Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 3, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #3,766 of 4,795
the i4 is not a typical IEM...it is really a miniature LCD-4 and as such needs a top notch source and amp...anything less will render it far less impressive...

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #3,767 of 4,795
In the post you referenced, he is talking about the power needed to drive the i4s at appropriate levels. He is right. The i4s are not hard to drive to very loud levels.

When we talk about driving power for the i4s we should specify that we aren't talking about levels. The power we are after is not about "loud" but quality. More capable power delivery is able to provide greater dynamics, authority, detail, staging, ease, flow, etc. and less noise.
Thank you and sorry for asking a noob question, in terms of specs of a DAP/DAC/AMP what should we be looking at in terms of power that's minimum for i4? And does it has anything to do with Hi and Low gain?

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #3,768 of 4,795
I know this may not be helpful, but I don't think power specs are really going to help you out that much. It's true, the i4s are not your typical IEM and really scale wonderfully with better gear. However, they are far from hard to drive full size phones like an Abyss. Any of the popular offerings that you find here will do just fine in terms of being able to drive the i4s adequately.

Again, it's about the quality of power and, for that, the best approach is to read reviews and hear for yourself.

As to Hi and Low gain, you want to use the lowest gain that drives your phones well to keep noise down. For desktop gear, it's easy, as it will almost always mean the low gain setting. For portable, you will have to try both settings and see which sounds better to you.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,769 of 4,795
Hello all, I have a question which I posted on the i3 thread, but I figured someone with the i4 might be ale to answer as the question relates to the cipher BT module. I've noticed when using it there is some crackling noise at certain frequencies, especially around 7.5khz and 13khz. This completely disappears when using my external DAC/Amp.

Any idea what causes this? is it to do with driving power? Bluetooth quality? (I use aptX from a MacBook, I don't have any aptX HD or LDAC capable devices. Any insight would be appreciated.

Alex

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,770 of 4,795
Hello all, I have a question which I posted on the i3 thread, but I figured someone with the i4 might be ale to answer as the question relates to the cipher BT module. I've noticed when using it there is some crackling noise at certain frequencies, especially around 7.5khz and 13khz. This completely disappears when using my external DAC/Amp.

Any idea what causes this? is it to do with driving power? Bluetooth quality? (I use aptX from a MacBook, I don't have any aptX HD or LDAC capable devices. Any insight would be appreciated.

Alex
After some testing this doesn't happen when connected to my iPhone, so NOT a cipher issue. Will have to figure out why my laptop is making this noise happen.

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #3,771 of 4,795
This is a problem with the Bluetooth Cipher's tuning. it does the exact thing for me between the Bluetooth cipher and the Lightning cable.

lightening better. Gives better pinna gain adjustment than the Bluetooth cipher.

I remember even Crinacle put a FR graph between the Bluetooth and lightening showing the difference (on discord)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,772 of 4,795
This is a problem with the Bluetooth Cipher's tuning. it does the exact thing for me between the Bluetooth cipher and the Lightning cable.

lightening better. Gives better pinna gain adjustment than the Bluetooth cipher.

I remember even Crinacle put a FR graph between the Bluetooth and lightening showing the difference (on discord)

Interesting, thanks for your input.

After more testing, I managed to fix the issue by changing the BT codec on my laptop back to AAC from aptX. Impossible to tell what the issue is, but it seems aptX doesn't play nice with the BT module, whether it's an issue with the module or my device is unclear.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #3,773 of 4,795
Audeze Euclid, first closed-back planar magnetic in-ear.
The miniaturized 18mm single planar magnetic driver has no crossovers, resulting in superior cohesion across the entire frequency spectrum. Euclid boasts an incredible 105 dB/mW efficiency and a max SPL well over 120dB, giving it the highest dynamic range of any in-ear in its size category.
Will be very interesting to compare new Euclid with LCDi4, Euclid use Uniforce™ voice coils as iSine 20

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,774 of 4,795
Audeze Euclid, first closed-back planar magnetic in-ear.
The miniaturized 18mm single planar magnetic driver has no crossovers, resulting in superior cohesion across the entire frequency spectrum. Euclid boasts an incredible 105 dB/mW efficiency and a max SPL well over 120dB, giving it the highest dynamic range of any in-ear in its size category.
Will be very interesting to compare new Euclid with LCDi4, Euclid use Uniforce™ voice coils as iSine 20

Thanks for this! Question would be does it need EQ or cipher cable to have the correct tonality?

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,775 of 4,795
It has only 4.4mm balanced cables and Bluetooth , so I hope it doesn't need EQ

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #3,776 of 4,795
Thanks for this! Question would be does it need EQ or cipher cable to have the correct tonality?

looks like tonality wise it needs EQ from the reviews coming after the embargo lift. Especially for raising the treble.

And possibly a small increase to the intimacy, targeting the scoop between 2khz-4khz so it's less speaker like.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #3,777 of 4,795
With all the discussions on having the proper EQ setting, having cypher cable converted, etc. Why not change the source files?

Not sure if this has been suggested, but what I did was to get a copy of dbPoweramp, I believe it is going for around $88. DbPoweramp has batch conversion and support vst. You can load the Audeze Reveal plugin and apply the relevant setting to the converted files. Did it with iSine10 and 20, and now with LCDi4 with great result.

This way by changing the source, you can use whatever DAP you like, use whatever fancy cable you want. You can evaluate equipment better as well since you will take out the guess work of how EQ/PEQ is implemented by different manufacturers, and just concentrate on their technical merits.

dbPoweramp has a trial I believe, so you can give it a try. Btw, I am not affiliated with dbPoweramp.

Looking for someone who has accomplished this. I downloaded the trial and I am lost.

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #3,778 of 4,795
Enjoying the LCDi4 with tubes, an exquisite combination.
JPEG image-D0CC794556F4-1.jpeg
Hello I am receiving my LCD-i4 today and exploring all options for portable amplification. What DAP or amp is this please? Is it really "with tubes"?

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #3,779 of 4,795
Hello I am receiving my LCD-i4 today and exploring all options for portable amplification. What DAP or amp is this please? Is it really "with tubes"?

Nice..

This is pretty good.. Although I have nothing to compare it against.

M15 and custom balanced cable by Ted Allen.

20210216_113957.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,780 of 4,795
Cayin N8

it has tube / solid state options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back