Audeze LCD-X
Oct 16, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #10,591 of 12,748
"It doesn't make sense for me not to sell. Like I said, I wasn't particularly satisfied beforehand and the HD650 alone has come impressively close. At some point diminishing returns become unacceptable. It does depend how big of a part of your life headphones and music are though, so that's an important qualifier."

Exactly. For you, monetary value is more important than true quality musical reproduction. Fair enough. Totally agree on evaluation qualification of musical gear or anything else. Despite the fact that there is not a sound card that is made that will ever equal a true quality dac, and the noise inherent in a computer system is not conducive to true hi-fi reproduction, it is true that a mid-to-low-end headphone can be plugged into such a computer sound card and "acceptable" SQ will be the result. And all things in life are subject to the same kind of value-based (moreso than need as it turns out truthfully) analysis to determine where the money gets spent in the end. SO it is apparent that for you, hi-fi quality musical reproduction just is not a priority. And you are entirely correct.

Many others feel that hi-fi SQ is in fact a desirable quantity to be searched for, purchased, and enjoyed. The extent of purchase price is always a concern, and it is true that at a point everything realizes such a diminishing return that it becomes foolish to do so UNLESS a person just has money to burn and cost is no concern. For instance, there are guys who spend many thousands of dollars on CABLES. I will never do that. Period. But, there are those who will and that is great. For them.

In the end, life is a spiritual journey and was never about things. Things may be acquired to enhance the experience, and it is all totally subjective. Enjoy your sound card and lower-tier headphones. It is awesome that you can be so easily [cheaply] satisfied.

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #10,592 of 12,748
"The funny thing is recently, in fact all of the big money items I've bought and am buying for my PC have themselves been of poor value, yet their improvements are concrete."

Computer parts are not "big money". Totally commoditized and obsolete from before the time they are purchased. No wonder you don't see the value in high-end audio gear. Your belief system is based on scarcity.
Crap, I have fly rods-reels that a single outfit cost way more than my computer did, and trust me I built this computer with the baddest components and cost was no object.
It's all relative. Now getting into aviation (I want a Just Aircraft Super STOL so bad I can taste it) that is a fairly serious cash outlay to do that. A few thousand for a good audio system? Seriously not a big deal. Just do it.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #10,593 of 12,748
Exactly. For you, monetary value is more important than true quality musical reproduction.

I wouldn't go into any such superlatives about the LCD-X, although the same applies to other headphones I've tried. Part of why I was dissatisfied had to do with the X's limitations. The Gumby and Taurus MKII did have a considerable effect but didn't do enough for the $2250 price tag, the amplifier having been used to shave $500. It's hard to describe those limitations but one way to describe it is that the sound isn't true quality musical reproduction. A comparison to an HD800S would quickly demonstrate deficits, and vice versa. Overall I think the LCD-X lacks let's call it resolution... detail, some sharpness in the sounds it reproduces, definition. Separation needs serious money to be gotten to a good level too.

And all things in life are subject to the same kind of value-based (moreso than need as it turns out truthfully) analysis to determine where the money gets spent in the end. SO it is apparent that for you, hi-fi quality musical reproduction just is not a priority.

I haven't encountered worse value than in headphones, DACs, amps, cables, etc. Based on my experience with a bunch of headphones what is apparent given how differently they sound is that not one actually delivers musical reproduction, or in my opinion quality worth the asking price especially factoring in the necessary additional products. I think it's delusional to think that true quality musical reproduction is what these headphones do when a listen to a bunch of them yields a bunch of "truths", and in my opinion these truths are defined by limitations and flaws, of course at minimum distortion to cause them all to be different. You can't talk about true musical reproduction in this context. The existence of $50k headphones suggests this.

Computer parts are not "big money". Totally commoditized and obsolete from before the time they are purchased. No wonder you don't see the value in high-end audio gear. Your belief system is based on scarcity.

It's funny you should write that last sentence when the value of computer parts is based on quantities rather than the subjective qualities and often exaggerated nonsense that necessarily goes for value measurement in audio. You can't pull the wool over my eyes after the experience I've gathered over the past several months. Big money is apparently relative. Like it or not, the money involved here for what it is spent on is big money for most people, and I'd bet most people would find it exceptionally poorly spent here. You can try to claim that computer parts are obsolete from the get-go but no one cares for such an argument. I may not be a fan of the value of my $1800 monitor, $1250 graphics card, $1000 processor plus motherboard but at least I know what I'm getting there. I know what 4k with high dynamic range and gsync does for picture quality and the significance of achieving higher frames per second on higher refresh rate monitors. I also know that the processor is what is holding my objectively fast 240hz monitor a little back and I stand to gain a further competitive advantage making the upgrade. Not the way things work with headphones. You spend thousands of dollars on stuff and end up with sound and differences that leave you confused and wondering what the hell is going on. You have to resort to reading the impressions of others to "know" what you're buying into, and often to find out that people are strange. Take a look at some of the stuff claimed about the Magni 3, by the way. Same sort of drivel you read about everything else. Sorry, but you have no basis to compare this to computer parts. Sure, spending $10,000 like you have could perhaps get you rather far, and I'm just giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm limited to hitting the eject button before then and putting what are apparently crumbs into better value propositions.

To be fair I think the lack of technically high quality music is a factor here, but that's neither here nor there.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #10,594 of 12,748
I wouldn't go into any such superlatives about the LCD-X, although the same applies to other headphones I've tried. Part of why I was dissatisfied had to do with the X's limitations. The Gumby and Taurus MKII did have a considerable effect but didn't do enough for the $2250 price tag, the amplifier having been used to shave $500. It's hard to describe those limitations but one way to describe it is that the sound isn't true quality musical reproduction. A comparison to an HD800S would quickly demonstrate deficits, and vice versa. Overall I think the LCD-X lacks let's call it resolution... detail, some sharpness in the sounds it reproduces, definition. Separation needs serious money to be gotten to a good level too.

I haven't encountered worse value than in headphones, DACs, amps, cables, etc. Based on my experience with a bunch of headphones what is apparent given how differently they sound is that not one actually delivers musical reproduction, or in my opinion quality worth the asking price especially factoring in the necessary additional products. I think it's delusional to think that true quality musical reproduction is what these headphones do when a listen to a bunch of them yields a bunch of "truths", and in my opinion these truths are defined by limitations and flaws, of course at minimum distortion to cause them all to be different. You can't talk about true musical reproduction in this context. The existence of $50k headphones suggests this.

It's funny you should write that last sentence when the value of computer parts is based on quantities rather than the subjective qualities and often exaggerated nonsense that necessarily goes for value measurement in audio. You can't pull the wool over my eyes after the experience I've gathered over the past several months. Big money is apparently relative. Like it or not, the money involved here for what it is spent on is big money for most people, and I'd bet most people would find it exceptionally poorly spent here. You can try to claim that computer parts are obsolete from the get-go but no one cares for such an argument. I may not be a fan of the value of my $1800 monitor, $1250 graphics card, $1000 processor plus motherboard but at least I know what I'm getting there. I know what 4k with high dynamic range and gsync does for picture quality and the significance of achieving higher frames per second on higher refresh rate monitors. I also know that the processor is what is holding my objectively fast 240hz monitor a little back and I stand to gain a further competitive advantage making the upgrade. Not the way things work with headphones. You spend thousands of dollars on stuff and end up with sound and differences that leave you confused and wondering what the hell is going on. You have to resort to reading the impressions of others to "know" what you're buying into, and often to find out that people are strange. Take a look at some of the stuff claimed about the Magni 3, by the way. Same sort of drivel you read about everything else. Sorry, but you have no basis to compare this to computer parts. Sure, spending $10,000 like you have could perhaps get you rather far, and I'm just giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm limited to hitting the eject button before then and putting what are apparently crumbs into better value propositions.

To be fair I think the lack of technically high quality music is a factor here, but that's neither here nor there.
Sounds like your visual accuaty is much more discriminating than your hearing. Stick to gaming; you don't rate as a music or audiophile critic. Back to ignoring your posts.

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #10,595 of 12,748
An eye-opening accident. A family member wanted a headphone in the lower price range, and one of the few choices I gave them was the HD650 based on popularity and reputation I suppose. In the process I tried selling them the iFi Nano BL portable DAC/amplifier. To my dismay I was told and heard for myself that a laptop sounded better with plenty of volume to spare than that DAC/amp paired with the HD650. So much for what I have been reading over and over again. I compared the HD650 to the LCD-X under the same conditions at the time and was satisfied with the LCD-X being significantly better- the sound was much fuller, other aspects seemed better too. The Gumby and Taurus MKII I had turned into a casualty, however, as later on I decided to compare them with the LCD-X to the Nano BL with the LCD-X and decided I was wasting [a lot of] money.

Fastforward to a few days ago, I haven't been fully satisfied with what I have. I suppose that's ok, eventually would go for a V281 and an expensive DAC (add that up, thought the next logical step would be an Yggdrasil, maybe try reading about all the other ~$1500 stuff I don't hear anything about except for random mentions from knowledgeable people). The thing is a couple of further upgrades to my PC popped up and I was short on money. For whatever reason it occurred to me to try the HD650 vs the Audeze LCD-X, and see if I can further plug the HD650 directly into my computer to sound good (I had read something about doing so directly into my motherboard). Lo and behold the HD650 plugged into my motherboard sounds sufficiently hefty and close to the LCD-X plugged into a Mimby and Jotunheim, certainly in the context of $350 vs about five to six times as much when I could use more money. Keep in mind I'm not a person whose first instinct is to settle for clearly inferior stuff. The funny thing is recently, in fact all of the big money items I've bought and am buying for my PC have themselves been of poor value, yet their improvements are concrete. I also tend to game much more than I listen to music.

It has been a long path for me since I found out about expensive headphones, DACs, and amps, but I have come to a strong opinion, born from experience, that the value in these types of products is awful. I can spend the money better elsewhere. The LCD-X was my winner at the <$1500 price range but when you add the price of DACs and amps, even mid-tier ones at best, the money put in balloons further. The HD650 is by comparison only $350 and I have found out I do not need to spend a stinking cent on a DAC or even an amplifier despite the myriad claims to the contrary. I have heard enough things myself, and of course plugged the HD650 into the current Mimby + Jotunheim stack I have. It doesn't make sense for me not to sell. Like I said, I wasn't particularly satisfied beforehand and the HD650 alone has come impressively close. At some point diminishing returns become unacceptable. It does depend how big of a part of your life headphones and music are though, so that's an important qualifier.

Anyway, all of the stuff in my signature is for sale. Need to snap a few picks of the Schiit. When I'm ready to spend >=$5000 ($5000 being realistic with second-hand items, mind you) to give this another crack I'll be game again. If I get a life in the meantime I might be out until the revolution that makes this stuff worth the money it asks for. That or maybe I lose my legs and my arms and don't have the spirit to make lemonade. Then I'll be listening to Skrillex and classical music on a Susvara and the equivalent of a good quality used car.
So what are you selling ? Price????

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #10,598 of 12,748
I'm keeping :L3000:

Frontend endgame.jpg

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #10,599 of 12,748
Hey guys.

i wanna buy end game headphones i have HD6XX wich is the same as HD650 and i want to upgrade to LCD-X i like bass and neutral to worm sound and details and not huge soundstage so i read about LCD-X's and i found out that's what i'm looking for but how is LCD-X compere to LCD4 ?

and how is LCD-X sound with NFB-11.28

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #10,600 of 12,748
To me LCDX has better tonality, easier drive good dynamic, nicer (shiny grill on LCD4 is pretty ugly to me), much more cheaper achievable = easy choice...
Try choose some gear which will support tonality of X so no warm like AK SP1000 (just example) etc. but what exactly buy I can not advice you.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #10,601 of 12,748
Hey guys.

i wanna buy end game headphones i have HD6XX wich is the same as HD650 and i want to upgrade to LCD-X i like bass and neutral to worm sound and details and not huge soundstage so i read about LCD-X's and i found out that's what i'm looking for but how is LCD-X compere to LCD4 ?

and how is LCD-X sound with NFB-11.28
X is endgame for me; affordable. Unless you have serious money and are willing to take a chance on a US$4K HP, the X could very well be the answer for you. The LCD-4 comes in a Hi-Z and Lo-Z version. The LCD-4Z, being the lower impedance is easier to drive with lower powered units like my Hugo2. But, can't tell you directly how the 4 series sounds.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #10,602 of 12,748
LCD-X is a fine headphone. Price allows for selection of some quality upstream components, amp/dac/cable to round out a good solid value for dollar spent. Hard to go wrong there. No matter what elitists may say, this group of components with the X will provide thousands of hours of super enjoyable musical reproduction. No EQ necessary, no wringing of hands nor furrowing of brow. Just blissful auditory nirvana.

Just do it. =)

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #10,603 of 12,748
To me LCDX has better tonality, easier drive good dynamic, nicer (shiny grill on LCD4 is pretty ugly to me), much more cheaper achievable = easy choice...
Try choose some gear which will support tonality of X so no warm like AK SP1000 (just example) etc. but what exactly buy I can not advice you.

thank you man, when i ask about LCD-4 i was asking about the sound compere to LCD-X is it huge different that worth 2796$ to upgrade from LCD-X to LCD-4.

X is endgame for me; affordable. Unless you have serious money and are willing to take a chance on a US$4K HP, the X could very well be the answer for you. The LCD-4 comes in a Hi-Z and Lo-Z version. The LCD-4Z, being the lower impedance is easier to drive with lower powered units like my Hugo2. But, can't tell you directly how the 4 series sounds.

Noooo xD i don't have that money i have only like 1300$ maximum and i was attracted to Audeze and i really wan't to try the LCD series and after reading i found that LCD-X made for me and i have the money for it but i just want someone that owned or tried them both to compere the sound, what i like about the X is how easy to drive them and how they look and how they sound as i read, didn't try them but what ppl say about them how they good and how they sound that's what got me.

LCD-X is a fine headphone. Price allows for selection of some quality upstream components, amp/dac/cable to round out a good solid value for dollar spent. Hard to go wrong there. No matter what elitists may say, this group of components with the X will provide thousands of hours of super enjoyable musical reproduction. No EQ necessary, no wringing of hands nor furrowing of brow. Just blissful auditory nirvana.

Just do it. =)

thank you guys i'll pull the trigger and buy the LCD-X i really appreciate your help, and sorry if my English is bad this is my second language.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #10,604 of 12,748
[QUOTE="

and sorry if my English is bad this is my second language.[/QUOTE]

Not to worry... Don't lose any sleep on the quality of that English... It's fine. Besides, I'm betting that most people (if not everyone) on head-fi get the meaning of the expression "pulling the trigger," and that of it's inseparable partner: "sorry for your wallet":)

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #10,605 of 12,748
[QUOTE="

and sorry if my English is bad this is my second language.

Not to worry... Don't lose any sleep on the quality of that English... It's fine. Besides, I'm betting that most people (if not everyone) on head-fi get the meaning of the expression "pulling the trigger," and that of it's inseparable partner: "sorry for your wallet":)[/QUOTE]

You right xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back