Audeze LCD-X
Jul 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #9,451 of 12,748
Any headphone worth a damn is not forgiving of anything. If it is, it means it is masking something of the recording. And it will do that with all recordings, good or bad.

The purpose of any headphone is to let you hear, as closely as possible, exactly what is in the recording. Without adding or taking away ANYTHING.

Therefore, the answer to your question is "it will sound poor". The quality of the recording is more important than any piece of gear you have, including the phones themselves. A fantastic recording will sound good on anything. A bad recording will sound bad on anything.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #9,452 of 12,748
Since they're not super bright, grain isn't that harsh and jarring like with HD800 or other more "sterile" headphones.

You can still hear the nastiness in the recordings quite well, but it doesn't really ruin the experience.

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #9,454 of 12,748
Question: how does the X sound with poorly recorded music? I have a pretty extensive collection of ripped Jazz, some from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Great music but not engineered or recorded to today's standards.

Well recorded music sounds great on high end equipment (430HAD and Elears). How about less than optimum recordings? Are the X's somewhat forgiving?

When people talk about headphones sounding bad with poorly recorded music, they don't mean old music, they mean music that was done with a bad ear. Those old records are gonna sound as good as they've ever sounded. The ones that won't are where the engineer mixed them badly or tried to implement an awkward v-curve (modern pop music and rap are big violators).

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #9,455 of 12,748
You know what's annoying?

I want to upgrade just because I'm one of those guys, but I seriously haven't found anything that's better. At least nothing I've heard personally. I fear I've hit my endgame and I don't like it.

This.

As it is, the LCD-X has noticeably more punch than my 800S. It was also my first purchase on this forum :).

So, where to from here? I'm wondering whether LCD-3 is a noticeable step up, or whether my aspirations need to extend to the LCD-4. Although, I do like the idea of the HE 1000 V2.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9,456 of 12,748
This.

As it is, the LCD-X has noticeably more punch than my 800S. It was also my first purchase on this forum :).

So, where to from here? I'm wondering whether LCD-3 is a noticeable step up, or whether my aspirations need to extend to the LCD-4. Although, I do like the idea of the HE 1000 V2.

The LCD-3, to my ears, lacked the attack and energy of the X. It's smoother and warmer, but not quite what I wanted. Haven't heard the 4 yet.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #9,457 of 12,748
Just posting because I have to tell someone and I figure y'all will appreciate: Over the past month-ish, I upgraded from a [Schitt Bifrost Uber / Asgard 2 unbalanced into a LCD 2.2F] to a [Schitt Gungnir Multibit / Mjolnir 2 balanced into a LCD-X] and I can't even handle the difference; it's almost painful how delicious it sounds. Last night was a mixed genre, Stevie Wonder - Patricia Barber - Guns N' Roses - Q-Tip - Paul McCartney - Horace Silver - Iggy Pop - Townes Van Zandt - Angel Olsen marathon and it just doesn't matter what I throw at it, the LCD-X's are clear as all get out with that sweet Audeze house bass and instrument separation that is just dumbfounding.

Anyways, pretty damn sure I am on Endgame Island, population me, and I had to shout it somewhere. Thanks to people who commented on the sound and gave reviews. The description of the LCD-Xs as "tightened LCD 2 bass plus opened up / neutralized mids / treble" was spot on to my ears, and I'm glad for the assistance in pulling the upgrade trigger.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,458 of 12,748
Just posting because I have to tell someone and I figure y'all will appreciate: Over the past month-ish, I upgraded from a [Schitt Bifrost Uber / Asgard 2 unbalanced into a LCD 2.2F] to a [Schitt Gungnir Multibit / Mjolnir 2 balanced into a LCD-X] and I can't even handle the difference; it's almost painful how delicious it sounds. Last night was a mixed genre, Stevie Wonder - Patricia Barber - Guns N' Roses - Q-Tip - Paul McCartney - Horace Silver - Iggy Pop - Townes Van Zandt - Angel Olsen marathon and it just doesn't matter what I throw at it, the LCD-X's are clear as all get out with that sweet Audeze house bass and instrument separation that is just dumbfounding.

Anyways, pretty damn sure I am on Endgame Island, population me, and I had to shout it somewhere. Thanks to people who commented on the sound and gave reviews. The description of the LCD-Xs as "tightened LCD 2 bass plus opened up / neautralized mids / treble" was spot on to my ears, and I'm glad for the assistance in pulling the upgrade trigger.
A quite eclectic listening session. I, for one, am glad you're finding enjoyment in your upgraded setup. The X is a beautiful piece of technology, positively senitive to source upgrades, and, at least I've found, cable choice. I love the highs being there as needed, not cuttingly as with some cans. Have fun.

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #9,459 of 12,748

Anyways, pretty damn sure I am on Endgame Island, population me, and I had to shout it somewhere. Thanks to people who commented on the sound and gave reviews. The description of the LCD-Xs as "tightened LCD 2 bass plus opened up / neutralized mids / treble" was spot on to my ears, and I'm glad for the assistance in pulling the upgrade trigger.

I agree with all of this. It's still very much an LCD headphone, but sounds a bit more energetic and open.

What's funny is I use a bunch of IEMs for mobile use and there's a few seconds when I put the X on after only being on IEM Island for a day or so and I go "whoa these sound weird" and then my brain readjusts and it's all heaven again.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #9,460 of 12,748
I agree with all of this. It's still very much an LCD headphone, but sounds a bit more energetic and open.

What's funny is I use a bunch of IEMs for mobile use and there's a few seconds when I put the X on after only being on IEM Island for a day or so and I go "whoa these sound weird" and then my brain readjusts and it's all heaven again.
I noticed the same thing after using my Grados. My Angies make me think of an IEM version of the X, if not in fact, in general.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #9,461 of 12,748
I noticed the same thing after using my Grados. My Angies make me think of an IEM version of the X, if not in fact, in general.

I admit I've been on the hunt for an IEM version of the X. The Mee P1 is definitely close.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #9,464 of 12,748
This.

LCD3 depends what you have for system. If you have quality seperate source and quality seperate amp, LCD3 will be maybe better maybe not. But LCDX sound great even out of the all in one system, and I also agree with SomeGuDude it is more energetic etc..

And as regards HE1000 it is good idea, I am not fan HiFiMAN or I am not fan top headphone models becouse of price politics but HE1000 is really great headphone it sounds just right in most aspects in my opinion, very good choice, I recomend try it.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #9,465 of 12,748
Do tell more. Not familiar with Mee.

$200 single dynamic driver IEM. It's got elevated bass but some added treble to give the music more energy. Obviously, a DD IEM isn't going to sound exactly like a huge planar open-back, but I think they match pretty damn well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back