Audeze LCD-X
Nov 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #1,591 of 12,748

That may be fine if you're an amateur! But real artists know the real way to speak to the people is through messy fonts, tons of blur, and lens flairs! JJ Abrams isn't the king of cinema for nothing!

I'm so sorry everyone!

:))  lol.

Guys I cannot get enough of LCD-X. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzW2eso5qyg

The voices , scene openness and treble are incredible on that song.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,592 of 12,748

It must be really good... did you use WA5's single-ended 1/4" or 4-pin XLR output for the LCD-X?

I really did like the WA22 with the LCD-3s, so it's a no brainer that it would be fantastic with the LCD-X. But that said, I needed about $1k of tubes to get them to sound that good on the Woo amp. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,594 of 12,748

That may be fine if you're an amateur! But real artists know the real way to speak to the people is through messy fonts, tons of blur, and lens flairs! JJ Abrams isn't the king of cinema for nothing!

I'm so sorry everyone!

Wait, if this is meant to be a copy of JJ Abrams, how come it a) Seems to have been completed and b) Makes sense ?   

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,596 of 12,748
  The twist is that those amps are from another dimension!

*quickly ascending violin solo, cut to black*

Damn - and I'd guessed from the power LEDs that they were already dead ! Ah, JJ you twist-meister - got me again !! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,598 of 12,748
  LCD-X in da house!
beerchug.gif

Wow! After listening only a few hours I’ve done some initial notes and findings. Lynx Hilo -> Bakoon HPA-21 -> Toxic Silver Widow -> LCD-X. Some of my first comments:

"Pink noise sounds like pink noise again!"

"My LCD-3s will not get used much!" (I have tried to EQ them lately to get some kind of decent high-mids and treble out of them)

"PRaT > 100%!"

If you like drums, to hear all rhythmic figures, tom-tom fills etc. these cans are for you! Maybe the LCD-3 bass draws the attention away from for example tom-tom fills that I haven’t noticed before.

One weird thing is that I suddenly came to think of how compression is applied to songs I know well.

Did any of you LCD-X owners out there note any burn-in effect? If I remember correctly my LCD-3s needed 40 hours or so, after that I cannot say I noticed any difference.

For a long time I thought PRaT was a nonsense term until I got the Studio Six and now I understand what it means: That the gear can deliver the pace, rhythm and timing of the music.

I'm not sure, but I did feel the LCD-3s sounded a bit different after a few hours of use, but I was rotating headphones a lot so it could have been me.

Power = Voltage * Current 

No way around physics....sorry. Based on the website, looks like just 1 W.

Power = Current * Impedance², too. I don't see how that's relevant to the subject here.

Without any knowledge on the gain, you won't go too far with the maths.

Also, power is not the real player here. Current delivery is. Unless you listen at crazy loud volume, you'll never go anywhere close to 1W in power need.
The thing is: powerful amps usually have the current capacity that goes with it (obviously, otherwise distortions would be very high), that's the reason why high power amplifier are always recommended. But having a high power output is not a must to get the surge current capacity the headphone needs. Look at the typical Brit amplifiers: there not that powerful in term of pure wattage (advertised); but man do they deliver in terms of current (which makes their very good PRaT performance)!

Power dissipation might be a reason why the Bakoon can only deliver 1W continuously. Anyway, there's really no reason for an amp to provide 1W of continuous power into a headphone (unless you want to use it as desktop speakers...).
An amp can well be designed with a 250mW maximum output but with a very beefy power supply that can provide lots of current and won't weaken during surge current. A amp can also be designed to provide 6W of continuous power but with a lesser ability to sustain during current surge (which results in high distortion level).

I think the idea with the figure is because a lot of manufacturers list the maximum output in Class AB mode, but only a few list the maximum in Class A. At the risk of getting in trouble with the guys here who know what they are talking about with amp designs (eg: Steve Eddy), I think the idea is that if you select an amp with a high output power figure it is more likely to be operating at its most linear in Class A when used with the Audeze cans.

IIRC with some amps like the Studio Six, the power figure doesn't matter as they are always operating in Class A at headphone listening levels. I'm guessing a Darkstar will too?

--

Back to the cans themselves, I'll make stock my HD-800s and compare both Audeze cans soon on a couple of rigs.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,599 of 12,748

For a long time I thought PRaT was a nonsense term until I got the Studio Six and now I understand what it means: That the gear can deliver the pace, rhythm and timing of the music.

I'm not sure, but I did feel the LCD-3s sounded a bit different after a few hours of use, but I was rotating headphones a lot so it could have been me.

I think the idea with the figure is because a lot of manufacturers list the maximum output in Class AB mode, but only a few list the maximum in Class A. At the risk of getting in trouble with the guys here who know what they are talking about with amp designs (eg: Steve Eddy), I think the idea is that if you select an amp with a high output power figure it is more likely to be operating at its most linear in Class A when used with the Audeze cans.

IIRC with some amps like the Studio Six, the power figure doesn't matter as they are always operating in Class A at headphone listening levels. I'm guessing a Darkstar will too?

--

Back to the cans themselves, I'll make stock my HD-800s and compare both Audeze cans soon on a couple of rigs.

PLEASE stop with the Studio Six.  I want one really bad, but can't spring for it now.  And you're killing me!! :wink:

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,603 of 12,748
The bass bloom doesn't surprise me.  As I said in my review, careful amp matching will be needed to make sure you don't get too much mid bass intruding into the vocal areas.  Warm, thick tubby amps need not apply.  

I'm surprised to see the 8k trench.  That doesn't seem to manifest itself in listening…a good reason to not rely on FR graphs completely.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #1,604 of 12,748

Your LCD-X is just fine.

Here is a LCD-3 graph

LCD-X is more present between 2k and 5k and also between 10k and 20k. Harder to see on the graph as it is compressed at the end on a larger frequency range.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back