Audeze LCD-X
Nov 5, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #676 of 12,748
A honest manufacturer would have discontinued the LCD2 and replaced it with the X at the same price point. But I understand. The LCD2 sells, you CAN'T replace it, Audeze is a business first. Not many people practice honesty against short-term financial interest. But we tend to remember those who do.

If they replaced it, we would have a cult of the non-linear LCD2 around here, that's what head-fi is for. That, and marketing. :)

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #677 of 12,748
A honest manufacturer would have discontinued the LCD2 and replaced it with the X at the same price point. But I understand. The LCD2 sells, you CAN'T replace it, Audeze is a business first.

If they replaced it, we would have a cult of the non-linear LCD2 around here, that's what head-fi is for. That, and marketing.
smily_headphones1.gif

i wouldn't go as far as calling audeze dishonest. the LCD-2 and LCD-X are different enough and yeah the LCD-X is not the best value on the market, but its not grossly overpriced either. 

the LCD-2 is different sounding still, and has been a favorite for quite some time now. the LCD-X is an improvement. anyways, thats all i'm gonna say as far as their pricing and business goes

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #678 of 12,748
I agree Dubstep Girl, I refined my POV in the first post. Still, the LCD-X is grossy overpriced. I can make a comparable speaker system for that money.

Anyway, it's not about what's right or what I think. It's about what sells. If they sell all they can make, that's the right price.

Myself, I'm retiring from the rat race with a HD600 and a HD250. :)

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #679 of 12,748
the HD 600 is such a good headphone! 

i heard it again at the chicago meet and every time i heard it, i'm surprised how good it sounds for so little. if i ever ended up downsizing, i'd end up with hd 600 or hd 650 and a basic tube amp.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #680 of 12,748
I challenge all headphone manufacturers to build a better HD600 with angled drivers, no 3kHz peak and better bass extension for 500$. That would actually BE progress.

And the funny thing is, many manufacturers CAN do it. At least Sennheiser can. They could have built a non-peaky HD800, they just don't want to. The only thing that will make them do it is if someone else builds it first.

This is corporatism:

If you make money, leave it as it is or increase the price.

Intentionally degrade the lower model to sell the more expensive model. (this is getting ridiculous in the high end audio industry in general and it's the main reason high end audio is a joke).

Slap some wood on it. Make it shiny!

Make a random celebrity endorse it.

Change the color, rename it, charge 20% more.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #681 of 12,748
i think the audeze LCD-X actually fits the bill for what you're describing. of course, its alot more expensive than just a few hundred more. 

my favorite headphone by the way is still the beyerdynamic t1 with the woo audio 2 amp. i plan on rebuying the amp soon, i think i've been as close to happy and satisfied as i can be with that. without spending thousands more.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #682 of 12,748
The LCD-x is still too heavy and the pads are angled not the drivers. And it has an extra 1000$ on top. That's why this is the first Audeze that will be a bad investment, you're going to see them going for a bit over half price on the second-hand market, like the rest of the overpriced high-end stuff.

The T1 could have been such a great headphone. THAT's the form-factor and build quality/weight/comfort I want. Too bad the actual implementation is made in ass-mode.
If Beyerdynamic someday actually start designing their cups with care, they will be unstoppable. As of now, the're the headless horseman of the headphone industry.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #684 of 12,748
Eugenius: It's not that I don't want to hear all about how Audeze is dishonest and the fact that the new LCD-X is a poor investment, but perhaps you could discuss that elsewhere. 

Thanks

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #685 of 12,748
Focker, you little soup nazi. :) This is the LCD-X thread ..

T1: Bass not good enough for a semi-closed headphone, unacceptable upper midrange distortion, the perenial internal cup reflections beyer bugaboo that causes the beyer treble peak of death. So close and yet SO far.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #686 of 12,748
Focker, you little soup nazi.
smily_headphones1.gif
This is the LCD-X thread ..

T1: Bass not good enough for a semi-closed headphone, unacceptable upper midrange distortion, the perenial internal cup reflections beyer bugaboo that causes the beyer treble peak of death. So close and yet SO far.

Oh, that's right...for a minute there I thought it was the "axe to grind" thread 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #688 of 12,748
I have had LCD-X for a day now. Still letting it to burn in, but I can say that even if  overall it is below LCD-3, it still has some things over it and make the LCD-X a very interesting choice. I am sure that will be people that will even prefer the LCD-X instead of LCD-3.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #689 of 12,748
  I have had LCD-X for a day now. Still letting it to burn in, but I can say that even if  overall it is below LCD-3, it still has some things over it and make the LCD-X a very interesting choice. I am sure that will be people that will even prefer the LCD-X instead of LCD-3.

I'm glad that it seems to be holding its own against the 3s...and the one time I read some feedback on comparison to the 2s, DG felt that they clearly bested them. I absolutely HATED sending back my 2s, cause they sounded glorious...but when all the buzz started up about the X and Xc, I took the chance of sending them back during my 30 day return period with the intent to upgrade to one of the X models. 

Have you heard the Xc, as well, Dan? 

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #690 of 12,748
2 weeks ago, I had sold my LCD3 to try LCD-X.  It's arrived today and I listened to it for 2 hrs. 
I would compare LCD-X to LCD3  by my recent memory.

Although LCD-X may perform it's best after burn in but I can notice It's better than  LCD3 at treble (more presence), bass (clearer bass note), speed (quicker than LCD3 but still a bit slower than PS1000).

LCD-3 is a lot better than LCD-X at mid (richer, more resolution, more texture, more articulate), soundstage (wider, more depth, better 3D holographic like).

Will LCD-X be better after some use?  We'll see soon.

PS: I also have He500 and compare it to LCD-X side by side.  He500 has more treble presense but more rigid, less refinement.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back