Audeze LCD-X
Apr 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6,376 of 12,748

I like the X as well and are not trying to convince you to pick up anything else. Just saying that the Hugo don’t have much power to give the LCD 3F and the LCD X will be a better chose if we look at it from a power driving aspect.  

Trust me, I get it.  

When I first got a pair of HD800 to try, all I had was the HUGO to test it with and until I got a different amp did I see why so many love them.  While I "only" had the new Mac headamp to test it with at the time, it had plenty of power and sounded much "better" than being driven by the HUGO.  Same for the new Mac cans.  

Even with the HUGO, there was plenty to drive the 3F.  I actually found the HUGO better than the new Mac headamp with the 3F.  I tried the X and 3F on a whim having lived with the FOSTEX TH900 for 6 months.   I really liked the 3F, don't get me wrong and in fact those were the cans that were recommended I try.  I am really happy I also got the X to try as it was one of those immediate moments where you know exactly what it is you have been looking for you found.  In fact, I figured I would keep both the X and the TH900 the latter for those occasions when  I wanted closed headphones.  I was so enthralled with the X that every time I went to pick up a pair of headphones, all I did was pick up the X and just sold the TH900.  I just find the HUGO + X a combination that, at this point in time, is very hard to beat when it comes to my preferences.  This could change, but for now, this rings my bell and to my tastes, I find the X better than the 3F regardless of what others believe. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #6,378 of 12,748
Holy Fidelity, Batman! I'm listening to amazing sound, thanks to my LCD-X and my Lyr 2 with Holy Grail tubes! This is what I always wanted my system to sound like. Fantastic SQ: supreme instrument separation and nuance, tons of air, detailed imaging, gorgeous extension across the FR. Fantastic!!!

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,379 of 12,748
One of the saddest hi-fi stories I have is of my short time with LCD-X.  Hands down the best headphone I've ever heard, but the weight and clamping force was SO strong for me personally it made me physically ill.  (Headache and nausea mostly.)  Even though I had auditioned them in-store for several hours (AB-ing) the new pair I took home with me just was too damn heavy.  With a heavy heart I had to return them for my second choice, HD800s.  

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #6,380 of 12,748
  One of the saddest hi-fi stories I have is of my short time with LCD-X.  Hands down the best headphone I've ever heard, but the weight and clamping force was SO strong for me personally it made me physically ill.  (Headache and nausea mostly.)  Even though I had auditioned them in-store for several hours (AB-ing) the new pair I took home with me just was too damn heavy.  With a heavy heart I had to return them for my second choice, HD800s.  

Sorry to hear that. The clamp force of my X is negligible; I have vegan earpads and I don't even notice any significant clamping at all. As for the weight, I honestly thought it might be a fatiguing factor, but I'm delighted that it's not at all. The hot spot from the headband is also something a lot of folks have mentioned, so I ordered the band mod from lobh. I don't have it yet but the X is very, very comfortable for me.

My rig is on situated on my standing desk, and I've just completed several hours of listening without any fatigue at all. I was lost in the music!

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #6,381 of 12,748

Sorry to hear that. The clamp force of my X is negligible; I have vegan earpads and I don't even notice any significant clamping at all. As for the weight, I honestly thought it might be a fatiguing factor, but I'm delighted that it's not at all. The hot spot from the headband is also a lot of folks have mentioned, so I ordered the band mod from lobh. I don't have it yet but the X is very, very comfortable for me.

My rig is on situated on my standing desk, and I've just completed several hours of listening without any fatigue at all. I was lost in the music!

In addition to the vegan pads and Lohb headband, I also bent the stock headband a bit just above the plastic connectors on either end and it significantly decreased the clamping force. My buddy came over last night and thought they were too loose, even. But yes, initially I also found them quite uncomfortable and heavy.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #6,382 of 12,748

The weight for sure hasn't changed but it's possible Audeze has reduced the clamp force of the X. Mine is not excessive at all.

As is the case with just about all audio-related stuff, it's relative to the individual.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #6,383 of 12,748

The weight for sure hasn't changed but it's possible Audeze has reduced the clamp force of the X. Mine is not excessive at all.

As is the case with just about all audio-related stuff, it's relative to the individual.

I think that could be possible. I've owned a number of different Audeze cans and my current X's are by far the most comfortable even though they are the heaviest...

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #6,384 of 12,748
I have a number of ear, nose and throat related problems; I think they may have been exacerbated by the X's.  Any time I gently moved the earpads, it created a vacuum effect that I could literally feel in both my ears and tear ducts. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,385 of 12,748
  I have a number of ear, nose and throat related problems; I think they may have been exacerbated by the X's.  Any time I gently moved the earpads, it created a vacuum effect that I could literally feel in both my ears and tear ducts. 

Yeah there was a weird suction I got with the leather pads on the X. I don't seem to get it with the vegan pads, however. Not sure if you tried both but that's at least what I experienced. It was the strangest thing for an over-ear.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,386 of 12,748
I conditioned my leather pads with some leather cream that I had from my couch treatment. It did wonders. Suction/vacuum effect gone completely. Sweat far less and more airy sound.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,387 of 12,748

I have the vegan earpads and they are supremely comfortable. Their foam is very soft and they shape themselves to your ear. The sound is great, too. Highly recommended.

Yeah they look appealing for sure. I am used to it with my HD 800 and like their breathability. Any difference in sound though between leather and vegan? Like Hifiman pleather and velour? I didn't follow much news on Audeze vegan pads or sound changes, so have no idea.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #6,389 of 12,748
The bass seems a tiny bit less punchy and focused on the vegans vs. the leather, but that could just be my brain expecting to hear a difference. Even if it does exist, it's barely noticeable at all.

And yes, I recognize that might be the crappiest answer ever.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #6,390 of 12,748
  I conditioned my leather pads with some leather cream that I had from my couch treatment. It did wonders. Suction/vacuum effect gone completely. Sweat far less and more airy sound.

I would conditioned mine just for the more airy sound:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back