Audeze LCD-X
Mar 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #7,577 of 12,748
  Any thoughts on powering the LCD-X straight from the iPhone 6S? I plan to purchase a much better amp in the future, but I was wondering if I could get by with just using my phone for the time being.

-You'd be surprised at how good it will sound; the LCD-X are very easy on the amp, and iPhones are pretty decent for audio. You will most definitely get by using the iPhone as a source/amp.

Chances are you'll even enjoy it.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #7,579 of 12,748
Any thoughts on powering the LCD-X straight from the iPhone 6S? I plan to purchase a much better amp in the future, but I was wondering if I could get by with just using my phone for the time being.
You'll get on just fine - then one day you'll hear them played on a decent amp/DAC and realise that you've been missing out.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #7,580 of 12,748
  HELP ME!

First Problem:
Guys,I have got a weird problem here.This is the second time this thing has happened.Sometimes,my LCD-X cans make a very strange electric spark type sound ,and it is very sharp and quick.My friend had my LCD -X plugged into the Deckard, and I was in the other room doing something.He was playing music above normal levels,and I must say it was pretty loud.Suddenly,I heard this loud,sharp sound, and I came running, and you should have seen my friend's face.His face literally had me for that moment,haha.What is this noise? It is definitely not music.It is just like sharp,gritty, electric spark type sound.When I plugged my LCD-X  into the Deckard for the first time,I noticed this problem.The sound is loud,sharp and terrifying.He could have severely damaged his eardrums.

Second Problem:
Has anybody heard Zack Knight ft Rami Beatz - Ya Baba (Official Video) on Youtube? It is in 4k.The bass on LCD-X sounded muddy with this song, and was totally out of control.I downloaded the same song in 320 kbps Mp3 as Flac was not available ,and again the same problem.This particular song has got a lot of subbass, and the cans start to shake, and simply fail to handle the bass.The bass is kind of ''all over the place.'' I simply can't enjoy the song with LCD-X! Guys,I may be asking you a lot here,but please check it out and let me know what's wrong with it.

I've heard that kind of sudden static strike when listening on my GMB - BHA-1 rig and the DAC tried to change bit depths and couldn't lock onto the signal.  It happened when I was using a USB cable to connect the computer to the DAC.  Once the DAC locked, all was OK but it was a scary experience.  I shut the rig down in a panic at least once.  I've since changed to an optical connection and the event hasn't repeated.  My take was that the event was not related to the HP's, but to the upstream source components.

FWIW,
RCB

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #7,581 of 12,748
You'll get on just fine - then one day you'll hear them played on a decent amp/DAC and realise that you've been missing out.

+1  Fully agree.  The X are so easy to push at 20 ohms impedance, you can get loud sound with even a cell phone.  But a better DAC/amp will bring out the quality in the music.  And, the better the DAC/amp pairing, the better the SQ.  IMO, the X will scale all the way to killer rigs like the Yggy/Rag or Yggy/WA5.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #7,582 of 12,748
  I've heard that kind of sudden static strike when listening on my GMB - BHA-1 rig and the DAC tried to change bit depths and couldn't lock onto the signal.  It happened when I was using a USB cable to connect the computer to the DAC.  Once the DAC locked, all was OK but it was a scary experience.  I shut the rig down in a panic at least once.  I've since changed to an optical connection and the event hasn't repeated.  My take was that the event was not related to the HP's, but to the upstream source components.

FWIW,
RCB

Thanks,dude.
normal_smile .gif

For a second,I thought that the drivers were gone! What kind of negative impact it may have had on the drivers or is it a non-serious strike?

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #7,583 of 12,748

Thanks,dude.
normal_smile%20.gif

For a second,I thought that the drivers were gone! What kind of negative impact it may have had on the drivers or is it a non-serious strike?

It didn't seem to affect the drivers going forward.  The SQ was still excellent.  The event, however, is quite abrupt and scary.  Needs to be fixed with stability of your upstream rig.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #7,584 of 12,748
Thanks everyone! It's only a matter of time before I click that buy button..

Now I just need to think about how I'm going to keep the fact that I spent $1,200-$1,400 on headphones from my family! If they ask, I'll just tell them $300. :smirk:

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #7,586 of 12,748
I
Thanks everyone! It's only a matter of time before I click that buy button..

Now I just need to think about how I'm going to keep the fact that I spent $1,200-$1,400 on headphones from my family! If they ask, I'll just tell them $300. :smirk:
I highly doubt that you will regret it. The expense will blow over in your mind (and your families if they find out) after not too long, and when the dust has settled you'll be left with a kick-ass pair of headphones.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #7,588 of 12,748

I have told my wife that its a 15 year old headphone and it costed me 10$ 
beerchug.gif

I don't tell my wife anything. Things just appear.
gs1000.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #7,589 of 12,748
I
I highly doubt that you will regret it. The expense will blow over in your mind (and your families if they find out) after not too long, and when the dust has settled you'll be left with a kick-ass pair of headphones.

Would you suggest I go straight for the LCD-X without an amp now(will buy a nice one in the future), or get something like the He-500 + Lyr 2 combo for the time being, then later upgrade to the LCD-X? 

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #7,590 of 12,748
Would you suggest I go straight for the LCD-X without an amp now(will buy a nice one in the future), or get something like the He-500 + Lyr 2 combo for the time being, then later upgrade to the LCD-X? 
Me personally? I would choose the LCD X over the HE-500 (even with that amp) without thinking twice. The HE-500 is great but the X (to me) is one of the best, if the best in its price range.That and the HD800S.
Have you listened to them yet or are you buying them based on reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back