Audeze LCD-X
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #10,696 of 12,748
Hello LCD-X owners. I have got a question. I ran through all the thread and read everything from the past year. Although a couple of times some users asked for LCD-2C comparisons, the information regarding this is not much more than two lines altogether. Could someone write a little more on how these two Audeze hps compare (preferably with a better system)?
(Man, the ongoing comments of that very negative and unhappy chap who eventually bought a HD650 were really annoying.)

I really love my 2C's warm, lush and dynamic sound. I love Audeze bass. Sub-bass extension, rumble, bass impact and slam was one of the reasons I chose the 2C over the Clear. The 2C can sound a bit too warm and almost woolly out of cheap sources. That's why I built a very clean and powerful system for them. FLAC → iPurifier 3 → Chord 2Qute → Questyle CMA600i → Toxic Silver Widow. All of these elements add clarity, resolution, refinement, dynamism, extension, separation, space, airiness to the sound, lifting the 2C to another level.
Sometimes I wonder how close the 2C sounds in this system compared to the X out of a more basic system. I think they might be closer than many would think.

I also wonder how the X would sound on my system. Even more clarity, even more details? I don't necessarily need a more neutral sound but I know higher resolution exists since I owned the Clear. I like resolution and details but not on the price of fatigue. I need the hp for pure musical joy, I am not a neutral-head. Also I am very treble sensitive and this is pretty much the highest amount of treble I can still enjoy with the 2C out of this system.
Are the mids even more alive on the X than on the 2C? And how does the bass compare? If there is something I definitely don't want to loose on is the bass. Does the X have the same satisfying bass as the 2C?
I wonder if the X is a worthwhile upgrade from the 2C with my system and needs. I got the 2C with 15% discount for £505 half a year ago. The X in the creator's package would cost me £1099.
I am also a little worried about the weight. I got used to the 2C's weight in 3 weeks, I have no issues anymore. But the X is 100g more.

I haven't heard the 2C, but I do own the 2F. The X does indeed best it in terms of details, clarity, speed, and imaging. It's a fairly obvious improvement in these areas, not requiring A/B'ing or even much attention. The X produces an immediate "oh, that's better" feeling. I wouldn't ever call the X fatiguing, at least not with the equipment I have. The driver speed prevents even intensely trebley music from coming off as harsh, since the sounds do not linger or peak. Personally, I am sensitive to peaks and resonances in the mids, right around the vocals. The X has mids more forward that I usually like, but again the driver speed keeps them manageable and inoffensive for me.

I won't speak about the bass on the 2C, but I will offer you some advice: If you think you will miss the bass on the 2C, you will. The X is not a direct upgrade from the 2C, because it does not aim for the same sig and sound characteristics. Switching over will mean compromising.

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #10,697 of 12,748
I haven't heard the 2C, but I do own the 2F. The X does indeed best it in terms of details, clarity, speed, and imaging. It's a fairly obvious improvement in these areas, not requiring A/B'ing or even much attention. The X produces an immediate "oh, that's better" feeling. I wouldn't ever call the X fatiguing, at least not with the equipment I have. The driver speed prevents even intensely trebley music from coming off as harsh, since the sounds do not linger or peak. Personally, I am sensitive to peaks and resonances in the mids, right around the vocals. The X has mids more forward that I usually like, but again the driver speed keeps them manageable and inoffensive for me.

I won't speak about the bass on the 2C, but I will offer you some advice: If you think you will miss the bass on the 2C, you will. The X is not a direct upgrade from the 2C, because it does not aim for the same sig and sound characteristics. Switching over will mean compromising.
I wouldn't mind loosing a little bit of bass quantity, if there is improvement in quality (control, speed, clarity). What I don't want to loose at all is extension, impact and slam, since I listen to a lot of bass-centric ambient music.

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #10,698 of 12,748
Hi Gtbrown50,

I'm a little confused. Were you testing the X vs the 4 or the X vs the XC?

My suspicion is that you were testing the X vs the 4.

Am I understanding right that you like the XC more than the X? If so, I'd love to know why. The XC have always interested me.

Thanks

I'd be confused by that too.....It was indeed a comparison between the LCD-X and LCD-4. I actually like the sound of the XC compared to the X, to me its better balanced, I.e. not as warm. I'm really not into warm HPs. However, I wear the XCs about two hours a day and then switch to another HP. Any other HP.

The XC does get heavy, and putting on a lighter pair is a great relief.

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #10,699 of 12,748
I'd be confused by that too.....It was indeed a comparison between the LCD-X and LCD-4. I actually like the sound of the XC compared to the X, to me its better balanced, I.e. not as warm. I'm really not into warm HPs. However, I wear the XCs about two hours a day and then switch to another HP. Any other HP.

The XC does get heavy, and putting on a lighter pair is a great relief.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

That helps a lot.

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #10,700 of 12,748
I wouldn't mind loosing a little bit of bass quantity, if there is improvement in quality (control, speed, clarity). What I don't want to loose at all is extension, impact and slam, since I listen to a lot of bass-centric ambient music.

Impact and slam is a tough one. The best I can say is that the X as excellent bass impact and slam for a planar. Compared with dynamic drivers, it comes up short in terms of pure visceral oomph. On the other hand, the extension and detail of the bass is spectacular. So much texture and control, without sounding anemic. For me, the X has the best bass that I've ever heard. I like bassier headphones, though I'm too much of a headphone-philanderer to be considered a basshead, but I've never felt the need to boost the bass on the X. It's just north of neutral (to my ears), but soooo good.

In other words, the X has amazing control, speed, and clarity, as well as very good extension, slam, and impact. But, you will likely lose a bit of that low-end heft as a result. Again, haven't heard the 2C, just the 2F and X, so... you know...

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #10,701 of 12,748
Impact and slam is a tough one. The best I can say is that the X as excellent bass impact and slam for a planar. Compared with dynamic drivers, it comes up short in terms of pure visceral oomph. On the other hand, the extension and detail of the bass is spectacular. So much texture and control, without sounding anemic. For me, the X has the best bass that I've ever heard. I like bassier headphones, though I'm too much of a headphone-philanderer to be considered a basshead, but I've never felt the need to boost the bass on the X. It's just north of neutral (to my ears), but soooo good.

In other words, the X has amazing control, speed, and clarity, as well as very good extension, slam, and impact. But, you will likely lose a bit of that low-end heft as a result. Again, haven't heard the 2C, just the 2F and X, so... you know...

LCD2 (and variants) < LCD-X < LCD4z. 4z has better low-end slam and heft (IMHO) than X, and quite a bit better controlled bass region reproduction than does any of the LCD2 versions. I once owned LCD-2c. Having said this about X, be it known that under no circumstances is it anything less than superb. Just with 4z, you have to pay up to get a little more improvement. Is there over $2k worth of [better than X] wrapped up in 4z? No, but it is still the best headphone I have ever heard.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #10,702 of 12,748
So for those of you who recently read my ranting about how disappointing I found the Utopias here is an update. So as you may have read I had already ordered a balanced cable but hadnt yet received it, but also didnt feel that it would make that big a difference. Well I gotta say I was quite wrong and am now left to wonder why the hell Focal would send out their flagship headphones with that absolutely horrific 10' long single ended cable. I mean I had boxed these things up and wasnt even planning on listening to them again even when the cable came in, but out of curiosity and the fact that I bought it I decided I may as well try it. I have switched between single ended and balanced in all my other cans and never experienced this much of a difference. I am not lying when I say these things litterally just opened the F up and instantly became very 3d and dynamic in a way they just werent in SE. Hell maybe Im just crazy or experiencing some sort of placebo effect but damn at least now I can give a little respect to this thing and am able to see what a lot of the hype was about. I am running through a Gungnir multibit and Mjolnir 2 with WE 2C51 tubes.
Also for those of you interested in the Ether 2's I ordered a pair of those along with an iFi iCan Pro amplifier and when received I will provide some feedback on those as well. For now I am gonna listen to these Utopias a bit more and decide if I should take the for sale ad down.

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #10,703 of 12,748
So I know that I literally just posted and also that this is a thread for the LCD-X but I can whole heartedly confirm that what I am hearing is most definitely not placebo. I remember people saying the mjolnir 2 sucked in single ended as it was more an after thought and realized now that I hadnt listened to anything on it single ended until the Utopia. So now that I am hearing this thing as it was meant to be heard I feel like every god damn audiophile term I've heard but never truly experienced is being experienced. I am truly experiencing the seperation of instruments like never before and imaging is quite fantastic. All the reviews I had read previously talked about the tonality of these cans and when I listened single ended I just found them so boring I couldnt understand how people could feel that way. Man the Mjolnir 2 really likes a balanced cable cause I get it now and cant bring myself to take these damn things off my head. Even the bass sounds incredible despite knowing it has very light impact you can barely tell because it comes across so incredibly detailed that its giving me goose bumps while I am typing this. I dont know if I am happy I tried this damn cable or not now. Oh and detail retrieval is truly epic as well. crap I really like these things now....

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #10,704 of 12,748
The X sounds great single ended out of the Lyr 2 different than balanced from the Jot.

Soundstage vs slam and detail.

I like them both:L3000:

So I know that I literally just posted and also that this is a thread for the LCD-X but I can whole heartedly confirm that what I am hearing is most definitely not placebo. I remember people saying the mjolnir 2 sucked in single ended as it was more an after thought and realized now that I hadnt listened to anything on it single ended until the Utopia. So now that I am hearing this thing as it was meant to be heard I feel like every god damn audiophile term I've heard but never truly experienced is being experienced. I am truly experiencing the seperation of instruments like never before and imaging is quite fantastic. All the reviews I had read previously talked about the tonality of these cans and when I listened single ended I just found them so boring I couldnt understand how people could feel that way. Man the Mjolnir 2 really likes a balanced cable cause I get it now and cant bring myself to take these damn things off my head. Even the bass sounds incredible despite knowing it has very light impact you can barely tell because it comes across so incredibly detailed that its giving me goose bumps while I am typing this. I dont know if I am happy I tried this damn cable or not now. Oh and detail retrieval is truly epic as well. **** I really like these things now....

I see you changed your sig:wink:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #10,705 of 12,748
Most definitely not suggesting that single ended is bad in any way especially in units designed solely for single ended purpose. But I know from following the mj2 thread that there is a distinct difference in single ended and balance on the mj2 I just hadnt tried anything single ended through it and had the same experience as you where I didnt notice much difference in other amps from SE to balanced but for whatever reason the balanced vs se on this amp apparently makes quite a noticable difference. I thought for sure I was just imagining it but the more listening the more things I was noticing that I just didnt hear before.

Also glad you noticed that sig change haha I am just happy that I got to experience them as they were meant to be as I was losing a little faith in audio reviews. Im gonna wait to hear the Ether 2 before I make any more decisions as to what my end game set up will be for a while.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #10,706 of 12,748
Most definitely not suggesting that single ended is bad in any way especially in units designed solely for single ended purpose. But I know from following the mj2 thread that there is a distinct difference in single ended and balance on the mj2 I just hadnt tried anything single ended through it and had the same experience as you where I didnt notice much difference in other amps from SE to balanced but for whatever reason the balanced vs se on this amp apparently makes quite a noticable difference. I thought for sure I was just imagining it but the more listening the more things I was noticing that I just didnt hear before.

Also glad you noticed that sig change haha I am just happy that I got to experience them as they were meant to be as I was losing a little faith in audio reviews. Im gonna wait to hear the Ether 2 before I make any more decisions as to what my end game set up will be for a while.

Interesting, I think my local audio shop that jas the utopias demos them balanced through a Bryson BHA-1. I could be wrong though. Glad to see it worked for you though

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #10,707 of 12,748

It is not SE vs balanced in general. Both can be made well or not that well. I can confirm however, on my Questyle CMA-600i balanced output is far more superior that the SE output. More space, better dynamics, better control, more details and tightness. I am pretty sure however that other amps with SE can sound just as good. There is only good or bad sound, regardless what the output method is.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #10,708 of 12,748
It is not SE vs balanced in general. Both can be made well or not that well. I can confirm however, on my Questyle CMA-600i balanced output is far more superior that the SE output. More space, better dynamics, better control, more details and tightness. I am pretty sure however that other amps with SE can sound just as good. There is only good or bad sound, regardless what the output method is.

Agreed, its more about how the amp is designed than just the output used

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #10,710 of 12,748
Still wondering how much better my triumvirate of listening devices could sound out of a fully balanced system. Someday will upgrade upstream but for now slumming with H2 and GLMk2. Although I must say that if this is slumming then I am OK surviving at a sub-standard level of SQ... =^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back