Audeze LCD-X
Mar 18, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #7,681 of 12,748
Do you think an amp at any price would really make a noticeable difference? At this point, I feel like we're fighting for extremely minuscule improvements.

Definitely quality amp with quality power supply will make improvement, I think O2DAC with nice quality amp as I wrote would be great system to start. And you can try some nice silver or cooper heaphone cable for your LCDX in future too. 
But you bought nice system O2+ODAC, LCDX is easy to drive so it needs system with neutral tones or a little more brighter character will be fine too:)..

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #7,682 of 12,748

Do you think an amp at any price would really make a noticeable difference

End of the day it's all relative.  YMMV is a cliche in this regard.  The placebo effect of spending more equals better also has a huge effect on a person's interpretation.  All I would say is try to audition before buying.  

I have used mine with a V200 and then moved on to a WA22 with good tubes. The X sound very good on both amps, each amp having it's pros and cons.  I prefer the tube amps for their glorious midrange and holographic soundstage.  The first time I heard the LCD-X was when it was connected to a Cypher Labs Trio portable tube amp.  And they sounded fantastic.  But as the amps got better the sound improved too, IMO.

Now there are members who have heard the LCD-X on V281s and Apex Tetons and this is apparently as good as it gets.  

Note: Don't bother with cables.  You will only hear that miniscule difference in them if the rest of the gear is really up there.  

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #7,683 of 12,748
Do you think an amp at any price would really make a noticeable difference? At this point, I feel like we're fighting for extremely minuscule improvements.

Heck yes amps make a difference. I've gone to many a meet with my LCD-X and heard some very disappointing amp results. I have noticed the LCD-X sounds better on more powerful amps.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #7,684 of 12,748
the LCD-X is so efficient that I found it difficult to use with a powerful amp...great cans but even with a Mojo i could barely turn the volume up .....

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #7,685 of 12,748
the LCD-X is so efficient that I found it difficult to use with a powerful amp...great cans but even with a Mojo i could barely turn the volume up .....

I've found on my Oppo HA-1 that they liked high impedance. It sounds a lot cleaner on low volume rather than low impedance with higher volume.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #7,686 of 12,748
I prefer the High Impedance setting on the WA22 
beyersmile.png

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #7,687 of 12,748
I prefer the High Impedance setting on the WA22 :beyersmile:

I'm experimenting with that right now. I don't think I can hear a difference on the WA22 but that depends on tube setup also.
It makes a massive difference on the SS Oppo HA-1. High is way better.

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #7,690 of 12,748
On the WA7, the low impedance setting is definitely better.  While neither setting sounds bad, the treble is definitely off when using my LCD-X while in the low impedance setting.  It's a little too hot.  The low impedance setting sounds more neutral.  I had a friend of mine who isn't into Hi-Fi much, but who has trained ears as a producer and engineer, and he immediately heard that something was off when he heard my LCD-X on my WA7 for the first time.  I had left it in high-impedance mode from my HD 700's and forgot to change it.  As soon as I did, he fell in love with the system.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #7,692 of 12,748
Typically, the best place to grab headphones for a deep price cut is to buy used from the buy/sell forums here. I've never seen any of the  LCD series take a price reduction. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #7,693 of 12,748
  I got to demo the LCD-X today at CanJam and loved it.  I was wondering if it's common for these things to go on sale?  Does Audeze or other retailers have specials?  I enjoyed them a lot but the $1,700 tag is tough to swallow.

This is as close as you can get to an Audeze sale, from Black Friday last year.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788674/audeze-almost-black-friday-sale

So for a discount it's either B-stock or used.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #7,694 of 12,748
Question.. I was listening to some car sound videos on YouTube through my LCD-X playing off my phone, and a lot of videos have extreme variances in volume, and it can sound fairly loud(even if my phone volume is only at half). Should I be cautious with that? I've read some things about amps clipping, and I figure my phone's headphone amp probably isn't all that powerful, so if the amp clipped couldn't that damage my headphones? Or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I'm not sure how I would manage listening to podcasts either for the same reason.. But that would really be lame if I could only listen through a proper amp to ensure my headphones were protected!

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #7,695 of 12,748
Question.. I was listening to some car sound videos on YouTube through my LCD-X playing off my phone, and a lot of videos have extreme variances in volume, and it can sound fairly loud(even if my phone volume is only at half). Should I be cautious with that? I've read some things about amps clipping, and I figure my phone's headphone amp probably isn't all that powerful, so if the amp clipped couldn't that damage my headphones? Or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I'm not sure how I would manage listening to podcasts either for the same reason.. But that would really be lame if I could only listen through a proper amp to ensure my headphones were protected!

Amps and headphones clipping is not as bad as your ear drums clipping. If you ever experience your amp clipping while you're listening to your headphones then most likely your eardrums would have clipped by then....and that's bad news 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back