Audeze LCD-X
Jun 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #9,421 of 12,748
For sure. Heck it can even get to a decent level out of a phone.

However...and I'm not normally one to use the phrase "scales up," but the X definitely seems to grow with better gear. It sounds amazing out of the Mojo, and even better out of the Deckard (admittedly the Deckard is tuned to the X specifically).
I love it through my Hugo. Probably good with it as some say the Hugo's a bit bright. Therefore does great with X.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #9,422 of 12,748
Well, I just came back from the audio store and here are my findings for the 2 hours I was there. We don't have many audiophile oriented shop here (my country), because the market is just too small and this is one of the better if not the best store around.

I requested to audition the Elear and the X, the staff connected them to a WA6 and a AudioGD dac (I don't know what it was, but it was huge and hooked up with fancy power cords and a power regulator, probably the NFB7). I started with the Elear, it was really similar to what other people described it, but I guess it wasn't that magical? Or maybe it sounded quite natural which made me overlook how good it actually was. And it sounded really coherent too, at least to my ears. Next is the bass, to me it was close to "thunderous", but it didn't sound like it was too excessive but much more than what I'm used to. The others are pretty good, I'm not a reviewer and not experienced enough to pick out the flaw in the mids that some people were talking about. But the only disappointment is soundstage, it really didn't sound like much compared to some cheaper headphones. But for that price and considering how well it perform in other areas, really impressive plus it was comfortable except the clamping force was a little too much (probably because it's a very new unit). *The utopia was just 5 steps away from me sitting on the shelf :frowning2:

Next up was the X, I didn't know what to expect after listening to the Elear. The immediate impression was the soundstage was much wider, I wouldn't say it's few metres away, but realistically it was about half a metre away. But with my eye closed and a little bit more focus, it was even further away while the Elear sounded really close. Not sure if it was the soundstage, everything sounded less crowded, and less "loud" even at about the same perceived overall volume. But the details are still there, just not in your face type of presentation. However the magical thing was with certain tracks, those details surprised me beyond my expectations. There's a song that I've heard couple hundred times or even more since I was 3-4 y/o, it's the first time I hear the drummer counting the beat with his drum stick. It was so real that I thought the staff was searching something behind me and made me look like an idiot for looking all around. Next is the bass, I think I will have to agree that it is much more controlled than the Elear, I don't know how to describe in detail but it wasn't slamming straight into my face, but it was there and it was powerful. The mids was nice but the highs weren't as prominent as the Elear, and imo was less fatiguing for long listening session. Lastly is the comfort, this beast is really really heavy. When I picked it up after listening to the Elear, I felt that it was quite a bit heavier, but I thought it was still acceptable. After 15 minutes of sitting in a non-ideal position (on a ikea couch that is a little far from the amp), my neck started to feel weight and together with the clamping force, it wasn't the nicest experience. I did listen for another half an hour, didn't feel too much of a hotspot on the headband area but definitely felt how heavy it was on the neck.

The staff also passed me the Ether Flow for audition because the dealer just dropped it off for demo purposes. It was good, but I'm not sure if it's what I like. The bass was quite good, but it didn't go low enough and the soundstage wasn't very wide. Erm, like many said it's more like a V shape response. But it was the lightest and most comfy imo. Sadly, it's so light that it felt a little cheap, same goes to the the Edition X V2.

Initially I just wanted to give a short impression but it ended up this long. Sorry for that, sorry for my bad english (not my mother tongue) and the bad description of sound too(I'm really not good at describing things). The Elear sounded more engaging but it was a little crowded imo, and the X definitely had its own place in my heart. At this point, I'm not sure if I can handle the weight and clamping force of the X on a daily basis and enjoy it. The Elear is pretty tempting for its price (they quoted me a price slightly lower than srp) but I prefer the sound of the X a little more. It's a hard choice and I definitely need some time to make the decision.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #9,423 of 12,748
Let us know what happened. On the subject of A.M. cables, I found a very reasonably priced cable from SilverBlue audio in California. A really significant upgrade to the sound. Give him a Google when you have the time. He posts on here, though I've not seen him in some time. Enjoy.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.
Here's the thing. It's going to come down to whether you want the planar sound or not. That's not a very concrete definition I know, but planar magnetic drivers and dynamic drivers really do present themselves differently. The Elear is great (I actually prefer it to the Utopia), but the X takes that wonderfully lush Audeze house sound and evens the response out a bit so it's not as warm and dark. I had the cash ready for the 3 and opted for the X.

In the end, your ears are what will tell you what's best. This is a big investment, so that means what sounds best *to you* matters a hell of a lot more than any charts or graphs or other reviews you read. I can tell you why I personally think the X is the best headphone I've had the opportunity to hear (and admittedly I haven't heard everything), but it's entirely possible that some of what I like about it doesn't strike your ear right.

Remember this, too: Among products like the X and Elear, there is no "wrong" choice. These are all goddamn incredible products and any one of them could be endgame.
Indeed these are like my end game. I've not tried many headphones, so there's nothing much that I can say and I always wonder how can a reviewer write up such complex review for sound as if it is some kind of mystical art.

For sure. Heck it can even get to a decent level out of a phone.

However...and I'm not normally one to use the phrase "scales up," but the X definitely seems to grow with better gear. It sounds amazing out of the Mojo, and even better out of the Deckard (admittedly the Deckard is tuned to the X specifically).
I'm not sure if it "scaled up" but it did sound much more refined on the ~$5000 set up than my iPhone 6. But it sounded much better than lots of stuff out there straight out of my phone.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #9,424 of 12,748
Well, I just came back from the audio store and here are my findings for the 2 hours I was there. We don't have many audiophile oriented shop here (my country), because the market is just too small and this is one of the better if not the best store around.

I requested to audition the Elear and the X, the staff connected them to a WA6 and a AudioGD dac (I don't know what it was, but it was huge and hooked up with fancy power cords and a power regulator, probably the NFB7). I started with the Elear, it was really similar to what other people described it, but I guess it wasn't that magical? Or maybe it sounded quite natural which made me overlook how good it actually was. And it sounded really coherent too, at least to my ears. Next is the bass, to me it was close to "thunderous", but it didn't sound like it was too excessive but much more than what I'm used to. The others are pretty good, I'm not a reviewer and not experienced enough to pick out the flaw in the mids that some people were talking about. But the only disappointment is soundstage, it really didn't sound like much compared to some cheaper headphones. But for that price and considering how well it perform in other areas, really impressive plus it was comfortable except the clamping force was a little too much (probably because it's a very new unit). *The utopia was just 5 steps away from me sitting on the shelf :frowning2:

Next up was the X, I didn't know what to expect after listening to the Elear. The immediate impression was the soundstage was much wider, I wouldn't say it's few metres away, but realistically it was about half a metre away. But with my eye closed and a little bit more focus, it was even further away while the Elear sounded really close. Not sure if it was the soundstage, everything sounded less crowded, and less "loud" even at about the same perceived overall volume. But the details are still there, just not in your face type of presentation. However the magical thing was with certain tracks, those details surprised me beyond my expectations. There's a song that I've heard couple hundred times or even more since I was 3-4 y/o, it's the first time I hear the drummer counting the beat with his drum stick. It was so real that I thought the staff was searching something behind me and made me look like an idiot for looking all around. Next is the bass, I think I will have to agree that it is much more controlled than the Elear, I don't know how to describe in detail but it wasn't slamming straight into my face, but it was there and it was powerful. The mids was nice but the highs weren't as prominent as the Elear, and imo was less fatiguing for long listening session. Lastly is the comfort, this beast is really really heavy. When I picked it up after listening to the Elear, I felt that it was quite a bit heavier, but I thought it was still acceptable. After 15 minutes of sitting in a non-ideal position (on a ikea couch that is a little far from the amp), my neck started to feel weight and together with the clamping force, it wasn't the nicest experience. I did listen for another half an hour, didn't feel too much of a hotspot on the headband area but definitely felt how heavy it was on the neck.

The staff also passed me the Ether Flow for audition because the dealer just dropped it off for demo purposes. It was good, but I'm not sure if it's what I like. The bass was quite good, but it didn't go low enough and the soundstage wasn't very wide. Erm, like many said it's more like a V shape response. But it was the lightest and most comfy imo. Sadly, it's so light that it felt a little cheap, same goes to the the Edition X V2.

Initially I just wanted to give a short impression but it ended up this long. Sorry for that, sorry for my bad english (not my mother tongue) and the bad description of sound too(I'm really not good at describing things). The Elear sounded more engaging but it was a little crowded imo, and the X definitely had its own place in my heart. At this point, I'm not sure if I can handle the weight and clamping force of the X on a daily basis and enjoy it. The Elear is pretty tempting for its price (they quoted me a price slightly lower than srp) but I prefer the sound of the X a little more. It's a hard choice and I definitely need some time to make the decision.
I just read a review of the Elear on headphonia, described simililarly to your oppinions. Perceptive of you.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #9,425 of 12,748
Indeed these are like my end game. I've not tried many headphones, so there's nothing much that I can say and I always wonder how can a reviewer write up such complex review for sound as if it is some kind of mystical art.

95% of headphone reviews out there are just jargon.

And let me tell you, the Utopia is one of those headphones that really doesn't offer a hell of a lot over the Elear unless you've got an insane amplifier setup. Out of most of the gear I listened to, the Elear was a slight preference. Out of a Chord DAVE, the Utopia pulled ahead, but I ain't spending that kind cash.

You get used to the fit/weight of the X, honestly. They're a little heavy, but the clamp makes it easier to deal with. I sit with these things for a few hours a day and don't really have issues.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #9,426 of 12,748
Felt a tickle in my ear........
XPNm1SW.jpg
Guess I'm not the only one who loves the LCD-X's. :)

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #9,430 of 12,748
You know what's annoying?

I want to upgrade just because I'm one of those guys, but I seriously haven't found anything that's better. At least nothing I've heard personally. I fear I've hit my endgame and I don't like it.

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #9,431 of 12,748
I hear you. I have had my X for two years now. I have listened to most of the cans in the same range and the TOTL with the exception of the Abyss. Nothing has made me want to open my wallet and kick the X to the curb. I really liked the SR007 but I have two top amplifiers and to buy the headphones and then to have to buy a third amplifier? I don't think I can bring myself to make that happen. Eventually I will probably end up with an LCD-4 but it just isn't that much better. For now the diminishing returns factor won't let me lay out that kind of cash all at once. Right now the only way I see anything happening for me is if some LCD-4 owner needed some quick cash and would take the X in partial trade. Until whenever comes I am happy(?) with my X.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #9,432 of 12,748
Not suggesting anyone abdicate - my LCD-X aren't going anywhere :relieved:

But some alternatives, which for me get some significant ear time, are the Focal Utopia and ZMF Eikon. The Utopia do something quite special in the treble region - not as intimate, but precise without being harsh, and most importantly not losing bass quantity. The Eikon sound is unique across the entire spectrum, but engages me particularly in the bass region in ways none of my other headphones do.

Of course, I'm writing this with LCD-X playing, and I am quite content :blush:

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #9,433 of 12,748
You know what's annoying?

I want to upgrade just because I'm one of those guys, but I seriously haven't found anything that's better. At least nothing I've heard personally. I fear I've hit my endgame and I don't like it.
I know what you mean. Ive had the same headphone for 8 years. Its like Nothing wows me like the first time i upgraded. I went from a 10 dollar headphone all the way to denon d7000.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #9,435 of 12,748
Are LCD XC just closed LCD X's? Got a deal on the LCD XC and want to know if i remove the cup I'll be getting the audeze LCD X.

No, they're retuned to work with the fact that they're a closed back. You can't pop the back off to make an LCD-X and more than you can stick a bowl on the outsides of the LCD-X and make an XC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back