Audeze LCD-X
Dec 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #5,431 of 12,748
I know that people talked of some form of suction or vacuum feeling upon first listening to the LCD-2 (version 1 or 2 at the time). I felt something similar - it was almost a physical discomfort of eardrum pressure (even at low volumes) and maybe that's also because I have tinnitus ? Regardless, I acclimatised to the feeling after a few days and have had no problems since.

Yeah I have that too, which to mee seems strange with open headphones. Still I'm not sure if that causes the ringing in the ears itself, but it indeed is a bit bothersome.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #5,432 of 12,748
You guys need to go to a really quiet room (or chamber
biggrin.gif
) and then try to listen to a really low volume setting, you can almost hear nothing, and then try to "find" or hear that sound consciously. Like your really crazy trying to listen to a really low volume (don't let anybody notice this except those who truly loves you...
biggrin.gif
) This will make your eardrums adjust, and get its sensitivity level to normalize.

I'm not a doctor, but this was advised to me by a doctor when I complained of tinnitus/ringing in my ears. True enough, when I tried this, I found the normal listening volume level on my rig is now lower. I think from time to time we need to listen to really low volumes and "tell" our ears---"Hey, that volume level I'm listening to a while ago isn't normal."...
smily_headphones1.gif

That actually doesn't even sound too strange! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #5,434 of 12,748
Unfortunately the LCD-2's LOVE being turned up ... :frowning2:
Yes. But to avoid tinnitus I'd have to always remind myself (a pain, I know) to normalize my ear sensitivity. Then immediately get the LCD-2 and get the ear sensitivity very low again...:D

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #5,435 of 12,748
Unfortunately the LCD-2's LOVE being turned up ... :frowning2:
Tyll is correct in describing the LCD-2 as YUMMY. Very appropriate description. Anything yummy could never be too much...:)

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,436 of 12,748
I found that with the Ragnarok I definitely need to be careful of volume setting because the very first time I listened to the X with the rok the diaphragms were being slammed like I NEVER felt them move with the Mjolnir. I mean those phones were just being blitzed. This amp is a total beast and that means the X respond as expected... And the volume needs to be turned down irrespective of how good it sounds because it is real easy to finish a listening session and feel my ears ringing. This is a serious issue when driving any headphone with an amp that can go large and in charge. Audiophile beware!

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,437 of 12,748
One of my favorite combinations for the lCD X is using it with the Hugo. It has amazing synergy with the little Hugo. I been using it on the desktop with Tidal and the imac. Wow. The synergy is awesome with terrific dynamics and awesome bass  with a superb midrange and treble. Mu review will coming out on 12/8 regarding the X and XC.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #5,438 of 12,748
  I found that with the Ragnarok I definitely need to be careful of volume setting because the very first time I listened to the X with the rok the diaphragms were being slammed like I NEVER felt them move with the Mjolnir. I mean those phones were just being blitzed. This amp is a total beast and that means the X respond as expected... And the volume needs to be turned down irrespective of how good it sounds because it is real easy to finish a listening session and feel my ears ringing. This is a serious issue when driving any headphone with an amp that can go large and in charge. Audiophile beware!

You mean the volume was much higher at the same setting as with the Mjolnir, or did your ears get a bigger impact somehow at similar volumes?
It sounds like it's more an amp issue then than a headphone issue.
I must say that when I got my LCD-X, I also bought a different amp: Objective 2 --> Little Dot MK III.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #5,439 of 12,748

i use dacmini cx... but for only DAC... and i use another amp...
i think you should get extra amp, because dacmini is good at DAC and not the amp :) just my opinion

and , heheheh i also thinking about HD800 which i never like it before but i think the amp is the important factor of HD800
because when i heard HD800 with HDV800 (sennheiser dedicated amp for HD8000, it sounds awesome
i am thinking to buy HD800 :) 

I found Master 9 and Precision 2 to sound better with HD800 than HDV800. And they are more versatile, especially M9 which worked fine with all headphones I tested it with, while HDV800 sounded awful with planars.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #5,440 of 12,748
^^^Cannot compare volume setting on the Mjolnir and the Ragnarok as they are completely different. Even at somewhat close volume levels I can feel the diaphragms moving quite a bit more with the rok. And turn the volume up very much, it is a whole different ball game. Just takes that headphone kicks it in the butt and says "Hold On". This amp is clearly a whole higher level piece of equipment. Extremely clear, clean, black background. Crystal clear treble and earth shattering [but unbelievably clean and detailed] bass and sub-bass. I have never heard the X sound this good ever. I thought the Mjolnir was a pretty darn good amp (it is) but this Ragnarok is clearly just a radical departure from anything I have heard before. I wish I had kept my old LCD-3c phones to use with this rok, as that would likely have been just an unbelievable combination. Oh well. At any rate, have to be careful when rockin' out because it will just be mind-blowing good but no doubt will also be pushing some serious air inside those cups. It quite easily physically moves my ears when cranked up on a bassy song. The X starts acting like a set of speakers mounted on head. Totally different experience. This amp is just ridiculously beautiful, powerful, controlled it's just all that. Really.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #5,442 of 12,748
  ^^^Cannot compare volume setting on the Mjolnir and the Ragnarok as they are completely different. Even at somewhat close volume levels I can feel the diaphragms moving quite a bit more with the rok. And turn the volume up very much, it is a whole different ball game. Just takes that headphone kicks it in the butt and says "Hold On". This amp is clearly a whole higher level piece of equipment. Extremely clear, clean, black background. Crystal clear treble and earth shattering [but unbelievably clean and detailed] bass and sub-bass. I have never heard the X sound this good ever. I thought the Mjolnir was a pretty darn good amp (it is) but this Ragnarok is clearly just a radical departure from anything I have heard before. I wish I had kept my old LCD-3c phones to use with this rok, as that would likely have been just an unbelievable combination. Oh well. At any rate, have to be careful when rockin' out because it will just be mind-blowing good but no doubt will also be pushing some serious air inside those cups. It quite easily physically moves my ears when cranked up on a bassy song. The X starts acting like a set of speakers mounted on head. Totally different experience. This amp is just ridiculously beautiful, powerful, controlled it's just all that. Really.

With Master 9 when I first used LCD-X I was fooled by the very clean & transparent sound at first and I listened at higher volumes. After a few minutes I noticed it was kind of loud and dialed down the volume. If is clean and distortion free, the ear gets fooled at first if I am not mistaken. The distortions usually are the first thing that makes you think that is loud, because with distortions the eardrum moves more. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #5,443 of 12,748
Ah I found a topi about tinnitus and headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/442985/does-having-tinnitus-mean-no-more-headphones

There even is someone who has LESS tinnitus after switching to LCD's! 
biggrin.gif

Well I'll just see how things go. :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,444 of 12,748
  Ah I found a topi about tinnitus and headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/442985/does-having-tinnitus-mean-no-more-headphones

There even is someone who has LESS tinnitus after switching to LCD's! 
biggrin.gif

Well I'll just see how things go. :)

I read "LESS tinnitus after switching to LSD" :))) . 

I wrote 2 articles about how hearing works and hearing safety .

You can get hearing damage from loud sounds in general, not only from headphones. If you use them right, you should be ok.

There is a general misunderstanding on this subject. I heard many people saying that headphones are bad for you. Listening to loud music in general is bad for you, not headphones. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5,445 of 12,748
  I read "LESS tinnitus after switching to LSD" :))) . 

I wrote 2 articles about how hearing works and hearing safety .

You can get hearing damage from loud sounds in general, not only from headphones. If you use them right, you should be ok.

There is a general misunderstanding on this subject. I heard many people saying that headphones are bad for you. Listening to loud music in general is bad for you, not headphones. 

Hehehe thanks, I'll check! 
biggrin.gif

Yeah I already didn't think headphones themselves always are bad for your hearing; then those things would have been prohibbited ages ago! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back