Audeze LCD-X
Sep 23, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #10,561 of 12,748
Man I gotta tell ya the MJ2 Gumby combo is outta this world to my ears my friend. As far as tubes go I havent tried the SS tubes yet as I have been enjoying some high end tubes I got from @TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas . And yes man I have never hard my Xs sound so good. I mean seriously the LCD-Xs are an amazing pair of cans. Since I have had them every single upgrade I have made to my chain has only made them sound better and better. I boggles my mind that I still havent reached there limit.

Yes the X is truly an incredible device. Obviously by far the best bargain in the entire LCD lineup. These cans with a really competent amp and dac are hard to beat.
As sick as the LCD4z are (and i4 also) there are no flies on the X at all. If I couldn't have gotten the 4z and i4, I would not worry about that. Systemic balance at a really nice price point is readily achieved by these cans at under $1k, with say another 4 or 5k in the dac, amp, cabling and that figure could be substantially less if judiciously buying good used gear. And then end up with just a smokin' hot setup for personal audio that will provide for untold hours of listening. In fact with a known quantity such as the X, more capital can then be allocated towards upstream chain development. Potential for putting together a really incredible cohesive top-flight system with this approach (utilizing final drive element of LCD-X) at a serious cost efficiency becomes a reality. And this point is one that beginning or even mid-level audiophiles should be aware of.

I just couldn't get rid of my X. Just too much sentimental value there.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #10,562 of 12,748
@thebkt how would you say the clears compare to the X?
Would you be satisfied if I said they both sound great to my ears?

Right now, I couldn't actually give you an apples to apples comparison, as I don't yet have a balanced cable for my X's. I got the creators edition and only have the 6.35mm cable right now, with a balanced cable on order from Ursine Audio (will hopefully arrive in the next 2-3 weeks). Regardless of the opinion of whether or not balanced vs single ended has any intrinsic difference, my DAC/Amp are balanced and I'm using ACSS to connect my two Audio-GD components. That is to say that my system is set up to be balanced, with only my headphone out being Single Ended on the X's.

Still... they both sound awesome to me and I can put either headphone on and enjoy it wholeheartedly. Though it has to be said that over time I've come to notice some differences in sound between the two. For starters, Sonarworks brings forward a slight upper-mid dip in the Clears, adding just a little more presence in that region. The difference between standard and the corrected with the X is far, far more pronounced. I'd say that the Clears have a more powerful upper-bass -> mids which results in sustained notes being fuller, but the X's definitely have more sub-bass and a bit more slam, so staccato notes can be felt, not just heard, even though the music might not have a sustained energy/fullness/buzzword to it. I honestly don't prefer one over the other. I can now relate to a lot of the descriptions I've read about both headphones. The X's are silky smooth and I find myself leaning back in my chair, closing my eyes and simply enjoying what I hear, not fretting over whether or not the music is being perfectly reproduced. While the clears are just so pleasing, everything sounds good through them and they absolutely do not need EQ to be enjoyed... by me. If I had to pick one, I'd grab both and run. I'm not selling either, I love 'em both.

In regards to ergonomics/comfort/usability, I will pick the X's. If my ears were smaller, I'd be completely happy with both. But as I've mentioned previously, the earpad cavity of the Clears simply isn't big enough for my elephant ears and I can feel pressure on my ear lobes after some time. Despite the weight, I can wear the X's (with the suspension headband) for hours on end with zero discomfort. However, for every up there's a down, as such, you can't get around the weight of the X's for scenarios such as laying down, they simply slide off my head. I often listen laying down, and the Clears with a slight tilt of the headband forward hold firm and do the trick. The Clears are also far more viable for transport or moving around while listening. They also sound good enough out of my phone that I can simply plug 'em in while I'm doing housework.

So in summary, I like both a lot. I'd be content with either, but I appreciate the privilege of having both and plan on taking full advantage of that. With regards to sound quality alone, if you have either, I would not race out to buy the other. I'd only recommend swapping or getting the other if your specific circumstances mean the other would service you better.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #10,563 of 12,748
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #10,564 of 12,748
Man I gotta tell ya the MJ2 Gumby combo is outta this world to my ears my friend. As far as tubes go I havent tried the SS tubes yet as I have been enjoying some high end tubes I got from @TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas . And yes man I have never hard my Xs sound so good. I mean seriously the LCD-Xs are an amazing pair of cans. Since I have had them every single upgrade I have made to my chain has only made them sound better and better. I boggles my mind that I still havent reached there limit.
That was one of the first things I noticed about them. They really benefit from upgrades, such as cables.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #10,565 of 12,748
That was one of the first things I noticed about them. They really benefit from upgrades, such as cables.
Yup me too I remember when I first got them being a little dissapointed, but I was still streaming MP3s and using a much cheaper DAC and AMP. When I switched to tidal and added better equipment the sound improved immediately and I was like oh they are just so damn good they just highlight every flaw perfectly to the point you just notice it every time. With the chain I have now its just extasy in my ears right now. I have no complaints at all other then it just makes me wanna hear the LCD-4 even more cause I know they have even more clarity with all the positives of the X.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #10,566 of 12,748
@thebkt Good response. I am happy to hear I am not losing much by not owning both. Still wish I had the funds to own em all though or be one of them review people who just get to try all the most amazing gear. That would be awesome but alas I shall continue down my own path and it aint that haha.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #10,567 of 12,748
@P.Car I found that my X warmed up a lot too as I put more hours on them. I dont think its a flaw probably just more in line with the X and Audeze natural sound. When I first got my X I thought they were bright but more hours I put on them the more they warmed up but I believe they are now where they will stay and I enjoy the sound enough and could EQ a lil treble into them if I want them a little brighter. The Sonarworks EQ is doin that for them right now and the bass boost feature of this EQ is pretty insane to I have never heard a headphone thump like this while maintaining quality and producing no distortion. I dont think I will end up buying Sonarworks as I would like a little more control over more frequencies but I am super impressed none the less. I have been talkin with the other guys in this thread about how many EQs I have tried that just added to much unwanted noise and distortion but Sonarworks system at least the ref 4 version for me has been by far the best Ive ever heard. Not sure if that helps you in any way but just wanted you to know you are not alone in noticing the warming of the X as it was quite apparent to my ears too.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #10,568 of 12,748
The EQ of Sonarworks is supposed to be literal EQ, i.e. a flat or neutral response if I'm not mistaken. Theoretically you wouldn't need a solution providing more control. Depends on whether you believe this target is what sounds best.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #10,569 of 12,748
The EQ of Sonarworks is supposed to be literal EQ, i.e. a flat or neutral response if I'm not mistaken. Theoretically you wouldn't need a solution providing more control. Depends on whether you believe this target is what sounds best.
Its not that I dont like flat or neutral, I just dont like it all the time and would ideally enjoy the ability to have a little more play in different frequencies. At the same time it is not lost on me that I am by no means a sound engineer and could make things much worse given to much freedom haha. This could very well be the reason sonarworks limits what you can do with it to keep people like me from totally jacking up the time and energy they have taken to make it sound so good.

Does anyone know if you have to repurchase it with each headphone or once you have it you can use it on all your headphones?

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #10,570 of 12,748
Hey All,
Just got my hands on a pair of XC's.

Curious to hear from current owners with thoughts in general.

I have looked through the thread, but I suppose am interested in long time owners thoughts....
and looking now I see I'm in the wrong place. Apologies.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #10,571 of 12,748
Hey All,
Just got my hands on a pair of XC's.

Curious to hear from current owners with thoughts in general.

I have looked through the thread, but I suppose am interested in long time owners thoughts....
and looking now I see I'm in the wrong place. Apologies.

I think the XC sounds better to me than my Xs.

That's just me...

Maybe I got a really interesting pair and I just got lucky?

I know Audeze evolves their headphone line up constantly and the newer the specific model, the more chance it has to not sound similar to a very old version of the same specific model.

Anyway, back to the X discusson.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #10,572 of 12,748
I had to get some work done at home last night and I figured I'd spend some time listening to the X through my 28.38 while I worked.

Somewhere around 3 and a half hours in, I realized I was late to bed and got almost nothing accomplished.

I couldn't have been happier.

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #10,573 of 12,748
I had to get some work done at home last night and I figured I'd spend some time listening to the X through my 28.38 while I worked.

Somewhere around 3 and a half hours in, I realized I was late to bed and got almost nothing accomplished.

Welcome to my world.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #10,575 of 12,748

I can relate. I get into the groove, but then some part of a song will kick in and knock me out of my work and get me seriously bopping my head to the music, which I in turn have to break out of to get back to work. It's pretty rough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back