Audeze LCD-X
Aug 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #9,466 of 12,748
has anyone had issues with the driver making a crinkling soda-can noise when you put it on? Mine just started to do this in the left driver after over two years of use.

I'm worried about potential loss of sound quality or an imminent driver failure.

Audeze customer service said it was normal but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #9,468 of 12,748
has anyone had issues with the driver making a crinkling soda-can noise when you put it on? Mine just started to do this in the left driver after over two years of use.

I'm worried about potential loss of sound quality or an imminent driver failure.

Audeze customer service said it was normal but it just doesn't seem right to me.

It's not an uncommon thing with planars or electrostats.

You have to remember that these are a very thin film stretched across the magnets. It's nothing dangerous, just try not to do anything that will cause the noise too much.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #9,469 of 12,748

Hello,

When I bought my LCD-x used, I had no problem like that. Couple month later (in mid April this year), I had my drivers upgraded by the local dealer. When I had my cans back, I had lots of crinkling soda-can noises (aka stax farts). The dealer said it was normal, it is because I have a good seal. I checked on the internet, and it is true. But it is anoying. Now, I don't have anymore the problem. I don't know why... Maybe because my hair is a little longer, so, maybe, I don't have a good seal anymore. Anyways, nothing to worry about.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #9,470 of 12,748
So my Deckard came back after using the X through my Mojo.

Ahhhh I missed how well these two worked together.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #9,471 of 12,748
Hello,

When I bought my LCD-x used, I had no problem like that. Couple month later (in mid April this year), I had my drivers upgraded by the local dealer. When I had my cans back, I had lots of crinkling soda-can noises (aka stax farts). The dealer said it was normal, it is because I have a good seal. I checked on the internet, and it is true. But it is anoying. Now, I don't have anymore the problem. I don't know why... Maybe because my hair is a little longer, so, maybe, I don't have a good seal anymore. Anyways, nothing to worry about.

Ok thanks for that! How are you liking the newer drivers' sound?

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #9,478 of 12,748
Have an LCD-X with volume mismatch so I sent them in for repair. They upgraded the drivers to the current version and, at my request, installed the carbon fiber headband (at my expense of course).

To me, the new sound signature is a little more neutral than before, which is good and bad depending on the music. I got them as "fun" headphones to compliment the analytical HD800, the new drivers definitely sound less fun. However, differences are subtle and I still like the LCD-X in its current form a lot!

The carbon fiber headband is more comfortable than the stock one, but not a night and day difference to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back