Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
post-16081655
Post #3,766 of 3,772

jlbrach

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
the i4 is not a typical IEM...it is really a miniature LCD-4 and as such needs a top notch source and amp...anything less will render it far less impressive...

Reactions: Junmoe62
post-16081692
Post #3,767 of 3,772

Lokiiami

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
In the post you referenced, he is talking about the power needed to drive the i4s at appropriate levels. He is right. The i4s are not hard to drive to very loud levels.

When we talk about driving power for the i4s we should specify that we aren't talking about levels. The power we are after is not about "loud" but quality. More capable power delivery is able to provide greater dynamics, authority, detail, staging, ease, flow, etc. and less noise.
Thank you and sorry for asking a noob question, in terms of specs of a DAP/DAC/AMP what should we be looking at in terms of power that's minimum for i4? And does it has anything to do with Hi and Low gain?

post-16082021
Post #3,768 of 3,772

edwardsean

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I know this may not be helpful, but I don't think power specs are really going to help you out that much. It's true, the i4s are not your typical IEM and really scale wonderfully with better gear. However, they are far from hard to drive full size phones like an Abyss. Any of the popular offerings that you find here will do just fine in terms of being able to drive the i4s adequately.

Again, it's about the quality of power and, for that, the best approach is to read reviews and hear for yourself.

As to Hi and Low gain, you want to use the lowest gain that drives your phones well to keep noise down. For desktop gear, it's easy, as it will almost always mean the low gain setting. For portable, you will have to try both settings and see which sounds better to you.

Last edited:
post-16127244
Post #3,769 of 3,772

4lx

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question which I posted on the i3 thread, but I figured someone with the i4 might be ale to answer as the question relates to the cipher BT module. I've noticed when using it there is some crackling noise at certain frequencies, especially around 7.5khz and 13khz. This completely disappears when using my external DAC/Amp.

Any idea what causes this? is it to do with driving power? Bluetooth quality? (I use aptX from a MacBook, I don't have any aptX HD or LDAC capable devices. Any insight would be appreciated.

Alex

post-16127521
Post #3,770 of 3,772

4lx

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question which I posted on the i3 thread, but I figured someone with the i4 might be ale to answer as the question relates to the cipher BT module. I've noticed when using it there is some crackling noise at certain frequencies, especially around 7.5khz and 13khz. This completely disappears when using my external DAC/Amp.

Any idea what causes this? is it to do with driving power? Bluetooth quality? (I use aptX from a MacBook, I don't have any aptX HD or LDAC capable devices. Any insight would be appreciated.

Alex
After some testing this doesn't happen when connected to my iPhone, so NOT a cipher issue. Will have to figure out why my laptop is making this noise happen.

post-16127808
Post #3,771 of 3,772

Infoseeker

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Michigan, Detroit Metro Area (currently in Qatar)
Michigan, Detroit Metro Area (currently in Qatar)
This is a problem with the Bluetooth Cipher's tuning. it does the exact thing for me between the Bluetooth cipher and the Lightning cable.

lightening better. Gives better pinna gain adjustment than the Bluetooth cipher.

I remember even Crinacle put a FR graph between the Bluetooth and lightening showing the difference (on discord)

Last edited:
post-16128909
Post #3,772 of 3,772

4lx

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is a problem with the Bluetooth Cipher's tuning. it does the exact thing for me between the Bluetooth cipher and the Lightning cable.

lightening better. Gives better pinna gain adjustment than the Bluetooth cipher.

I remember even Crinacle put a FR graph between the Bluetooth and lightening showing the difference (on discord)
Interesting, thanks for your input.

After more testing, I managed to fix the issue by changing the BT codec on my laptop back to AAC from aptX. Impossible to tell what the issue is, but it seems aptX doesn't play nice with the BT module, whether it's an issue with the module or my device is unclear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)