't know what they have done but it must be something. But I still felt those two pressure points, which are the two middle cushions in the headband. After some bending the headband is now close to perfect for me. The steel in the LCD-X headband is maybe a little bit softer than for LCD-3, I don't know. LCD-X requires much less bending than LCD-3. You can also lessen the tension by some bending of the outer sides of the headband (straighten the "straight" parts of the "V").

OK boss.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,803 of 12,748
  Here is my temporary bedside setup: Synology NAS -> Wifi -> Oppo105 -> Graham Slee Solo -> LCD-X

I am looking for a good wifi/DAC solution to replace the Oppo and an upgrade to the Solo. For the amp upgrade, I am looking into the following amps:

- AudioGD M9
- Auralic Taurus MKII
- Bryston BHA-1

As for the wifi/DAC solution, any suggestions? I am only aware of PS PWD (with Bridge) and perhaps if Auralic will make an integrated solution with the upcoming Aries and the existing Vega DAC.

I have Solo UL Diamond and going to get LCD-X.  So I would be very interested to know you opinion of Solo + LCD-X combo and why you are getting another amp?

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,804 of 12,748
Here in ATL it is snowing like mad, people are all jammed up on the roads trying to avoid each other and the weather they are sitting in to get home to do whatever matters more then being here at work... and all this time I remain at work... is it for the work or is it because I have my XC on and see no better option elsewhere then to just keep coding and jamming along with Daft Punk which is presenting itself absolutely flawlessly I might add.  True the X are at home but right now that just feels so far away and pointless 
o2smile.gif

... judging by the ice forming on the roads i might be here a few days... sure glad i have a big music library to keep me company 
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,805 of 12,748
  Here in ATL it is snowing like mad, people are all jammed up on the roads trying to avoid each other and the weather they are sitting in to get home to do whatever matters more then being here at work... and all this time I remain at work... is it for the work or is it because I have my XC on and see no better option elsewhere then to just keep coding and jamming along with Daft Punk which is presenting itself absolutely flawlessly I might add.  True the X are at home but right now that just feels so far away and pointless 
o2smile.gif

... judging by the ice forming on the roads i might be here a few days... sure glad i have a big music library to keep me company 
cool.gif

Oh man--snow and Atlanta?  It's bad enough here in DC when it snows--I can only imagine the cluster-f in Atlanta. XCs at work--you lucky dog--yep, best to stay put for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back