Audeze LCD-X
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #10,801 of 12,748
I'm a new member of the LCD-X club. This is actually my first post talking about stuff in several years! I know there a like a million pages in this thread and no one will probably read it, but I thought I'd give my personal experience so far, and also ask a question at the end.

Obviously these things are well built. I'm pretty sure they could survive a drop off of Niagara Falls. I thought the weight might be an issue, not on the top of my head, but because I tend to listen laying down with my head on a pillow. I figured it was possible that the weight could cause them to fall off my ears, but I'm very happy to see that they remained glued to my head, almost like a suction cup.

The sound is incredible already and they are less than a week old. This is my first pair of truly high-end headphones and I wasn't sure what to expect. My previous best were Grado RS1i and Hifiman HE-560. I sold the Grados several years ago so I can't compare them since I'm sure my memory is skewed by this point. I do still own the HE-560s, and the Xs makes them sound like a grainy toy. I personally like the relatively small soundstage since it makes music more engaging and fun for me - same reason I like Grados. My only complaint of the X is the brightness and treble, or lack thereof. When I was younger, I loved sharp, crisp treble; now that I'm older - not so much. Still, the Xs are too dark for me as is. Luckily, I use an extremely good professional software equalizer (EQuilibrium) and I have no reservations about dialing in tonal changes as I see fit. I added roughly 4dB of brightness and 1-2dB in the treble (5500+Hz). I also have one of Ted's silver cables coming next week, and I'm hopeful that it will add just the right amount of energy to the brightness and treble region - 2500+Hz.

Here's my question: the Xs sound so smooth - I guess I'm used to a "grainy" sound. Is it simply my other headphones being too grainy, or are the Xs actually too smooth? I've never heard a sound like this before, hence my question. Either way, I have a feeling that the silver cable is going to make everything perfect, and I am already thrilled with the Xs, and if it gets even better, it is just icing on the cake.

now that you mention the X's sounding dark, i'm a tad apprehensive myself considering i bought blind

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #10,802 of 12,748
now that you mention the X's sounding dark, i'm a tad apprehensive myself considering i bought blind

Just keep in mind that I've been listening to Grados exclusively for MANY years, and even with the Focus A pads the HE-560 is probably considered on the bright side. For me, it is a fairly big difference, but in relation to neutral, I'm sure the Xs aren't as dark as I made them out to be. So if you are used to more neutral headphones, I would think you will still like the Xs.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #10,803 of 12,748

I dont find them to be very dark. But they are not the brightest headphones. Alltough, with the 789 i feel like they penetrate my eardrums with treble. I bought a 789 to test, but i had to EQ the crap out of them with this amp if i wanted to pump the volume a bit.

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #10,804 of 12,748
Has anoyone tried Balanced cables From Custom cans in the UK? i am looking to buy a pair, but i am not sure if i want to go for Silver or Copper.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #10,805 of 12,748
Has anoyone tried Balanced cables From Custom cans in the UK? i am looking to buy a pair, but i am not sure if i want to go for Silver or Copper.

Go with copper if you want outstanding bass and details. Go with silver if you want the exact same sound, but with a silver cable.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #10,806 of 12,748
Just keep in mind that I've been listening to Grados exclusively for MANY years, and even with the Focus A pads the HE-560 is probably considered on the bright side. For me, it is a fairly big difference, but in relation to neutral, I'm sure the Xs aren't as dark as I made them out to be. So if you are used to more neutral headphones, I would think you will still like the Xs.

Hmm, I’ve not tried Grados but am using 650 now

Mar 31, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #10,807 of 12,748
Mar 31, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #10,808 of 12,748
Do you like the 650's?

I would say so,

With the exception of it sounding a little veiled

Frankly, was deciding between the Aeolus and LCD X

But the b stock suddenly became available and I was like ahh why not since I demoed the LCD 3 and loved its speed and detail

Def prefer the tone of Aeon Flow over LCD 3 tho (tested LCD 3 w Mojo only so that could be why I found it to be cold)

For now I just hope LCD X sounds faster and more detailed than Aeon Flow

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #10,809 of 12,748
LCD-X too warm? Mojo sounding cold? Wow. Amazing variance in the way people hear things. IF X doesn't have enough treble (I vehemently disagree with this) that person would be better served with Senn 800.
Mojo: will agree not as detailed as my Hugo 2, but in no way is that little guy "cold" to my ears. Brings to mind an important point, in that ANY review of a device on here must be taken with several grains of salt
due to not knowing if the reviewer "hears just exactly the same as I do". These posts absolutely prove that. Like I have read that some consider the Hugo 2 very clinical "sterile" I believe is the word bandied about.
I have spent a few thousand hours listening to it, and I find the tonal / musical rendering to be beautifully organically reproduced thru LCD-X, LCDi4, and LCD4z. There was a guy on here who biotched and moaned
endlessly about how inferior the X sounded, but that guy carried a black cloud around with him and nothing was ever good in the entire realm of hi-fi headphones/amps/dacs etc.

Makes for interesting reading though. In the end, cannot take anyone's word for anything just have to personally audition every part of the chain for yourself. Because obviously anyone can say anything about their
sound perception and it will not bear any relevance to the way you hear it.

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #10,810 of 12,748
Btw, I didn’t say Mojo sounds cold; I said LCD 3 sounds cold with Mojo alone.

And by that I meant with respect to Mojo + 650 or Aeon Flow, Elear, MX4

Of course, what I heard could very well be just neutral. More importantly, I hope X + Mojo provides for a mildly warm result

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #10,811 of 12,748
I haven't read the next posts, yet. But, I come from a similar path. I bought mine, blind-so to speak-as well, and my first set of what I'd call good HPs, was the SR325i. At first, I found them dark and small, and wondered 'what have I done', at least for a couple of days. Either I got used to the sound, or they loosened up a bit, because now, I'd not part with them.
I also started upgrading the cable with a Wywires Red, which opened up the treble quite a bit, for me. I now use a SilverBlue Audio cable from SilverBlue audio of California...my final cable purchase for this HP.
I gave my Grados to my son, and bought the PS1KEs as an alternative to my Xs. I use my Xs for serious listening, and the Grados for diversion, once in a while.
In short: It might take a little brain burn-in, or HP burn-in, but you might just find that you've fallen in love with them before too long. Welcome to the X-family.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #10,812 of 12,748
LCD-X too warm? Mojo sounding cold? Wow. Amazing variance in the way people hear things. IF X doesn't have enough treble (I vehemently disagree with this) that person would be better served with Senn 800.
Mojo: will agree not as detailed as my Hugo 2, but in no way is that little guy "cold" to my ears. Brings to mind an important point, in that ANY review of a device on here must be taken with several grains of salt
due to not knowing if the reviewer "hears just exactly the same as I do". These posts absolutely prove that. Like I have read that some consider the Hugo 2 very clinical "sterile" I believe is the word bandied about.
I have spent a few thousand hours listening to it, and I find the tonal / musical rendering to be beautifully organically reproduced thru LCD-X, LCDi4, and LCD4z. There was a guy on here who biotched and moaned
endlessly about how inferior the X sounded, but that guy carried a black cloud around with him and nothing was ever good in the entire realm of hi-fi headphones/amps/dacs etc.

Makes for interesting reading though. In the end, cannot take anyone's word for anything just have to personally audition every part of the chain for yourself. Because obviously anyone can say anything about their
sound perception and it will not bear any relevance to the way you hear it.

I agree the LCD x has a good amount of treble.i can't comment in regards to the mojo or hugo 2 but the x and 4z sound incredible with the Hugo tt2 and the sp1000.

The guy that you are speaking of is actually on the Solaris thread now and it is more of the same thing. In the end if they think the hd650 sounds better than the LCD x ect it is down to what they want. I just wish they would stop trolling the threads.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #10,813 of 12,748
In the end if they think the hd650 sounds better than the LCD x ect it is down to what they want. I just wish they would stop trolling the threads.

For whatever reason, HD650 attracts unusually single-minded people to it. While they are good headphones, the outlandish claims some people make about them being absolutely neutral or scaling up infinitely with better gear or having perfect resolution, along with their dismissal of any criticism of the headphone as being simply a result of bad listening or bad gear or not enough burn in, well, all those things make some people seem very ridiculous and untrustworthy.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #10,814 of 12,748
For whatever reason, HD650 attracts unusually single-minded people to it. While they are good headphones, the outlandish claims some people make about them being absolutely neutral or scaling up infinitely with better gear or having perfect resolution, along with their dismissal of any criticism of the headphone as being simply a result of bad listening or bad gear or not enough burn in, well, all those things make some people seem very ridiculous and untrustworthy.
I wonder if it is the same guy who was trolling in the LCD2C thread not that long ago. He was saying pretty much that the HD650s are the best headphones ever and kept repeating himself 20+ times.
While the HD650s are good headphones indeed, for the sub-bass roll off they are not even an option for my music and taste.

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #10,815 of 12,748
I wonder if it is the same guy who was trolling in the LCD2C thread not that long ago. He was saying pretty much that the HD650s are the best headphones ever and kept repeating himself 20+ times.
While the HD650s are good headphones indeed, for the sub-bass roll off they are not even an option for my music and taste.

Maybe he is, but there is also no shortage of people unreasonably impressed by the 650.

Your impressions match mine. Without that low-end presence, or treble presence for that matter, music sounded incomplete to me. Mids were nice, but kind of slow. Ultimately, just not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back