Audeze LCD-X
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,568 of 12,748
  I find the LCD-X is in the Ultrasone ED-10 category a huge failure, the X has one of the poorest midrange like a void where all details are lost

I had problems finding good synergy with my LCD-X. I really think they pair poorly with warm dacs and amps. I was about ready to write them off when I tried my current dac/amp. When I found it they completely opened up for me. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,570 of 12,748
  Tough call.  I think the LCD-X is the better headphone because every music genre sounds great out of it, including classical.  The HD800 is wonderful with classical and the soundstage is unbeatable, but they require a warm source/amp, are picky to drive, and can be hit or miss with music other than classical.  I have both, I love both, I switch between one and the other.  With bright recordings (e.g., anything by Deutsche Grammophone, for instance, specially those nasty-sounding, dry, treble-fierce Karajan recordings), I would always pick the LCD-X over the HD-800...here that Audeze warmth wins the day and makes the recordings sound bearable, since the Xs are more forgiving.  With wonderful-sounding recordings, the choice is less clear and I'll call it a tie; but if it's huge soundstage for huge orchestral works what you are looking for, then the HD800 is your man; if you like more euphony and caresses to your ears, then LCD-X is it.  Tough choice...it's great to have both in my headphone stable.  The best two pairs of headphones I've ever heard, although the LCD-XC and T1s are definitely not far behind.

Thank you.  My stable currently includes the LCD-X and Ed-8.  I'm thinking of replacing the Ed-8 with the HD800.

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,571 of 12,748
I've had the X's with me for almost two weeks now, but I've been keeping quiet about it. Been too busy listening to them.

My quick and dirty impressions:

∙ Coming from the Senn HD650s and the AKG K701s--yeah, I guess the 650s really are veiled and the 701s really are plasticky. I would have denied both pretty vehemently up until I listened the X's--they really do approach new sonic territory, at least insofar as I'm concerned. They blow everything else I own out of the water.
∙ Alas, they don't sound great at lower volume levels--I really think that you've got to listen to them at at least a slightly higher volume level than you may be used to in order to get the most out of them. 
∙ Also alas, these things are *heavy,* though at least the excellent weight distribution ensures that they never get too uncomfortable. Still, I've never hit that 'oops, am I accidentally listening to my speakers?' moment with them that I have with the 650s or the Denon AH-D700s--those two models just melt completely away on my head. That said, I've actually really come to like the weighty presence of the X's--all other headphones just feel insubstantial and flimsy now.
∙ I do wish that they had a bit more clamping force to them though--as is, they slip around on my head pretty easily--really makes it difficult to even gently headbang, or just bob your head along to the music. 

In sum, sound-wise, I've got nothing to complain about. I won't say much about my sound impressions here, because others have already written on the topic much better than I could. That aside though, I think Audeze still has some ergonomic issues that need to be worked out--I would love to get this sound out of a package that is as comfortable as my Denons. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,574 of 12,748

Thank you.  My stable currently includes the LCD-X and Ed-8.  I'm thinking of replacing the Ed-8 with the HD800.

I enjoyed the Ed-8 while I owned it but, except for the obvious isolation situation, the HD800 is better in every way. They are barely comparable. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,575 of 12,748
  I've had the X's with me for almost two weeks now, but I've been keeping quiet about it. Been too busy listening to them.

...Alas, they don't sound great at lower volume levels--I really think that you've got to listen to them at at least a slightly higher volume level than you may be used to in order to get the most out of them...

I find I can enjoy the LCD-Xs at much lower volumes than when I first got them. Probably a combination of my ears adjusting to the signature and the wonderfully tight and smooth treble, but the issue I had with low volume and the LCD-2s is gone.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,576 of 12,748
What issue is are you talking about with the LCD-2's?

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2,578 of 12,748
So the X's aren't the same way, even after break in for both?

Jan 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,580 of 12,748
Just received both LCD-X and XC (Purple Heart) and the tears are coming from my eyes with pretty much every track in my library.  Absolutely beautiful sound from both.  Silky smooth and plush with no peaks, no troughs, just everything exactly in its place with broad sound stage and crystal clear placement.  The X of course slightly broader and airier in its presentation but with very much the same sonic signature as the XC.  They both serve their purpose perfectly well.  On top of their stunning performance it is abundantly clear the outstanding attention to detail and quality.  It is easy to see the passion and care of everyone at Audeze from design engineer to the tech in production and support on the phone.  This product is the result of people who love what they do and I feel honored to be able to appreciate this.  Endgame keepers without question.  Will most likely be selling most of my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back