Audeze LCD-X
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #10,576 of 12,748
Man I put the hours on that system. The way I see it, every time I listen to music I treasure those memories as part of the fabric of life.

Wow, that was well said.:)

I suspect the gumby with the new Mjolnir2 would be a killer combo too. Even better, the yggy with the GSX Mk2. Just sayin'... :L3000:

That would be my end game amp.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #10,577 of 12,748
I am really loving the MJ2 and the subtle yet apparent way that tubes affect this hybrid amp. I am currently running some Reflektor 6N3Ps and this combo with the Gumby is insane. My LCD-X are experiencing more clarity, soundstage, bass then ever before and on top of that its the first time ive experienced a warmer sounding headphone that still maintains incredible detail retrieval in the sound. I am hearing background noises and vocals that I previously had never heard on songs I have listened to hundreds of times. Id kinda be curious to hear the Yggy paired with the Gumby seeing as the Yggy is supposed to be more revealing. But the GSX Mk2 would be endgame SS for sure. prolly woulda saved money in the long run had i just gone that route as now I feel like I will spend more and more money on tubes just to see what can be achieved with them.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #10,578 of 12,748
But the GSX Mk2 would be endgame SS for sure. prolly woulda saved money in the long run had i just gone that route

I don't think a $5500 Amp/DAC combo would be saving money over your setup.:wink:

A big reason I have Yggy is speakers, the soundstage is epic.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #10,579 of 12,748
I don't think a $5500 Amp/DAC combo would be saving money over your setup.:wink:

A big reason I have Yggy is speakers, the soundstage is epic.
nah deffinitely not just makin a joke about how much money I have already spent on tubes and how much more I wanna spend now that I have got a taste of their sound haha. but it would be hard to spend an extra 3500 in tubes.... at least I hope.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #10,580 of 12,748

Broke out the X to listen to this classic. Yep, it still gets it done. Then listen to same on 4z. Wow. Then on i4. Just wow.
Nice to know my old favorite LCD-X still cranks it out and is always there in reserve...

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #10,582 of 12,748
I could never sell my trusty old X. And truth told, I could have just continued using the X and been just fine because it still works flawlessly.
I guess it's just the desire to try out newer devices to see if they are all that. Well they are incredible, but so is the X and it stays put.
I updated the headband to the new suspension style plus I could not get anything for them if I did try to sell them.
Tip: always keep awesome old headphones and dogs. Until they pass away, they will be your best friends. =)

Oct 1, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #10,584 of 12,748
I think you may have missed his point :)

@commtrd I can relate regarding keep something tried and true. In fact I can see my X's fitting into that category. I think I might justjust pr them over my clears, but won't be in any rush to sell the clears off any time soon, but I probably would before the X's.

Not so much about my mimby though... Great little box but it's getting zero usage anymore. But that's a story for another thread.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #10,586 of 12,748
The drivers in my X have thousands of hours on them. I would not try to sell them in good faith to someone knowing how many hours on them, and with requisite disclosure I doubt anyone would pay more than a few hundred to buy realistically. So I reckon it's just better to keep them. Still work nicely, and much sentimental value besides.

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #10,587 of 12,748
Ha, your a decent guy, I knew it. :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #10,589 of 12,748
I'm curious, why'd you decide to sell?

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #10,590 of 12,748
An eye-opening accident. A family member wanted a headphone in the lower price range, and one of the few choices I gave them was the HD650 based on popularity and reputation I suppose. In the process I tried selling them the iFi Nano BL portable DAC/amplifier. To my dismay I was told and heard for myself that a laptop sounded better with plenty of volume to spare than that DAC/amp paired with the HD650. So much for what I have been reading over and over again. I compared the HD650 to the LCD-X under the same conditions at the time and was satisfied with the LCD-X being significantly better- the sound was much fuller, other aspects seemed better too. The Gumby and Taurus MKII I had turned into a casualty, however, as later on I decided to compare them with the LCD-X to the Nano BL with the LCD-X and decided I was wasting [a lot of] money.

Fastforward to a few days ago, I haven't been fully satisfied with what I have. I suppose that's ok, eventually would go for a V281 and an expensive DAC (add that up, thought the next logical step would be an Yggdrasil, maybe try reading about all the other ~$1500 stuff I don't hear anything about except for random mentions from knowledgeable people). The thing is a couple of further upgrades to my PC popped up and I was short on money. For whatever reason it occurred to me to try the HD650 vs the Audeze LCD-X, and see if I can further plug the HD650 directly into my computer to sound good (I had read something about doing so directly into my motherboard). Lo and behold the HD650 plugged into my motherboard sounds sufficiently hefty and close to the LCD-X plugged into a Mimby and Jotunheim, certainly in the context of $350 vs about five to six times as much when I could use more money. Keep in mind I'm not a person whose first instinct is to settle for clearly inferior stuff. The funny thing is recently, in fact all of the big money items I've bought and am buying for my PC have themselves been of poor value, yet their improvements are concrete. I also tend to game much more than I listen to music.

It has been a long path for me since I found out about expensive headphones, DACs, and amps, but I have come to a strong opinion, born from experience, that the value in these types of products is awful. I can spend the money better elsewhere. The LCD-X was my winner at the <$1500 price range but when you add the price of DACs and amps, even mid-tier ones at best, the money put in balloons further. The HD650 is by comparison only $350 and I have found out I do not need to spend a stinking cent on a DAC or even an amplifier despite the myriad claims to the contrary. I have heard enough things myself, and of course plugged the HD650 into the current Mimby + Jotunheim stack I have. It doesn't make sense for me not to sell. Like I said, I wasn't particularly satisfied beforehand and the HD650 alone has come impressively close. At some point diminishing returns become unacceptable. It does depend how big of a part of your life headphones and music are though, so that's an important qualifier.

Anyway, all of the stuff in my signature is for sale. Need to snap a few picks of the Schiit. When I'm ready to spend >=$5000 ($5000 being realistic with second-hand items, mind you) to give this another crack I'll be game again. If I get a life in the meantime I might be out until the revolution that makes this stuff worth the money it asks for. That or maybe I lose my legs and my arms and don't have the spirit to make lemonade. Then I'll be listening to Skrillex and classical music on a Susvara and the equivalent of a good quality used car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back