Audeze LCD-X
Mar 31, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #10,816 of 12,748
I wonder if it is the same guy who was trolling in the LCD2C thread not that long ago. He was saying pretty much that the HD650s are the best headphones ever and kept repeating himself 20+ times.
While the HD650s are good headphones indeed, for the sub-bass roll off they are not even an option for my music and taste.

I’m intrigued, let me take a look..

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #10,817 of 12,748
I haven't read the next posts, yet. But, I come from a similar path. I bought mine, blind-so to speak-as well, and my first set of what I'd call good HPs, was the SR325i. At first, I found them dark and small, and wondered 'what have I done', at least for a couple of days. Either I got used to the sound, or they loosened up a bit, because now, I'd not part with them.
I also started upgrading the cable with a Wywires Red, which opened up the treble quite a bit, for me. I now use a SilverBlue Audio cable from SilverBlue audio of California...my final cable purchase for this HP.
I gave my Grados to my son, and bought the PS1KEs as an alternative to my Xs. I use my Xs for serious listening, and the Grados for diversion, once in a while.
In short: It might take a little brain burn-in, or HP burn-in, but you might just find that you've fallen in love with them before too long. Welcome to the X-family.

I've already fallen in love with them! A few days after I received them, I put a Grado on my head and my ears started hurting almost immediately. The intense brightness just isn't worth it to me anymore. Since the X responds well to EQ, I love being able to dial in the right amount of brightness/highs and still not have my ears explode. Now my Grado 325e with taped bowls sounds nice since it tames that brightness and adds extra bass thump... still not anywhere near as good as the X though.

I tried searching for SilverBlue Audio but came up empty. Are they still around, and do you have a link by any chance?

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #10,818 of 12,748
Go with copper if you want outstanding bass and details. Go with silver if you want the exact same sound, but with a silver cable.

I will probably go with both, but first ill buy a pair of coppers. Any cable suggestions? i am tempted to buy from Custom cans, they have very nice reviews.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #10,820 of 12,748
I will probably go with both, but first ill buy a pair of coppers. Any cable suggestions? i am tempted to buy from Custom cans, they have very nice reviews.

Sure, I have a few. First, let me tell you what I prioritize in a cable, in no particular order.
  • I want a cable that is supple and flexible. This makes it significantly easier to use, move, and store, as well as minimizing the possibility of permanent kinks and other damage to the cable. For that, I look for cables with lots of cores, lots of strands. Of course, that's a roundabout way to figure out if the thing will flex well.
  • I want a cable that has high-quality connectors. My personal favorite are Neutrik. I don't need overly expensive Furutech or anything, but at the very least I want to have heard of the connectors that they are using. I don't know how common it is to get a cable that has a bad plug on it, but it's happened to me one too many times.
  • I want a cable that is soldered well. It's probably impossible to tell that sort of thing from the outside, so I look at the overall quality and cleanliness of the build as an indicator. Reviews help too, obviously. Besides a hard bend in the wire, solder failure seems to be the most likely cause of death for a cable.
  • I want a cable that has a good quality conductive material that I've heard of, whether it's copper or silver or some combination. I want to know the guage, if it's OFC or OCC, if it's been cryo-treated, if it's Cardas or Mogami or whatever. I want the details because I'm looking for transparency, and I don't mean in the sound. It gives me confidence and trust in the company if I know exactly what's going into my cable and can determine how they are arriving at their price. Really, I don't have a preference and can't determine a difference in most of that stuff, but I sure do like a company that is open enough to tell me about the wire they use. Better if they tell the cable geometry and type of paracord, too.
  • I want a cable that is handsome. I don't think I've ever heard a difference between two comparably priced cables, but I can definitely see a difference.
  • I want a cable from a company that is reliable, ships quickly, and can do custom work. Unfortunately, most of the time I only get two out three.
All right, so what cables do I like? My favorite is Venus Audio. That hits all the boxes for me. I also really like Impact Audio, Periapt (incredibly fast delivery in my experience), and Dyson. Ursine made a good cable, but have ceased to be very reliable lately. Can't recommend. Amplifier surgery makes a good one, but its not very flexible at all. I've got the OFC upgrade cable and Atmos C from ZMF. Both great, but I prefer the cheaper one. If I were to buy from a new company, it would be from Oidio, which make some beautiful cables. LQi also looks very promising.

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #10,821 of 12,748
Sure, I have a few. First, let me tell you what I prioritize in a cable, in no particular order.
  • I want a cable that is supple and flexible. This makes it significantly easier to use, move, and store, as well as minimizing the possibility of permanent kinks and other damage to the cable. For that, I look for cables with lots of cores, lots of strands. Of course, that's a roundabout way to figure out if the thing will flex well.
  • I want a cable that has high-quality connectors. My personal favorite are Neutrik. I don't need overly expensive Furutech or anything, but at the very least I want to have heard of the connectors that they are using. I don't know how common it is to get a cable that has a bad plug on it, but it's happened to me one too many times.
  • I want a cable that is soldered well. It's probably impossible to tell that sort of thing from the outside, so I look at the overall quality and cleanliness of the build as an indicator. Reviews help too, obviously. Besides a hard bend in the wire, solder failure seems to be the most likely cause of death for a cable.
  • I want a cable that has a good quality conductive material that I've heard of, whether it's copper or silver or some combination. I want to know the guage, if it's OFC or OCC, if it's been cryo-treated, if it's Cardas or Mogami or whatever. I want the details because I'm looking for transparency, and I don't mean in the sound. It gives me confidence and trust in the company if I know exactly what's going into my cable and can determine how they are arriving at their price. Really, I don't have a preference and can't determine a difference in most of that stuff, but I sure do like a company that is open enough to tell me about the wire they use. Better if they tell the cable geometry and type of paracord, too.
  • I want a cable that is handsome. I don't think I've ever heard a difference between two comparably priced cables, but I can definitely see a difference.
  • I want a cable from a company that is reliable, ships quickly, and can do custom work. Unfortunately, most of the time I only get two out three.
All right, so what cables do I like? My favorite is Venus Audio. That hits all the boxes for me. I also really like Impact Audio, Periapt (incredibly fast delivery in my experience), and Dyson. Ursine made a good cable, but have ceased to be very reliable lately. Can't recommend. Amplifier surgery makes a good one, but its not very flexible at all. I've got the OFC upgrade cable and Atmos C from ZMF. Both great, but I prefer the cheaper one. If I were to buy from a new company, it would be from Oidio, which make some beautiful cables. LQi also looks very promising.

When it comes to cables, it is kind of black and white to me. There is silver and copper, and those are the only differences i can tell appart when listening. Whats important to me is flexibility, overall quality, and that its not too heavy. Since i live in a country where these cables needs to be imported, i dont fancy getting cables that will fall appart on me in the next 3-5 years. im going to search for some of your suggested cables and see if i can find something interesting.

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #10,822 of 12,748
When it comes to cables, it is kind of black and white to me. There is silver and copper, and those are the only differences i can tell appart when listening. Whats important to me is flexibility, overall quality, and that its not too heavy. Since i live in a country where these cables needs to be imported, i dont fancy getting cables that will fall appart on me in the next 3-5 years. im going to search for some of your suggested cables and see if i can find something interesting.

I think that is a good way to approach it and an excellent set of priorities. Best of luck with your search.

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #10,824 of 12,748
Boy I'm very close to getting a pair of these... I just have the necessary amount of budget to make these viable, however, I want to know if there's something comparably similar or better?? I have the JDS elements as an amp! My best pair prior to these are the iBasso sr1's

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #10,826 of 12,748
Do not overlook the Solvine. A bit more price friendly and I have been absolutely loving it on both my X and 4z. Copper and silver construction. But really any of Trevor's work is going to satisfy completely and he is a stand up guy.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #10,827 of 12,748
Audeze wants 580 to put new drivers in.

This sucks because I payed around 800 for them and only got 1.5 years out of them.

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #10,828 of 12,748
Audeze wants 580 to put new drivers in.

This sucks because I payed around 800 for them and only got 1.5 years out of them.
DAMN! Not only sucks, but blows as well. I don't see me ever having the geld to get them repaired anymore. Better treat them like gold, I guess. I'm sorry for your case. At least, mine are still working after 5 years.

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #10,829 of 12,748
DAMN! Not only sucks, but blows as well. I don't see me ever having the geld to get them repaired anymore. Better treat them like gold, I guess. I'm sorry for your case. At least, mine are still working after 5 years.

Yeah. It sucks.

If you are the original owner you look to be safe, maybe past the warranty. Maybe. I think they take care of those with a full price receipt.

I’m not the original owner and Audeze definitely didn’t want to hear I bought them 2nd hand. I’m never going to buy used headphones ever again. They can break at any time.

I don’t think I can pay 600 dollars to fix these.Im torn.

I liked the lcd-x quite a bit too. They definitely have a special signature.

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #10,830 of 12,748
Yeah. It sucks.

If you are the original owner you look to be safe, maybe past the warranty. Maybe. I think they take care of those with a full price receipt.

I’m not the original owner and Audeze definitely didn’t want to hear I bought them 2nd hand. I’m never going to buy used headphones ever again. They can break at any time.

I don’t think I can pay 600 dollars to fix these.Im torn.

I liked the lcd-x quite a bit too. They definitely have a special signature.
Wow that's a lot, I thought I read that Audeze was charging less than that for driver replacement on like LCD3 drivers? Not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back