Audeze LCD-X
Mar 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #7,667 of 12,748
  Any word on where I could get an LCD-4 headband for my LCD-X? Last I heard is that it should be out fairly soon?

If you send Audeze an e-mail they can hook you up with the new headband, since you are already an owner of the LCD-X.

BTW, the midrange of the HD800 blows away the LCD-X.  Just IMO.  The bass of the LCD-X wins hands down.

Cheers,
RCB

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #7,668 of 12,748
Thanks. Would Audeze still send a headband if I didn't buy the LCD-X directly from their site?

I've heard the HD800s sound bright, cold and analytical. I'm not too sure I'd like that kind of sound. I haven't been able to get a good impression of what the X can do until my amp comes in the mail tomorrow. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #7,669 of 12,748
I have a rather funny story about the bass of the LCD-X. When I first tried them, I plugged them directly into my laptop. Apparently my laptop somehow doesn't output any signal from 60 Hz or below, so I got NO sub bass. I was pretty disappointed..

But then I tried it straight from my iPhone 6S. THERE'S THE BASS! It put a grin on my face

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #7,670 of 12,748
  Thanks. Would Audeze still send a headband if I didn't buy the LCD-X directly from their site?

I've heard the HD800s sound bright, cold and analytical. I'm not too sure I'd like that kind of sound. I haven't been able to get a good impression of what the X can do until my amp comes in the mail tomorrow. 

It doesn't matter if you buy one of their headphones from their site, from an authorized retailer or used from a member on Head-Fi, eBay, reddit, etc. etc. etc. 

They will sell you an updated suspension headband if you submit an inquiry/ticket on their website. One of the customer service reps will guide you through the steps and send you a PayPal link for payment. 

Another option is buying the headband off Adorama. 

My personal suggestion is to wait. I bought the headband for my LCD-X and I noticed that a user on the LCD-4 thread had complained to Audeze about the hot spot being present because the leather strap would touch the carbon fiber band. It's a manufacturing/design error they are in the process of fixing. 

Once they correct the length of the leather band, I'd say go for it. Hopefully they'll update their website so you don't have to call/email them in order to purchase one. 

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #7,672 of 12,748
I vote for LAu (Liquid Gold) and HD800S!

Yeah. Everyone is remembering the old HD800 as bright, harsh and analytical. The HD800S is not that HP anymore.
I hated the HD800 and I'm a massive Audeze fanboy. However I admit now that the HD800S is special.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #7,674 of 12,748
  Just out of curiosity...

Anyone compared the Cavalli Liquid Gold, Audio GD Master 9 and the Violectric V281 driving the LCD-X?
Also, how the LCD-X compares with the new HD800S?

i have both v281 and master 9 and the lcd-x is my reference headphone for critical listening sessions and audio mastering jobs.
I strongly prefer the lcd-x in balanced mode with the Audio gd master 9 because the lcd-x with the maser 9 is more transparent faster and linear.
The liquid gold has a sort of hifi or "colored" sound to my ears.The audio gd is a sort of wire with gain.the v281 is a really good amp
but less poweful than the master 9 with orthos and a little bit less neutral.
The v281 pairs very well with high impedance cans like those ones made by sennheiser so i guess that the hd800s should be a really good match with the v281 especially in balanced mode

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #7,675 of 12,748
  i have both v281 and master 9 and the lcd-x is my reference headphone for critical listening sessions and audio mastering jobs.
I strongly prefer the lcd-x in balanced mode with the Audio gd master 9 because the lcd-x with the maser 9 is more transparent faster and linear.
The liquid gold has a sort of hifi or "colored" sound to my ears.The audio gd is a sort of wire with gain.the v281 is a really good amp
but less poweful than the master 9 with orthos and a little bit less neutral.
The v281 pairs very well with high impedance cans like those ones made by sennheiser so i guess that the hd800s should be a really good match with the v281 especially in balanced mode

Wow, thank you very much!
I'm saving for an end game combo, and I nailed it to the LCD-X, HD800S and that two amps (Audio GD & V281). I will not buy Stax because here in Europe it costs twice the price, and if buyed to pricejapan warranty only applies in Japan, it's a lot of money so that's very important to me. Not to mention having to mess with step up transformers...
I'm looking for a headphone that is accurate to make mixing and mastering decisions, but also very musical, with that I mean is very revealing but without killing a poor recording, because 60% of the time I'll use it for listening pleasure. I listen to almost any genre of music, that includes jazz, pop, rap, rock, soul...etc.
It sounds like LCD-X and Audio GD are screaming my name, but I'm very intrigued about the HD800S and the Violectric amp too.

PS: sorry for the terrible english.
PS2: Yes, I'll run the setup all balanced, I have no interest of spending that kind of cash in something that is not fully balanced :D

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,676 of 12,748

Yes, they will.

BTW, the sound of the HD800 all depends on the upstream rig.  Mine sound nothing like bright, cold or analytical.  They sound sublime.  The mids are the best in the business, IMO.  

I think the HD800 scale better than any other HP.

FWIW.
RCB

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #7,678 of 12,748
  My O2+ODAC combo came in today! OH MY! This is the sound I've been after! SO happy with my purchase! WOW! Much, much, much better than that old He-500 I used to own

Just wait until you hear the LCD-X on something like the Ragnarok. :wink: 

I wouldn't say that the LCD-X is drastically better than the HE-500 though. I personally consider the HE-500 as a "mini" LCD-X, as it has a very similar sound signature. The HE-500 was my first entry into planar magnetic headphones and when I finally purchased the LCD-X, I immediately noticed how much stronger and tighter the bass was. I haven't directly A/Bed them against each other, but I thought the HE-500 midrange was completely fine and the treble did its job. 

I prefer the LCD-X though. No doubt. It's easier to power and more fun to listen to. 

It's good to be content with a purchase!

Mar 18, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #7,679 of 12,748
Just wait until you hear the LCD-X on something like the Ragnarok. :wink: 

I wouldn't say that the LCD-X is drastically better than the HE-500 though. I personally consider the HE-500 as a "mini" LCD-X, as it has a very similar sound signature. The HE-500 was my first entry into planar magnetic headphones and when I finally purchased the LCD-X, I immediately noticed how much stronger and tighter the bass was. I haven't directly A/Bed them against each other, but I thought the HE-500 midrange was completely fine and the treble did its job. 

I prefer the LCD-X though. No doubt. It's easier to power and more fun to listen to. 

It's good to be content with a purchase!

Do you think an amp at any price would really make a noticeable difference? At this point, I feel like we're fighting for extremely minuscule improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back