Audeze LCD-X
Apr 1, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #10,831 of 12,748
Yeah

I just got quoted 580usd

“””””Thanks for that info. Since those headphones are no longer under warranty there will be a $580 charge to replace the drivers and earpads. This includes complete replacement of both drivers with new Fazor-equipped units, for which the warranty then renews for another three years. If you can provide a receipt or proof of purchase from the time of purchase, and it was through an authorized retailer, I may be able to get this done free of charge, but I would need that documentation first.
”””””””””””

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #10,832 of 12,748
Yeah

I just got quoted 580usd

“””””Thanks for that info. Since those headphones are no longer under warranty there will be a $580 charge to replace the drivers and earpads. This includes complete replacement of both drivers with new Fazor-equipped units, for which the warranty then renews for another three years. If you can provide a receipt or proof of purchase from the time of purchase, and it was through an authorized retailer, I may be able to get this done free of charge, but I would need that documentation first.
”””””””””””
OK that $580 includes the pad and driver replacement cost. I wonder how much they are charging for the pads? Also, they are being cool by saying that they might cover this under warranty, despite the fact the HP's are probably out of warranty, if you provide proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. That is a little more reasonable.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #10,833 of 12,748
OK that $580 includes the pad and driver replacement cost. I wonder how much they are charging for the pads? Also, they are being cool by saying that they might cover this under warranty, despite the fact the HP's are probably out of warranty, if you provide proof of purchase from an authorized dealer. That is a little more reasonable.

What do you honestly think of the he1000se? Compared to v2?

I'm debating on fixing these LCD-X or upgrading to 1000se

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #10,834 of 12,748

I just asked Audeze about replacement pads (mine are cracking) and was told $80.

Apr 2, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #10,835 of 12,748
What do you honestly think of the he1000se? Compared to v2?

I'm debating on fixing these LCD-X or upgrading to 1000se

They are two totally different sounds. The SE and V2 are more light and airy, with excellent clarity and large soundstage. If you like that warm, thick impactful sound of the X then stick with that. If you like a better soundstage and a little brighter, then go for the SE.

If you have the V2 already, then the upgrade is worth it. The SE is a little more relaxed sounding, better clarity, with better bass and better imaging than the V2. Worth the upgrade.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #10,836 of 12,748
Hmm very thought provoking dilemma. I thought I read somewhere that Audeze charged 250 to change out drivers. I may be purely delusional though. If it costs 650 to swap drivers, and bot used for 800, well there is the brand new price or close to it depending on actual sales price as Audeze has started with periodic sales prices at times. I have never bot any used gear at all and have thought about doing so many times, but just never know what you're really getting when buying used. Of course may not really know what you're getting buying brand new either... But at least there is some warranty, expressed or implied. Whatever.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #10,837 of 12,748
If you have the drivers replaced I am pretty sure that you get a 3 year warranty on the new driver though. So essentially a new headphone at that point.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #10,838 of 12,748
Yeah, it comes with a 3 year warranty.

I’ll never buy used to save money ever again. Period. The negative of not having a warranty and not having a clue of hours of use makes it a dumb investment. Assume everyone is lying about hours of use.

After babying these for 1.75 years the driver failed. I heard absolutely nothing that would indicate a sound issues from the side that died. Nothing.

And if I pay 580 to fix them I want more than 3 years of warranty. These can be bought for 1000 brand new right now and my other option is to upgrade my he1000v2 and get a brand new pair of he1000se with a new warranty.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #10,839 of 12,748

I’ll never buy used to save money ever again. Period. The negative of not having a warranty and not having a clue of hours of use makes it a dumb investment. Assume everyone is lying about hours of use.

After babying these for 1.75 years the driver failed. I heard absolutely nothing that would indicate a sound issues from the side that died. Nothing.

And if I pay 580 to fix them I want more than 3 years of warranty. These can be bought for 1000 brand new right now and my other option is to upgrade my he1000v2 and get a brand new pair of he1000se with a new warranty.
Get ZMF. They offer lifetime warranty on the drivers. I think HiFiMan warranty is only a year and not even transferrable like Audeze. Probably that's why I won't buy the Arya even though I find it quite appealing.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #10,840 of 12,748

I mostly buy used and since I can end up getting an HP as much as 50% or more below MSRP that way I will probably continue. There is a strategy to buying used though. First, I try to get the item as new as possible, second If here I try to know the items history and d the history of the owner. and third I try not to get an item beyond first owner. That way you know who bought it and if there is a problem you can maybe ask them to help you out with the receipt or talking to the dealer.

Also there is no guarantee with any of these methods. A driver can fail at any time after the warranty period, so as an additional help, buy as cheap as possible so in case there is a problem, you can absorb the cost and still the item will cost less than purchasing new.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #10,841 of 12,748
For those who are interested in aftermarket cables, I thought I'd share a pic of the silver cable I just received from Ted at headphonelounge at a VERY reasonable price. The sleeving is not black but dark grey, and the 1/4 and y connectors have a subtle carbon fiber look that is hard to see in the photo. The dark grey in the carbon fiber matches the dark grey sleeving - it looks really nice in person.

Silvercable.jpg

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #10,842 of 12,748
For those who are interested in aftermarket cables, I thought I'd share a pic of the silver cable I just received from Ted at headphonelounge at a VERY reasonable price. The sleeving is not black but dark grey, and the 1/4 and y connectors have a subtle carbon fiber look that is hard to see in the photo. The dark grey in the carbon fiber matches the dark grey sleeving - it looks really nice in person.

that looks pretty nice,

will def consider if i do not like the stock cable once my unit arrives..

is this the same btw?

neuwt-010.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #10,843 of 12,748
that looks pretty nice,

will def consider if i do not like the stock cable once my unit arrives..

is this the same btw?

neuwt-010.jpg

The Y-connector looks identical, but I'm not sure about the rest. I know Ted has quite a variety of plugs/connectors to choose from. I personally liked the stock cable from an aesthetic point of view, but the sound quality of the new cable is a clear upgrade even out of the box. If there's any burn-in needed with the new cable, it can only get better later on.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #10,844 of 12,748

Thanks for sharing. In the market for a new cable for my Audeze myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back