Audeze LCD-MX4
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #376 of 907
Despite the mixed reviews, I am super-excited to have a pair of these incoming later this week to replace my LCD-X headphones. The LCD-X’s were my first real high-end headphone and ultimately the catalyst that drove me into this hobby in a serious way. I hope the MX4’s can do the LCD-X sound better and with less weight and I can’t see how the MX4 will not be a great match for my V281 much as the LCD-X’s are. (I do not have high hopes for my them with my tube amp given their low impedance). That said, I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger if I hadn’t gotten them for an absurdly good price. I think part of the problem with the MX4 is that they’re overpriced for the audiophile market. If you have three grand to buy them new, odds are you’ve already sunk a few thousand bucks into equipment to maximize your headphone setup, at which point it seems like these are not the cans to get the best out of said setup. Also, without the reputation of the LCD-4, or even the HE1000V2’s, it’s harder to pull the trigger on a lesser-known item for that price. Plus the resale value for these is pretty low from what I’ve seen. If you’re buying them second-hand, they are usually offered at prices within a few hundred bucks of used LCD-4’s, and at that point you might as well save your pennies and get the endgame headphone, or take that same amount of money and get a cheaper headphone and upgrade your equipment. Maybe studio pros are buying these in vast numbers for their easy matchability, but I’d bet these will see a steep discount come Black Friday time to get more of them on the market. Anyway, being an LCD-X fan I think I’ll really like these... that is until it’s time for that final upgrade to the LCD4’s!

Sep 25, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #379 of 907
Been reading the forums for awhile, but first post here.

After reading reviews and all posts in this thread (at least twice), I pulled the trigger and bought the LCD-MX4. It set me back 2550 EUR on Amazon.de. The unit was sold by Audeze LLC and fulfilled by Amazon from a UK location based on the tracking. 6 days later, here I am with the MX4 on my head.

Initial impressions (from a neophyte, for what it's worth): 1) superb sound - my point of comparison is the HD600; to my non-expert ears, this already sounds like a higher level of satisfaction while keeping that clarity I love 2) great comfort - after a couple of hours I almost forgot I had them on.

I do have a couple of (odd) questions for the community: Seeing that Audeze offers a 30-day free trial, I wanted to confirm that this unit is brand new. Audeze LLC responded that they are. I opened the box with great care to ensure everything looks brand new. It did, except one of the earpads (left) was sitting partially in the other, although the tubular foam piece was still in between the two earpads. I didn't think much of it and the left earpad regained its full shape shortly thereafter. But in scanning multiple unboxing videos of LCD units on YouTube, only one showed the earpads in the same position as mine were (https://www . youtube . com/watch?v=hUkMagnrLW0 - see at 2:12 - mine were exactly like that). The other 10+ videos showed the earpads sitting nicely flat one against the other (including both MX4 unboxing videos available). A second element to mention is that in the inside part (ear side) of the earpads the leather looks a bit - maybe quite a bit wrinkled. Not having owned leather earpads before, this seemed a normal new leather condition to me, but in at least one of the unboxing videos the leather looks less wrinkled. Everything else suggested brand new.

Questions:

1) What does Audeze do with their returned trial units?
2) Should I worry that my unit was used before? Apologies if it seems trivial, but 2550 EUR is a material amount to me and I would like to know that I have a brand new unit.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #380 of 907
Been reading the forums for awhile, but first post here.

After reading reviews and all posts in this thread (at least twice), I pulled the trigger and bought the LCD-MX4. It set me back 2550 EUR on Amazon.de. The unit was old by Audeze LLC and fulfilled by Amazon from a UK location based on the tracking. 6 days later, here I am with the MX4 on my head.

Initial impressions (from a neophyte, for what it's worth): 1) superb sound - my point of comparison is the HD600; to my non-expert ears, this already sounds like a higher level of satisfaction while keeping that clarity I love 2) great comfort - after a couple of hours I almost forgot I had them on.

I do have a couple of (odd) questions for the community: Seeing that Audeze offers a 30-day free trial, I wanted to confirm that this unit is brand new. Audeze LLC responded that they are. I opened the box with great care to ensure everything looks brand new. It did, except one of the earpads (left) was sitting partially in the other, although the tubular foam piece was still in between the two earpads. I didn't think much of it and the left earpad regained its full shape shortly thereafter. But in scanning multiple unboxing videos of LCD units on YouTube, only one showed the earpads in the same position as mine were (https://www . youtube . com/watch?v=hUkMagnrLW0 - see at 2:12 - mine were exactly like that). The other 10+ videos showed the earpads sitting nicely flat one against the other (including both MX4 unboxing videos available). A second element to mention is that in the inside part (ear side) of the earpads the leather looks a bit - maybe quite a bit wrinkled. Not having owned leather earpads before, this seemed a normal new leather condition to me, but in at least one of the unboxing videos the leather looks less wrinkled. Everything else suggested brand new.

Questions:

1) What does Audeze do with their returned trial units?
2) Should I worry that my unit was used before? Apologies if it seems trivial, but 2550 EUR is a material amount to me and I would like to know that I have a brand new unit.

Thanks!

Send an email to tony@audeze.com with your serial number. His day is over but he’ll respond early tomorrow with a serial number background for you

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #381 of 907
Despite the mixed reviews, I am super-excited to have a pair of these incoming later this week to replace my LCD-X headphones. The LCD-X’s were my first real high-end headphone and ultimately the catalyst that drove me into this hobby in a serious way. I hope the MX4’s can do the LCD-X sound better and with less weight and I can’t see how the MX4 will not be a great match for my V281 much as the LCD-X’s are.

Hi Malcolm, may I ask what your first impressions are? I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoy the sound, but I don't have the LCD-X prior experience to compare to...

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #382 of 907
I just noticed that my LCD-MX4s came with an Audeze branded (on the part before the v-split) Rean cable (Rean appears on the connectors).

It looks like this but all black, and I am sure not worth 600 USD: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcd4-premium-braided-cable-single-ended.

Every picture or unboxing video I see of the LCD-MX4s has them coming with a different cable that has these small, black, plastic push pins to unhook the connectors and no Rean branding. I have those on my LCD-2CBs. Any idea why my own MX4 unit would have come with this different cable? It is much, much more difficult to remove, but just as easier as the other one to insert.

In fact, here is what it looks like:

IMG_6188.JPGIMG_6189.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #383 of 907
Finally got my "me time" to bring MX4 home. As a little background story, I am a person who always loves LCD-X sound but never capable to handle its weight on my head (not painful, but still annoying).

Have tried it few times, but now is my first exclusive time to use it for hours (in fact now typing while enjoying MX4), my initial impression:
- Easily better comfort compare to LCD-4
- Super easy to drive(!)
- Forgiving to any kind of recording (at least in my songs selection)
- Tonality is still Audeze house sound (which is good news), without any overly sweet or melow sound like LCD-3
- Treble has good extension, but presentation is smooth without any peak
- Midrange is in the middle position, not too forward nor laidback.
- Bass body great for music's foundation, and never bleeding into midrange at all
- Kind of headphone that if you analyze its sound element per element, it may not be a champ, but once you listen it as the whole sound, it simply beautiful!
- Personally, the sound character "match" my preference very much, which bring realism to sound without create any fatigue to my ears
- Great for vocal (both male and female), guitar, and drum set. Not so much for piano and choir (Focal Utopia is definitely better in these regards).

Will take photo of this beauty beast tomorrow!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #384 of 907
@TheMiddleSky Nice little summary and especially the comparisons with the other LCDs. I've had my MX4 since September and this sound is, as you said, simply beautiful, an amazing experience. Good to hear that those who have tried other high-end HPs agree.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #385 of 907
@TheMiddleSky Nice little summary and especially the comparisons with the other LCDs. I've had my MX4 since September and this sound is, as you said, simply beautiful, an amazing experience. Good to hear that those who have tried other high-end HPs agree.

Thanks a lot man!

Even compared to many high end headphones, I still find that MX4 offer one of the most natural sound out there.

Of course I also understand that "natural sound" could be subjective for each person though.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #386 of 907
I've been perusing this thread for sometime now and when I saw the new price point for the LCD-MX4
I fell victim and pulled the trigger - 50 percent off - gotta try it.

1499.00 new!! - what am I gonna do - never tried an Audeze but am loving the Aeon flow open so much I needed another Planar.

Was going back and forth through the LCD-X and LCD-2 threads thinking and comparing with the LCD-MX4 and struggling. I will try this out and if it's not the flavor for me, I can send it back.

One thing I was puzzled with is if this is so easy to drive, I just wish it came standard with the smaller plug for the DAP application but this is not a show stopper.

I appreciate the information you folks have provided me with but most reviews I've seen are taking into account the 3K price and well - this will not be a factor. I'm getting these for about what I paid for my HD800 and my Sony Z1Rs so we'll see.

I really think it pays to hold off a bit and let the prices settle down.

Prices sure gone crazy.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #387 of 907
I've been perusing this thread for sometime now and when I saw the new price point for the LCD-MX4

1499.00 new!! - what am I gonna do - never tried an Audeze but am loving the Aeon flow open so much I needed another Planar.

Was going back and forth through the LCD-X and LCD-2 threads thinking and comparing with the LCD-MX4 and struggling. I will try this out and if it's not the flavor for me, I can send it back.

One thing I was puzzled with is if this is so easy to drive, I just wish it came standard with the smaller plug for the DAP application but this is not a show stopper.

I appreciate the information you folks have provided me with but most reviews I've seen are taking into account the 3K price and well - this will not be a factor. I'm getting these for about what I paid for my HD800 and my Sony Z1Rs so we'll see.

Prices sure gone crazy.

Is this a new, unchanging MSRP?

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #388 of 907

Prices sure gone crazy.
were on earth is the mx4 sold for 1500 usd for a new unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back