Audeze LCD-X
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5,446 of 12,748
  Hehehe thanks, I'll check! 
biggrin.gif

Yeah I already didn't think headphones themselves always are bad for your hearing; then those things would have been prohibbited ages ago! 
biggrin.gif

I think we have all probably experienced being on a train carraige where you can hear some young fool at the other end of the carraige with iPod style earbuds so loud you can hear them clearly. They will deafen themselves.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #5,447 of 12,748
  I found Master 9 and Precision 2 to sound better with HD800 than HDV800. And they are more versatile, especially M9 which worked fine with all headphones I tested it with, while HDV800 sounded awful with planars.

HDV800 plays pretty well with the 110 Ohms LCD 3F, but not with the 22 Ohms LCD X. The Master 9 plays on a higher level IMO.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5,448 of 12,748

I think we have all probably experienced being on a train carraige where you can hear some young fool at the other end of the carraige with iPod style earbuds so loud you can hear them clearly. They will deafen themselves.

Oh yes, that absolutely!

I've been reading a bit about hearing safety the past couple of weeks; there are "safe" portable MP3-players that limit the sound output to safe or near-safe levels, but we're now deviating from the subject quite far: one of the world's best headphones! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,449 of 12,748
  Oh yes, that absolutely!

I've been reading a bit about hearing safety the past couple of weeks; there are "safe" portable MP3-players that limit the sound output to safe or near-safe levels, but we're now deviating from the subject quite far: one of the world's best headphones! 
biggrin.gif

Quite right - back on topic.

I have been doing some more listening on my LCD-X + Taurus Mk2 combo and am getting a new appreciation for how good it is across all genres. Even classical / vocal / soft rock types of music are rendered very, very well. The LCD-X is not just for heavy rock and bass slamming (although it does that sort of thing exceedingly well).

I have been having so much fun with my WA5 + modded HE6 combination that I have left the LCD-X unloved for far too long. It is great too - but in a different way. Put a gun to my head and force me choose just one planar setup and it would be the WA5 + modded HE6 everytime, but that isn't to say the LCD-X + Taurus Mk2 isn't fantastic too. And there are times when I don't want to play with tubes (heresay, I know).

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #5,450 of 12,748
  Quite right - back on topic.

I have been doing some more listening on my LCD-X + Taurus Mk2 combo and am getting a new appreciation for how good it is across all genres. Even classical / vocal / soft rock types of music are rendered very, very well. The LCD-X is not just for heavy rock and bass slamming (although it does that sort of thing exceedingly well).

I have been having so much fun with my WA5 + modded HE6 combination that I have left the LCD-X unloved for far too long. It is great too - but in a different way. Put a gun to my head and force me choose just one planar setup and it would be the WA5 + modded HE6 everytime, but that isn't to say the LCD-X + Taurus Mk2 isn't fantastic too. And there are times when I don't want to play with tubes (heresay, I know).

My current setup is Computer --> Wireworld USB cable with separated power --> Parasound Zdac --> Atlas Element Integra cable --> Little Dot MK III with RTC 5654 tubes, and I was just about to try to trade it all for a Burson Conductor SL 1793 because the sound of the LCD-X was terribly harsh in the treble, even though I did love the incredible detail in the higher frequencies.
A different power cable made sooooooo much difference, I couldn't believe it! (JIB-Germany Hydrogen)

I also was thinking about buying a WA6SE, but a friend of mine who has one for sale, adviced me to do some tube rolling with the Little Dot first, and adviced me to try these tubes if I like a warm sound: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261682214187?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyway, the LCD-X doesn't fail a single day to astound me on one moment or another in certain songs.
They're indeed great with rock and bass slamming like you say, but it has such a realistic, organic sound! Yeah when I saw this word being used to describe the sound of the LCD-X, I got annoyed because I didn't know how to interpret that, but once you listen to one, you know that word is just right!

Wooden wind instruments really sound like wood, brass instruments really have that metallic sound, I'm really euforic sometimes when listening to music!

Bad recordings sound much better, and some great songs.....well I'll just shut up now or else you guys are gonna call the looney bin to come and fetch me! 
biggrin.gif

Well, just a few links to songs that really impressed me on the LCD-X:

Euzen - The great escape (NOT their best song, but it sounds like it was made for these headphones specifically!)
Lacrimosa - Kyrie
Om - State of non-return
Fever Ray - When I grow up
Susanne Sundfør - White foxes

And tons of others of course, but these had the biggest impact on me when looking at sound improvement compared to listening with my Denon AH-D1100 and AKG K712.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #5,451 of 12,748
Just my impression, but I found the LCD-X much, much better from the SS Taurus than the tube WA5. Some headphones seem better matched to tube amps (HD800) and other SS (LCD-X). That is how it sounds to me, anyway. YMMV.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5,452 of 12,748
  ^^^Cannot compare volume setting on the Mjolnir and the Ragnarok as they are completely different. Even at somewhat close volume levels I can feel the diaphragms moving quite a bit more with the rok. And turn the volume up very much, it is a whole different ball game. Just takes that headphone kicks it in the butt and says "Hold On". This amp is clearly a whole higher level piece of equipment. Extremely clear, clean, black background. Crystal clear treble and earth shattering [but unbelievably clean and detailed] bass and sub-bass. I have never heard the X sound this good ever. I thought the Mjolnir was a pretty darn good amp (it is) but this Ragnarok is clearly just a radical departure from anything I have heard before. I wish I had kept my old LCD-3c phones to use with this rok, as that would likely have been just an unbelievable combination. Oh well. At any rate, have to be careful when rockin' out because it will just be mind-blowing good but no doubt will also be pushing some serious air inside those cups. It quite easily physically moves my ears when cranked up on a bassy song. The X starts acting like a set of speakers mounted on head. Totally different experience. This amp is just ridiculously beautiful, powerful, controlled it's just all that. Really.

Oh my, that sounds good!  Therefore - sell gear to go Rag instead of the Mojo for the LCD-X/XC?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #5,453 of 12,748
Do you have the X's? I find them missing something when listening to them vs. the 800's.

I have both the X and XC.  I currently drive them with the Schiit Audio Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2.  The sound is good but not exceptional.  Then, I decided to purchase the HD800 along with the HDVA600 to drive them.  Based on comments posted on the HDVA800 thread, I thought the HDVA600 would drive both the HD800 and the Audez'e cans.  Well, that didn't work out for me.  The HDVA600 drives the HD800 just fine, but does not pair well with the X/XC.

I am a fan of the Audez'e sound.  They are different from the HD800, that's for sure.  I have had some superlative music "moments" with the X/XC and I want to continue that experience by finding an amp that will really drive the planar magnetics.  They are outstanding cans.  Just different from the HD800.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #5,454 of 12,748

I have both the X and XC.  I currently drive them with the Schiit Audio Uber Bifrost and Asgard 2.  The sound is good but not exceptional.  Then, I decided to purchase the HD800 along with the HDVA600 to drive them.  Based on comments posted on the HDVA800 thread, I thought the HDVA600 would drive both the HD800 and the Audez'e cans.  Well, that didn't work out for me.  The HDVA600 drives the HD800 just fine, but does not pair well with the X/XC.

I am a fan of the Audez'e sound.  They are different from the HD800, that's for sure.  I have had some superlative music "moments" with the X/XC and I want to continue that experience by finding an amp that will really drive the planar magnetics.  They are outstanding cans.  Just different from the HD800.

If your budget stretches far enough, the Taurus Mk2 matches very well with the LCD-X and LCD-3F. Very nice combination, particlarly with an excellent DAC like the Vega feeding the Taurus.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5,455 of 12,748

I just acquired the HDVA600 and HD800, DAC source into the amp is the Schiit Audio Uber Bifrost (unbalanced connection).  The sound is excellent.  The Senn amp drives the HD800 very well, IMO.  However, the Senn amp does not pair well with the LCD-X or LCD-XC.  

ah yes, i mean HDVA 600, not hdv800

i tried those... and i also feel that senn amp is working very well with HD800 and not with X

just wondering what amp i can pair X so i can find the "hidden potential" of X, because i think X have a great potential
just like HD800, i never like HD800 before, but after i pair it with HDVA600, i really think it sounds very good...

smily_headphones1.gif

ah , yes... i mean HDVD800... i tried that and i never tried HDVA600

I agree with your comment about the HD800 sounding very good with the HDVA600.  I own that rig and like it.

I am also looking for an amp to drive my X/XC cans.  Many amps get favorable reviews on driving the X, on Head-Fi.

I am personally considering the Schiit Mojo and Rag, Bryston BHA-1, and the Taurus.  I am not looking at tube amps, although there are many favorable comments about tube amps pairing well with the X.

I have not personally heard any of my potential amps (yet) with the X or XC.

The safest action, as always, is to personally evaluate a rig before you buy.  Good luck, and enjoy the Audez'e sound.

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #5,457 of 12,748

If your budget stretches far enough, the Taurus Mk2 matches very well with the LCD-X and LCD-3F. Very nice combination, particlarly with an excellent DAC like the Vega feeding the Taurus.

I tried 3 Taurus Mk2 units with LCD X and XC and found that the noise floor was relatively loud. On 1 unit, I could hear buzzing whilst music was playing at normal listening volumes. No such problem with Abyss though. These observations were confirmed by my local dealer. So in short, I found that the Taurus Mk2 doesn't play well with highly sensitive headphones. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #5,458 of 12,748

Haven't heard the taurus but read good things about it. I can only say that Master 9 was kind of the best I heard with lcd3, lcd-x and hd800, from my perspective, better than HDV800, than  wa5, wa6se, taboo mk3. Closely after and a little more organic and emotional sounding was the precision 2. Ah and precision 2 was incredible with HD800. Never heard them so full sounded, with deep bass and tamed but still extended and sparkly treble.

I tried 3 Taurus Mk2 units with LCD X and XC and found that the noise floor was relatively loud. On 1 unit, I could hear buzzing whilst music was playing at normal listening volumes. No such problem with Abyss though. These observations were confirmed by my local dealer. So in short, I found that the Taurus Mk2 doesn't play well with highly sensitive headphones. 

Are you sure it wasn't a defective unit or ground loops somewhere in the system? It would be sad if true. m9 and p2 have more power (~17w in 20 ohms and 25W @ 20 ohms) and the background is pitch black.

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #5,459 of 12,748
  Are you sure it wasn't a defective unit or ground loops somewhere in the system? It would be sad if true. m9 and p2 have more power (~17w in 20 ohms and 25W @ 20 ohms) and the background is pitch black.

I'm not sure because I'm inexperienced, but 3 staff members at my local dealer confirmed the issue. It could be a matter of the units being part of a defective batch, but the buzzing/noise floor issue was present in a different way on all 3 units. And if there was a ground loop problem, then I'm sure the pro audio shop would have sorted it out already. But the thing is, the background was pitch black for lower sensitivity headphones like the Abyss. My guess is that most folks are using lower sensitivity cans with the Taurus and hence wouldn't run into the same issue I had. 

What I am sure about is that I've been really happy with the pitch black noise floor of the V281 ever since I returned my Taurus 
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #5,460 of 12,748

I'm not sure because I'm inexperienced, but 3 staff members at my local dealer confirmed the issue. It could be a matter of the units being part of a defective batch, but the buzzing/noise floor issue was present in a different way on all 3 units. And if there was a ground loop problem, then I'm sure the pro audio shop would have sorted it out already. But the thing is, the background was pitch black for lower sensitivity headphones like the Abyss. My guess is that most folks are using lower sensitivity cans with the Taurus and hence wouldn't run into the same issue I had. 

What I am sure about is that I've been really happy with the pitch black noise floor of the V281 ever since I returned my Taurus 
biggrin.gif

I have experienced the same issue with Taboo MK3 and LCD-X. It has a hum noise with lower sensitivity headphones like LCD-X. Because it had 2 xlr outputs, I added a resistor exactly before one of them and got rid of the hum. It is annoying when you have issues like this out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back