Audeze LCD-X
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #10,726 of 12,748
I 100% agree I was quite fond of the Jot with built in multibit dac. I also owned a Questyle CMA 400i at the time which was more expensive and supposed to be better. Through much back and forth between the two with my Xs I consistently found the Jot to be the superior unit and eventually returned the CMA.
I think the 400I was meant to be more compatible with IEMs. Did you ever get a chance to try the CMA600?

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #10,727 of 12,748
Well I would love to hear your thoughts. I used to own the LCD X and my Ether 2’s are supposed to arrive next week. What are your impressions between them so far?
Honestly I am having a hard time defining the two when compared to one another. It seems like the LCDs may have a tiny bit more treble to them and possibly be a little flatter sounding. I find the Ethers to have kind of a more ethereal sound which is fantastic for a lot of tracks and good for everything else. But the LCDs are good with everything to and sometimes they seem to come across with a little more clarity. I am having a difficult time deciding between the two. I think I may be leaning slightly toward the Ethers simply cause that ethereal sound on certain tracks just gives me goose bumps that sweep across my whole body like a bloody drug. So I am really hopin to get some thoughts from people that currently own both to see what they think or if I am just losing my mind which is a great possibility.

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #10,728 of 12,748
Got my LCD-X's today.. paired with Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro + THX AAA 789 amp.. these have ruined my other headphones.. everytime I go back to the DT1990, HD58X, they both feel like they are missing something... =/

Biggest gripe is I hate the heat from the leather. Anyone have any experience with the Dekoni hybrid pads? Or velour pads? How's it change the sound signature on the LCD-X's.. would like some advice on which would be the preferred pads to get that don't make my ears so hot.

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #10,729 of 12,748
I had the microsuede pads on my X. They were much more comfortable with less heat than the leather on my 2fs. I can't tell you how they change the sound because I ordered them with the suede pads(in 2015). When I moved up to an LCD-4 I ordered and installed the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads when they became available. I found them much more friendly and perhaps helped the soundstage a bit due to being thicker than stock pads. Good luck!

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #10,730 of 12,748
I had the microsuede pads on my X. They were much more comfortable with less heat than the leather on my 2fs. I can't tell you how they change the sound because I ordered them with the suede pads(in 2015). When I moved up to an LCD-4 I ordered and installed the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads when they became available. I found them much more friendly and perhaps helped the soundstage a bit due to being thicker than stock pads. Good luck!

Thanks.

May just order them and try.

Jan 18, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #10,734 of 12,748
I never used EQ on my X (or any of my Audeze phones for that matter) and for tens of thousands of hours spanning several years, never felt the need for any EQ at all.
Now with my i4, 4z, or the venerable old X, still no need to EQ.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #10,735 of 12,748
I think the X sounds best without bass boost too....

...however, I sometimes like to EQ the bass up wildly and just listen to how masterfully and cleanly the X handles it. I mean, my vision distorts before their sound ever does. Part of the beauty of these planars is that they can handle EQ sooooo well. Seems like a shame not to go crazy with that once in a while.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #10,736 of 12,748
Another thing about the X: it will punch out so hard and clean at extreme volume too. So have to be careful and not overdo it which can damage hearing. I know once a few years ago I was listening to some old ZZTop and queued up Stone Sour next and it was sounding so good that I REALLY cranked it up. Way too loud and my ears were ringing and hurt for a while after that. Learned my lesson with these planars and that is they will not distort before you destroy your hearing. Like you dare them to blow out on bass like a cheap car woofer, but they will not do it.

So be careful and aware of the capabilities of these headphones... preaching to choir most likely but still...

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #10,737 of 12,748
Got my LCD-X's today.. paired with Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro + THX AAA 789 amp.. these have ruined my other headphones.. everytime I go back to the DT1990, HD58X, they both feel like they are missing something... =/

Biggest gripe is I hate the heat from the leather. Anyone have any experience with the Dekoni hybrid pads? Or velour pads? How's it change the sound signature on the LCD-X's.. would like some advice on which would be the preferred pads to get that don't make my ears so hot.

Could you try to explain the sound with the 789 on the x's? Ive been looking to buy an enog2 and a 789, but all the reviews ive seen explains that it can be quite harsh on some cans. i also tried the Jot multibit, and its realy a horrible combo in my ears. Quite booring is probably a good way to explain it. But ofc, thats just my opinion. Unfortunatly, the left driver on my X's decided to go crazy after just 2 weeks, so i am currently waiting on a replacement can.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #10,738 of 12,748
Could you try to explain the sound with the 789 on the x's? Ive been looking to buy an enog2 and a 789, but all the reviews ive seen explains that it can be quite harsh on some cans. i also tried the Jot multibit, and its realy a horrible combo in my ears. Quite booring is probably a good way to explain it. But ofc, thats just my opinion. Unfortunatly, the left driver on my X's decided to go crazy after just 2 weeks, so i am currently waiting on a replacement can.

I thought the 789 sounded a bit thin with the X. A little lighter in body and less real sounding than my 28.38. In particular, the bass sounded leaner and less powerful on the 789. Not that it's a bad amp, I might prefer that for a number of headphones I have. "Boring" might be a good way to put it.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #10,739 of 12,748
I thought the 789 sounded a bit thin with the X. A little lighter in body and less real sounding than my 28.38. In particular, the bass sounded leaner and less powerful on the 789. Not that it's a bad amp, I might prefer that for a number of headphones I have. "Boring" might be a good way to put it.

Then it looks like i wont be buying a 789. I like bodied sound, with bass that i can actually feel. Sub and midbass is what i want. i dont want to go trough the pain of 10 and 20 trials and errors, and i was lucky that the shop i ordered the jot from would let me test it before returning it. is there anything you, or others here could recomend me to check out? Ive been looking at an Atrox v2, since its actually built in my country and the creator offers a money back guarantee if its not liked. Also there is the Vioelectric v200 that ive been looking at.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #10,740 of 12,748
Then it looks like i wont be buying a 789. I like bodied sound, with bass that i can actually feel. Sub and midbass is what i want. i dont want to go trough the pain of 10 and 20 trials and errors, and i was lucky that the shop i ordered the jot from would let me test it before returning it. is there anything you, or others here could recomend me to check out? Ive been looking at an Atrox v2, since its actually built in my country and the creator offers a money back guarantee if its not liked. Also there is the Vioelectric v200 that ive been looking at.

For planars, the key factor in an amp is current, rather than voltage. The 28.38 is good with planars because it can provide a lot of current. Conversely, OTL tube amps are great with high impedance phones, but not with planars, because of their generally low current output. Besides high power amps like the Audio-gd, planars tend to do best with current amps, like the Violectric (IIRC) or Questyle.
http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

Unfortunately, most of the time power output is listed in wattage or voltage, which means doing some math.
http://www.digizoid.com/power.php
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.html

I have the Violectric v90 and it is excellent with the planars I have, including the X. I imagine the higher-end Violectrics only get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back