Audeze LCD-X
Nov 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,416 of 12,748
Tried LCD X, LCD 3F and HD800 today[COLOR=333333],[/COLOR] finally bought myself LCD X as End-of-the-Year Gift. Looking forward to get HD800 next year to complement my setup :)

Just me thinking out loud.
If you just want to own 1 headphone, go with the X but if you're thinking to add HD800 in the future, maybe the 3F is the better option as both the HD800 and LCD-X are a bit reference sounding, while the 3F is more coloured.
My 2 cents

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #5,418 of 12,748
If you just want to own 1 headphone, go with the X but if you're thinking to add HD800 in the future, maybe the 3F is the better option as both the HD800 and LCD-X are a bit reference sounding, while the 3F is more coloured.
My 2 cents

Thanks akhyar. I was really impressed by HD800's performance on classical recordings. The soundstage and airy feeling of the strings are unmatched. However this is just my early thoughts, hopefully can get a bigger bonus next year so I can have all of them :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,419 of 12,748
Currently using a Dacmini PX at home, may need to upgrade for HD800. That's one of the reason I finally chose LCD X.

i use dacmini cx... but for only DAC... and i use another amp...
i think you should get extra amp, because dacmini is good at DAC and not the amp :) just my opinion

and , heheheh i also thinking about HD800 which i never like it before but i think the amp is the important factor of HD800
because when i heard HD800 with HDV800 (sennheiser dedicated amp for HD8000, it sounds awesome
i am thinking to buy HD800 :) 

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5,420 of 12,748

i use dacmini cx... but for only DAC... and i use another amp...
i think you should get extra amp, because dacmini is good at DAC and not the amp :) just my opinion

and , heheheh i also thinking about HD800 which i never like it before but i think the amp is the important factor of HD800
because when i heard HD800 with HDV800 (sennheiser dedicated amp for HD8000, it sounds awesome
i am thinking to buy HD800 :) 

I just acquired the HDVA600 and HD800, DAC source into the amp is the Schiit Audio Uber Bifrost (unbalanced connection).  The sound is excellent.  The Senn amp drives the HD800 very well, IMO.  However, the Senn amp does not pair well with the LCD-X or LCD-XC.  

Nov 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,421 of 12,748
I just acquired the HDVA600 and HD800, DAC source into the amp is the Schiit Audio Uber Bifrost (unbalanced connection).  The sound is excellent.  The Senn amp drives the HD800 very well, IMO.  However, the Senn amp does not pair well with the LCD-X or LCD-XC.  

Do you have the X's? I find them missing something when listening to them vs. the 800's.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5,422 of 12,748
Do you have the X's? I find them missing something when listening to them vs. the 800's.

I have found the opposite.  As has been said ad finitum, it's easy to appreciate the HD-800's sense of space.  But on most setups I've tried and with most types of music, I find the X to be more satisfying: more enjoyable on the initial impression and more immersive with deeper listening.  To each their own!

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #5,423 of 12,748
I'm wondering about this...what's the pros and cons of a lower ohmed can like the LCD-X (20 ohms), and higher ohmed can like the HD800 (300 ohms) aside from power?

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #5,424 of 12,748
My 2 cents
What kind of "colored" is there on the LCD-3F?

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #5,425 of 12,748

ah yes, i mean HDVA 600, not hdv800

i tried those... and i also feel that senn amp is working very well with HD800 and not with X

just wondering what amp i can pair X so i can find the "hidden potential" of X, because i think X have a great potential
just like HD800, i never like HD800 before, but after i pair it with HDVA600, i really think it sounds very good...

:)

ah , yes... i mean HDVD800... i tried that and i never tried HDVA600

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,426 of 12,748
  I've read in this topic that some people complain about the clamping force of the LCD-X, especially because of the shape of the earpads.

Since I've been using the LCD-X I have a problem with my ears and I wonder if anyone recognises this:
The area behind my ears sometimes is quite sensitive after having used the headphones for a few hours. Not the skin, but the tissue deeper underneath. This goes together with pressure on the eardrums that doesn't easilly go away with swallowing and yawning. I also have quite a bit of tinnitus now, but it gets less when I don't use the headphones for a few days, but it also suddenly can pop up with fluctuations in the volume and sometimes with popping noises.

Perhaps the tinnitus partially can be explained with listening at higher volumes for longer preiods of time, but I also get these problems when I use a much lower volume setting.

My tinnitus seems to get worse even after listening for a short while at low volume. It goes down after a while. I'm still trying to figure it out. I have no idea how I got it in the first place and can't pinpoint when it started. I'm trying to figure out if it is worse with planars than with my other headphones, too. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5,427 of 12,748
  My tinnitus seems to get worse even after listening for a short while at low volume. It goes down after a while. I'm still trying to figure it out. I have no idea how I got it in the first place and can't pinpoint when it started. I'm trying to figure out if it is worse with planars than with my other headphones, too. 

Yeah today I've been listening at low volume again and really took good care not to get too much pressure, and it's back again. Now without the pressure feeling on my eardrums, but my ears are ringing and buzzing again. 
I've never had this with other headphones before; maybe some people indeed are more sensitive for planars? I don't know...

I tried googling with "planar magnetic"+ "tinnitus". I see a tumblr page which seems to have something about it, but it doesn't load that text when I click on it.

Well, I tried lots of searches and the only thing I can find is stuff about higher sound pressure levels at certain frequencies, and because the music is still clear, you don't really notice it. In other words: even when you THINK you have the music at low volume, it is not. I have some doubts about that explaination though.

On the other hand: "Assuming your amp can produce 5W very clean power into 50 Ohms load (LCD-2 has impedance around 50 ohms), THD less than 1%. This corresponds to driving voltage of 16V RMS and current of 0.316A RMS into 50 Ohms load.  Maximum recommended peak power with less than 10% distortion should be 10W, 22V peak voltage, 0.45A peak current.  5W RMS will produce 127dB SPL in a midrange which approaches dangerous levels. Extra power is not to play loud all the time but to preserve the power for high dynamics in music."
I'm not really into these technical things, but I understand more energy is produced even at low levels to make the music more dynamic, and that could be dangerous for your ears?

Still there is hardly anything to be found about this subject, so I guess it's not the answer.
Glad to know actually; I'd hate to have to sell the LCD-X because of this problem! 
biggrin.gif
 I still absolutely love the sound, and recently it got even better by replacing the ODAC with a Zdac, and getting a power filter and very good power cables! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #5,428 of 12,748
Yeah today I've been listening at low volume again and really took good care not to get too much pressure, and it's back again. Now without the pressure feeling on my eardrums, but my ears are ringing and buzzing again. 
I've never had this with other headphones before; maybe some people indeed are more sensitive for planars? I don't know...

I tried googling with "planar magnetic"+ "tinnitus". I see a tumblr page which seems to have something about it, but it doesn't load that text when I click on it.

Well, I tried lots of searches and the only thing I can find is stuff about higher sound pressure levels at certain frequencies, and because the music is still clear, you don't really notice it. In other words: even when you THINK you have the music at low volume, it is not. I have some doubts about that explaination though.

On the other hand: "Assuming your amp can produce 5W very clean power into 50 Ohms load (LCD-2 has impedance around 50 ohms), THD less than 1%. This corresponds to driving voltage of 16V RMS and current of 0.316A RMS into 50 Ohms load.  Maximum recommended peak power with less than 10% distortion should be 10W, 22V peak voltage, 0.45A peak current.  5W RMS will produce 127dB SPL in a midrange which approaches dangerous levels. Extra power is not to play loud all the time but to preserve the power for high dynamics in music."
I'm not really into these technical things, but I understand more energy is produced even at low levels to make the music more dynamic, and that could be dangerous for your ears?

Still there is hardly anything to be found about this subject, so I guess it's not the answer.
Glad to know actually; I'd hate to have to sell the LCD-X because of this problem! :D  I still absolutely love the sound, and recently it got even better by replacing the ODAC with a Zdac, and getting a power filter and very good power cables! :D

I know that people talked of some form of suction or vacuum feeling upon first listening to the LCD-2 (version 1 or 2 at the time). I felt something similar - it was almost a physical discomfort of eardrum pressure (even at low volumes) and maybe that's also because I have tinnitus ? Regardless, I acclimatised to the feeling after a few days and have had no problems since.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #5,429 of 12,748

I sometimes get tinnitus after using my LCD-X's as well.. I attributed it to the awesome sub-bass coming from the X's, since I listen mostly to EDM music.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #5,430 of 12,748
I sometimes get tinnitus after using my LCD-X's as well.. I attributed it to the awesome sub-bass coming from the X's, since I listen mostly to EDM music.
You guys need to go to a really quiet room (or chamber :D) and then try to listen to a really low volume setting, you can almost hear nothing, and then try to "find" or hear that sound consciously. Like your really crazy trying to listen to a really low volume (don't let anybody notice this except those who truly loves you...:D) This will make your eardrums adjust, and get its sensitivity level to normalize.

I'm not a doctor, but this was advised to me by a doctor when I complained of tinnitus/ringing in my ears. True enough, when I tried this, I found the normal listening volume level on my rig is now lower. I think from time to time we need to listen to really low volumes and "tell" our ears---"Hey, that volume level I'm listening to a while ago isn't normal."...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back