Audeze LCD-MX4
Jul 9, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #361 of 907
Only way to do that is to actually have them, and the only way to have them is to buy them.

Many of us have the option to go to a store to demo them. And if not that, a meet.

Most people considering a purchase at this price point can also afford travel to one of the numerous brick and mortar stores to demo them if there isn’t a local option.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #362 of 907
You need to live in a major city in the US, or possibly Montreal or Toronto. I'm in Canada's capital and can't find any headphone over $1000 to demo.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #363 of 907
You need to live in a major city in the US, or possibly Montreal or Toronto. I'm in Canada's capital and can't find any headphone over $1000 to demo.

Montreal is only a two hour train ride for less than $100 round trip, hardly an insurmountable journey. There are several stores that carry high end headphones downtown.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #366 of 907

Montreal is only a two hour train ride for less than $100 round trip, hardly an insurmountable journey. There are several stores that carry high end headphones downtown.
True, but have you seen their prices? I'd have to demo, then go buy elsewhere. Goes against my moral grain.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #367 of 907
Only way to do that is to actually have them, and the only way to have them is to buy them.

True, but have you seen their prices? I'd have to demo, then go buy elsewhere. Goes against my moral grain.

Kind of feels like you’re moving the goalposts. Your original point was that you had to buy TOTL headphones to listen to them.

Most brick and mortar stores will negotiate price and often will price match. In the long run, isn’t the opportunity to demo a good way to avoid buying and returning headphones where you pay for return shipping and restocking fees?

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #368 of 907
Nothing is worth MSRP in audio... :wink:

Price aside, I do think the MX4 is a noticeable upgrade from the X. It is more refined on every level.

However, I don't think it's up to par w/ the LCD4 given proper amplification.

I could say that in Tech too. Nothing is worth MSRP in tech. There I said it. Hahahaha

Always have your lowest price handy but no store will match a non-authorized dealer price so be sure you’re getting a real price from a real authorized dealer.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 10, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #369 of 907
Kind of feels like you’re moving the goalposts. Your original point was that you had to buy TOTL headphones to listen to them.

Most brick and mortar stores will negotiate price and often will price match. In the long run, isn’t the opportunity to demo a good way to avoid buying and returning headphones where you pay for return shipping and restocking fees?

Yes, unless i take a train trip to Montreal or Toronto or spend it on gas, I have to buy a TOTL to be able to hear it. Your points are valid and demoing is indeed the best way to avoid buying and returning headphones. And there are many online vendors who won't take headphones back because of sanitary reasons. Maybe I'm just soured on the fact that it is much more difficult to hear things now. Local B&M shops won't tie up money in expensive headphones. If you want one, you have to special order it 'sight unseen'.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #370 of 907
Yes, unless i take a train trip to Montreal or Toronto or spend it on gas, I have to buy a TOTL to be able to hear it. Your points are valid and demoing is indeed the best way to avoid buying and returning headphones. And there are many online vendors who won't take headphones back because of sanitary reasons. Maybe I'm just soured on the fact that it is much more difficult to hear things now. Local B&M shops won't tie up money in expensive headphones. If you want one, you have to special order it 'sight unseen'.

Definitely fair/good points.

Something that worked for me in the past before my local shop went heavy into headphones was to ask if they would bring in a headphone I was considering so that I could demo it before buying. If you have a local shop you’ve got some good history with, it might be worth trying, particularly if someone at the B&M is interested in headphones - they like to test drive good gear as much as their customers. Nothing to lose by asking and once they’ve invested their own capital, you’ve probably got some leverage to negotiate a fair price so they can recoup their investment.

As you suggested previously, it wouldn’t be appropriate to do this unless you fully intend to purchase if the product lives up to expectations.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #372 of 907
I have had the chance to listen to the MX4 today at a local shop. It was paired with thr Chord Dave and WA33.
Please do not take my impressions as what you would expect to hear if you were to try it yourself, as with all opinions out there.

Lets start with comfort, well built and comfortable, much better than the hot spot that one might experience with the regular Audeze headband. This level od comfort should be expected of premium headphones. The clamp is rather tight; but no major issues.

In general, not a positive sonic experience.
Bass was relatively well presented,Extended well, reaches deep. There is a mid bass hump that i could hear that could bother people, depending on one's preferences. Bass not was not particularly textured, but no major issues.

Mids were a flop for me, incredibly stifling and conjested.Very forward presentation of mids that gets in the way of enjoying the piece. It had a nasal tonality to it, like the vocalist had a blocked nose or some cloth was draped over speakers. Nils Lofgren's live album made this aspect particularly present. Although nasal, the mids shared similar characteristics with the 4, being buttery smooth, but its unnaturally in-your-face, muffled tonality killed it for me. Some may like agressive, forward mids so have a listen for yourself.

Highs was recessed with the lack of transparency. Cymbals do not shimmer, it decayed too quickly. Horns, violins, drums etc. do not capture the acoustics of the performance. Classical music sounded like it was recorded in a claustrophobic studio, lost were the natural reverberation of a concert hall. Perhaps it was the WA33 that the highs do not perform well.

Dynamics was one of the weakest aspects on this headphone, weak impact, with notes hitting like a pillow.
Being one of my top priorities for choosing headphones, the lack of dynamics hindered the enjoyment of music greatly. Bach's Solo violin tracks were used to assess microdynamics. MX4 was not able to capture small gradations in volume in quiet sections that many dynamic headphones are capable of (HD650 modded, HD800SDR). Macrodynamics were decent, large swings in volume were audible, but no where near HD800 levels. IMO dynamics are make or break for me. Large dynamic range is what differentiates a good recording from a bad one, MP3 from good SACD recordings, monotonous pieces or music that comes alive.

Soundstage was a miss, instruments were Conjested and closed in. ZMF Eikon, a closed headphone, was better able to present space and stage. Imaging was a blur, as with most planars I have heard. HE1000 and Susvara had better imaging capabilities.

Clarity was sub par. I had to dig deep and increase the volume to hear subtle details. People may like the MX4's soft and slick tonal balance, but at this price range, i cannot recommend a headphone with this level of detail retrieval. I had to struggle to hear the feet tapping in The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio's live album, while the ZMF Auteur and HD800 presents detail with ease without having to reach for the volume knob. Intruementalists in jazz quartets making small talk were smeared/inaudible with the MX4.

My short two hour listening session with the MX4 did not engage me. I was eager to get from one test track/album to the next. When I am rushing though tracks, that is when I know that the headphone or *insert gear here* was not the one.

To conclude, some may love the audeze house sound, and do not take these issues i have described a major problem. But to me, MX4 was a fail, and its older brother LCD4 did it better.

Before any MX4 owners flame me, let me say that I am only giving my own view of the headphone, not sugar coat it or rub egos. If you do truly like the MX4, you would'nt feel insecure and lash out. After all, music, as with wine tasting, your own experience matters most.
This is a really well done impression. The most informative and objective one I found here so far. You should do more for other gears.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #373 of 907
Interesting review. I was interested in the LCD-4X because Audeze has been claiming them to be the light-weight version of LCD-X designed for long mixing sessions for engineers; but according to your review, they are anything but accurate. I stopped using my LCD-X since MrSpeakers Ether came out, which have a similar sound signature as the LCD-X but is half the weight and cost less than half of that of the LCD-4X. I will still demo them when they are available here but guess I shouldn’t be expecting too much.

I have had the chance to listen to the MX4 today at a local shop. It was paired with thr Chord Dave and WA33.
Please do not take my impressions as what you would expect to hear if you were to try it yourself, as with all opinions out there.

Lets start with comfort, well built and comfortable, much better than the hot spot that one might experience with the regular Audeze headband. This level od comfort should be expected of premium headphones. The clamp is rather tight; but no major issues.

Bass was relatively well presented,Extended well, reaches deep. There is a mid bass hump that i could hear that could bother people, depending on one's preferences. Bass not was not particularly textured, but no major issues.

Mids were a flop for me, incredibly stifling and conjested.Very forward presentation of mids that gets in the way of enjoying the piece. It had a nasal tonality to it, like the vocalist had a blocked nose or some cloth was draped over speakers. Nils Lofgren's live album made this aspect particularly present. Although nasal, the mids shared similar characteristics with the 4, being buttery smooth, but its unnaturally in-your-face, muffled tonality killed it for me. Some may like agressive, forward mids so have a listen for yourself.

Highs was recessed with the lack of transparency. Cymbals do not shimmer, it decayed too quickly. Horns, violins, drums etc. do not capture the acoustics of the performance. Classical music sounded like it was recorded in a claustrophobic studio, lost were the natural reverberation of a concert hall. Perhaps it was the WA33 that the highs do not perform well.

Dynamics was one of the weakest aspects on this headphone, weak impact, with notes hitting like a pillow.
Being one of my top priorities for choosing headphones, the lack of dynamics hindered the enjoyment of music greatly. Bach's Solo violin tracks were used to assess microdynamics. MX4 was not able to capture small gradations in volume in quiet sections that many dynamic headphones are capable of (HD650 modded, HD800SDR). Macrodynamics were decent, large swings in volume were audible, but no where near HD800 levels. IMO dynamics are make or break for me. Large dynamic range is what differentiates a good recording from a bad one, MP3 from good SACD recordings, monotonous pieces or music that comes alive.

Soundstage was a miss, instruments were Conjested and closed in. ZMF Eikon, a closed headphone, was better able to present space and stage. Imaging was a blur, as with most planars I have heard. HE1000 and Susvara had better imaging capabilities.

Clarity was sub par. I had to dig deep and increase the volume to hear subtle details. People may like the MX4's soft and slick tonal balance, but at this price range, i cannot recommend a headphone with this level of detail retrieval. I had to struggle to hear the feet tapping in The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio's live album, while the ZMF Auteur and HD800 presents detail with ease without having to reach for the volume knob. Intruementalists in jazz quartets making small talk were smeared/inaudible with the MX4.

My short two hour listening session with the MX4 did not engage me. I was eager to get from one test track/album to the next. When I am rushing though tracks, that is when I know that the headphone or *insert gear here* was not the one.

To conclude, some may love the audeze house sound, and do not take these issues i have described a major problem. But to me, MX4 was a fail, and its older brother LCD4 did it better.

Before any MX4 owners flame me, let me say that I am only giving my own view of the headphone, not sugar coat it or rub egos. If you do truly like the MX4, you would'nt feel insecure and lash out. After all, music, as with wine tasting, your own experience matters most.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #374 of 907

I do agree on a lot of points and appreciate a lot for being transparent.

I do also have this and prefer other HP on the same price point.
Imho, it does have a big soundstage relatively to Audeze lineup. Audeze is known for its big sounding forward midrange. In comparison to other Audeze line up, 2, 3, 3f, 4 and X, the mids on these are less thick but has a slight lift. It is neutral and dark to me.
Mids are are still warmish but to me again in comparison to the mentioned above isn't congesting. It is still the center of the presentation but not solid enough on the instruments.
Bass is there and felt, soft and lacked the impact but a little more resolved compared to X.

Highs have nice presence and some extension but lack some spark.

It becomes crowded on complex passages and not able able to keep up with the pace. So instrument separation isn't that of a highlight on this headphone for me. These aren't aggressive sounding but relaxed. Dynamics are just ok but not as engaging for me.

Cable rolling would improve the performance of the MX4. I happen to use the 4's stock cable and prefer it over MX4 stock cable.

I'd say they are good for genres that aren't fast paced and not much clash of instruments. For what its worth, it's easy to drive feature works well even on a smartphone alone.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #375 of 907
You know, I found a little golden gem that really works well with Audeze LCD-MX4 as well as other Audeze Headphones :)

With 4W of power, it should even drive LCD-4 fairly well :)

It is named Burson Play

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_2.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_3.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_4.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_9.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_42.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back