Audeze LCD-X
Mar 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #7,606 of 12,748
Given the bass distortion and wonky treble of The Abyss, I'm not so sure if I'd say they're "in a different league." 
Bass distortion? lol wut? Adjust them right and drive them properly and you won't hear any bass distortion or 'wonky' treble I assure you. They are in a different league across all boards.

You haven't actually bought your X's yet have you? lol.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #7,607 of 12,748
Bass distortion? lol wut? Adjust them right and drive them properly and you won't hear any bass distortion or 'wonky' treble I assure you. They are in a different league across all boards.

You haven't actually bought your X's yet have you? lol.

I think he's referring to this higher measured bass distortion than say the LCD-X:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf

I think the Abyss have quite good bass overall regardless of this...it's the mids and treble were I had issues.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #7,608 of 12,748
I think he's referring to this higher measured bass distortion than say the LCD-X:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf

I think the Abyss have quite good bass overall regardless of this...it's the mids and treble were I had issues.
I had a problem with all of it on my first audition. Turns out one of the earpads was in a completely different position to the other, I didn't know how to adjust them, and I was driving them with an o2. The treble sounded tizzy, I didn't hear the 'godlike bass' people had screamed about at all.

On my second audition I went prepared with the right equipment and knowing id have to fit them specifically for me.

I was blown away.

I had the LCD X for 7 months and listened pretty much everyday. They were my favourite headphone.

On my second audition I bought the Abyss within an hour (I was due to be there for 6 hours).

They did everything better than my X's. By a lot.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #7,609 of 12,748
I had a problem with all of it on my first audition. Turns out one of the earpads was in a completely different position to the other, I didn't know how to adjust them, and I was driving them with an o2.

On my second audition I went prepared with the right equipment and knowing id have to fit them specifically for me.

I was blown away.

I had the LCD X for 7 months and listened pretty much everyday. They were my favourite headphone.

On my second audition I bought the Abyss within an hour (I was due to be there for 6 hours).

They did everything better than my X's. By a lot.

I'm glad you like them.
smile.gif
 I tried many different positions of the headband a few times and it seems my results got worse...not better. There are plenty of headphones to suit our tastes/desires...but these really weren't for me in any way (looks, comfort, sound or measured performance). 

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #7,610 of 12,748
I'm glad you like them. :smile:  I tried many different positions of the headband a few times and it seems my results got worse...not better. There are plenty of headphones to suit our tastes/desires...but these really weren't for me in any way (looks, comfort, sound or measured performance). 
Have you had the opportunity to hear the L700 yet? They were my first choice before the AB-1266. Stax have done themselves proud with that one.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #7,611 of 12,748
Have you had the opportunity to hear the L700 yet? They were my first choice before the AB-1266. Stax have done themselves proud with that one.

Not yet...I would love to hear them though and I'm curious to how they'd compare to my SR-009 or SR-007Mk1! 

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #7,613 of 12,748

+1
I'm still in great hesitation to let LCD-X go despite my latest acquisition of Abyss. May be it's not at the level of Abyss's performance, but it's sooooo good to keep
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have said "Abyss's subjective performance" to be more accurate. Sure, objective  measurements technically prove the superiority of a headphone's performance over others; and SR009's distortion is the best of all, bar non. But after all, it will never end up on my list of pleasure listening headphones. 

Are these technical distortions in Abyss noticeable by human hearing? Do they interfere with listening enjoyment? I do not know. But I do know that Abyss's has its problem in mid and treble when used with a wrong rig (it's not listenable for me with M11, yes it's strange! got all sort of harsh treble, and a bit of recessed mid); however, when change to other proper rig  (D100 Mk2 + HF6/iTube>Soloist), I could not get my jaw back to its right position for a while, stunned by what I've been getting from these cans.

LCD-X has all I need to enjoy the euphony of music, Abyss gets me further to a new level of listening pleasure, as long as a synergy is maintained among audio gears, like all other headphones need.

Well after all, everything boils down to our subjective perspectives when matters involve listening pleasures/preferences.  Human variability is endless, and in fact amazing!  Let's enjoy the music, shall we 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #7,614 of 12,748
You seem to be latching onto people and name dropping quite a bit. I'm afraid Bob Katz was black catted to me when he said all of the headphones on the big sound were unlistenable without an EQ and that if you like the 009's you're deaf. A man of experience but clearly makes some of the most subjective statements I've ever heard.

Something you've completely overlooked.

I didn't and won't ignore the measurements for Abyss. They don't measure that well.

You're obviously not picking up what I'm putting down for you so I'll try another way:

The Abyss to me is clearly better on all fronts technically compared to LCD X. The soundstage is more realistic, much larger with better imaging, they are more transparent, they are quicker, the bass is better on all accounts, the treble is far more detailed and airy, the midrange is far more nuonced and lifelike and the list goes on. The Abyss is technically far better on all accounts. Therefore in a different league. Will you prefer its presentation over the X's? Who knows. Will you see (hear) all the large steps up in all of the aforementioned areas when compared? I don't see how you couldn't without buyers bias.

'My' (not on preference) leagues in separation of technical ability would look something like this:

League 1 (examples) 009, 007, Abyss
League 2 (examples) HD800, HE1000, LCD 3/X
League 3 (examples) NAD HP50

I like my momentums but I wouldn't argue that the Abyss despite poorer measurements sound in a different league all together. In fact I don't think anyone would.

I would pick my momentums over the HD800 but would be living on a meta-plane if I said that the HD800 wasn't in different leagues technically.

And lol at needing to do a blind test with a room full of people to make the argument that the Abyss is better than the X. This wouldn't change the measurements so why would that sway you into allowing me to now make my original claim?

Fell on your face a bit with that one.

Just a comment, but I tend to agree with the rankings shown above based on what I've read and heard.  I think the HE-X need to be included in the League 2 list.  I've not heard the Abyss, but I listen to folks who have or own them, and they need to be ranked high.

Not quite sure where the LCD-4 would fall.  Many say it's in #1.

Other cans that aren't listed:  HE-6, Ethers.

The upstream equipment and quality of the music also makes a difference.

Just IMO,
RCB

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #7,615 of 12,748
I think I may have come at a bad time..

Anyways, ..I know this has been discussed countless times on here, but I'm going to ask anyway.. Favorite amp pairing with the X for about $400? +/- $200. I have the O2+ODAC in my scope now. Any other suggestions at a similar price point?

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #7,616 of 12,748
I would buy ODAC rev B with some quallity descrete amp (something like Customworks Hypa 1) I am sure you could have some similar product in your country too.
Or iFi Micro DAC or what you mentioned O2+ODAC rev B. With quality system LCDX willl sound more adult of course but I like Audeze also because it sounds very nice usefully out of this small all in one rigs and it is quite popular here so in future you could sold it with not much lose too if you will want go to higher rigs.. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #7,619 of 12,748
Currently clearing my desk for room to put a headphone stand..

Because GUESS WHAT I JUST BOUGHT!

Excellent. Let me the first to congratulate you. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back