Audeze LCD-MX4
Mar 1, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #631 of 907
Mar 4, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #633 of 907
Mar 12, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #634 of 907
Hi everyone, for anyone that is thinking to really take the mx4 to a more enjoyable and upgraded sound, just get the dekoni fenestrated pads

What a great improvement in sound quality, bass is tighter and hits hard, mids are just wow perfect ,like literally perfect full and rich, perfectly placed within the remaining frequencies, and the details in highs are amazing as if a veil been lifted to add perfect highs, that are detailed but never harsh, just perfect highs, and the sound stage opened up more giving better separation

This is a major improvement to mx4 which is reversible

Literally i can not say enough how amazingly the mx4 sounds now

Nice work @DekoniAudio ur pads literally made me change my mind bout selling my mx4

As for @Audeze i really think you should consider using fenestrated pads with mx4

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #636 of 907
So with that being said i am removing my mx4 from the for sale forum, next to me is my hifiman 1000se that i got today which is amazing as well, but right now the mx4 is the one that is giving me this wow effect

Literally i can not say enough how amazingly the mx4 sounds now

Since you mention the hifiman He-1000se, may I ask how it compares with the MX4, and which of the two you would retain if you had to let one of them go? I have also been considering upgrading my He-1000 to the SE, but I am not sure whether the difference in sq would be worth the considerable investment in $$$, especially since I still enjoy the He-1000 (with v2 pads and a Norne Audio Silvergarde S Clear cable) quite a lot. Your impressions would be appreciated.

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #637 of 907
Since you mention the hifiman He-1000se, may I ask how it compares with the MX4, and which of the two you would retain if you had to let one of them go? I have also been considering upgrading my He-1000 to the SE, but I am not sure whether the difference in sq would be worth the considerable investment in $$$, especially since I still enjoy the He-1000 (with v2 pads and a Norne Audio Silvergarde S Clear cable) quite a lot. Your impressions would be appreciated.

hi, lcd mx4 with dekoni pads the mx4 is amazing like literally amazing

As for He1000se you know that the He1000 series are simply amazing headphones, they are very tough to beat, its still early to know the he1000 se by listening to them for few hours, so I have test it thoroughly with all music and genres to come to a final conclusion, so within a week I will be able to answer this better .

I can tell you this the hifiman 1000 se sounds way way better than hifiman 1000 V1 which I auditioned but not owned, but I owned the V2 only

but i can tell you this the mx4 with dekoni pads sound better than lcd4z with stock pads

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #638 of 907
hi, lcd mx4 with stock pads were not for me at all. with dekoni pads the mx4 is amazing like literally amazing,when I say amazing I mean in regards to how they transformed with the pads to turn into a really great sounding headphone. Which gave me the wow factor due to the change in sound after adding the dekoni pads

As for He1000se you know that the He1000 series are simply amazing headphones, they are very tough to beat, its still early to know the he1000 se by listening to them for few hours, so I have test it thoroughly with all music and genres to come to a final conclusion, so within a week I will be able to answer this better .

I can tell you this the hifiman 1000 se sounds way way better than hifiman 1000 V1 which I auditioned but not owned, but I owned the V2 only

but i can tell you this the mx4 with dekoni pads sound better than lcd4z with stock pads
He he told you so, they are great on Elear also. The MX4’s really sing now!

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #639 of 907
Has anyone tried these with the Schiit Ragnarok? I've got a Lyr 2 right now and have really liked the Schiit products I've tried. An Amp or DAC is the next thing that needs upgrading in my system, if my pursuit continues.

I feel like a great amp is probably more important than a great DAC, and I already have 4 (albeit only up to lower-mid level) DACs. The Pro-ject Pre-box S2 is my main DAC because I use Tidal, so MQA compatibility is desired, but my Mojo also gets a good amount of use.

The Ragnarok is catching my eye at the moment as the next natural big step up upgrade. Given how people say it handles/improves IEMs with their low impedance, I imagine it might similarly bump up the MX-4's. Or would the community here say that, given how easy the MX-4's are to drive, it may be better to put that money elsewhere (like a DAC in this case)?

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #641 of 907
Has anyone tried these with the Schiit Ragnarok? I've got a Lyr 2 right now and have really liked the Schiit products I've tried. An Amp or DAC is the next thing that needs upgrading in my system, if my pursuit continues.

I feel like a great amp is probably more important than a great DAC, and I already have 4 (albeit only up to lower-mid level) DACs. The Pro-ject Pre-box S2 is my main DAC because I use Tidal, so MQA compatibility is desired, but my Mojo also gets a good amount of use.

The Ragnarok is catching my eye at the moment as the next natural big step up upgrade. Given how people say it handles/improves IEMs with their low impedance, I imagine it might similarly bump up the MX-4's. Or would the community here say that, given how easy the MX-4's are to drive, it may be better to put that money elsewhere (like a DAC in this case)?

You may already be aware, but just in case, the release of Ragnarok 2 is imminent, so you may want to hold off on purchasing it for now. As far as how it sounds with the MX4, I haven't heard the combo, so unfortunately I can't say :frowning2:

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #643 of 907
hi, lcd mx4 with stock pads were not for me at all. with dekoni pads the mx4 is amazing like literally amazing,when I say amazing I mean in regards to how they transformed with the pads to turn into a really great sounding headphone. Which gave me the wow factor due to the change in sound after adding the dekoni pads

Not to rush you unduly or anything, but if anything in your impressions has changed on this MX4 vs HEKSE comparo front, since the last go-round, I wouldn't mind hearing about it at all. After several months of resistance that eventually proved to be futile, I caved and sent my He-K for the upgrade, and I am waiting for my HeKSE to arrive this week--actually tomorrow, if everything goes well... As you probably remember, I have owned the MX4 before (albeit, about just one month), and I'm also familiar with the house sounds of both the Audeze LCD-4 series and the He-K series, and that is why this particular comparison resonates with me on several levels.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #644 of 907
Not to rush you unduly or anything, but if anything in your impressions has changed on this MX4 vs HEKSE comparo front, since the last go-round, I wouldn't mind hearing about it at all. After several months of resistance that eventually proved to be futile, I caved and sent my He-K for the upgrade, and I am waiting for my HeKSE to arrive this week--actually tomorrow, if everything goes well... As you probably remember, I have owned the MX4 before (albeit, about just one month), and I'm also familiar with the house sounds of both the Audeze LCD-4 series and the He-K series, and that is why this particular comparison resonates with me on several levels.

Both are amazing headphones, for electronic music of course the MX4 will be better. MX4 can do all genres as well and its great with everything. With metal music mx4 sounds better than He1000SE. MX4 is a full sounding headphone and does not lack details like in meze emyprean so it works great with metal music, HE1000SE its leaner sounding and not that suitable for metal music. HE1000SE is amazing with acoustic, indie music, and classical music and in those genres HE1000SE excels over the MX4.

Another comparison comes to my mind with MX4 is with the meze empyrean, MX4 has more fine details in the highs and more detailed mids, but with little less of that atmosphere and sound stage that meze gives which is unlike any headphone I heard.

As for HE1000SE its an amazing headphone, nothing changed from what I mentioned in the SE thread at all, it has its own magic, amazing sound stage, good bass ( different and less of course than MX4 ), great mids ( MX4 more full mids but HE1000Se more detailed ), and amazing amazing details.

On another note, I owned as well the LCD4z, those are just weird sounding, and I do not know how they are considered to be a flagship, sold it immediately, as the MX4 is more balanced and has a safer tuning than LCD4z

Anyway I am selling my MX4 not because I do not like it, but cause I am going now the stax route, after I got my Shure KSE1500 and heard how amazing it is, its tuning and how fast it keeps up with everything in an amazing way that works with literally everything. I made the decision to go the stax route period, I am selling my KSE1500 as I do not like to wear iems, and will hope to get the same tuning like KSE1500 but in a full size headphone that will be end game. I got few days ago a cheap stax system 3170, and I like it, and I know for sure with top end stax models I will be very pleased. So I will take it slow first try stax L700, and then go full totl stax 009s, so expect that I will sell my HE1000SE as well. The beauty of stax they do not release new totl model every Tuesday like some of those planar and dynamic companies, so once you settle on the best you will stay there for quite some time

Finally all my conclusions above are with the Dekoni pads on the MX4

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #645 of 907
You almost never are able to remove the old double sided tape they use to stick them on and so you would need to replace that with new tape but they only send you one set of tape with new pads so you will need to make due with something else. It's a terrible design to be honest.

Quoting an older post because I am having some trouble understanding. Does this mean the set of Dekoni pads comes with only 1 (one) ring of tape even though I need 1 for each earcup (two total)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back