Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,796 of 4,796
I hope someone can give me some DAP advice. I’ve had the LCDi4 for a few years and use them exclusively with the cipher cable and the Audeze EQ programme on my iPhone. I really enjoy this setup but I keep wondering how the lcdi4 would sound with a more powerful amp and 10 band parametric equaliser to mimic Audeze’s Reveal plugin and as far as I understand there are no parametric eq apps that work on iOS. I‘ve read up a bit on DAPs but I haven’t been able to clarify which ones for certain have parametric eq functions, whether all DAP parametric eq are of the same quality (I’ve come across some comments about A&K peq being broken?) and whether or not those parametric equalisers work with the downloaded Qobuz app (my only music source) whether in APK form or from the PlayStore depending on the DAP.. Although cost isn’t a problem would I actually hear a significant improvement with a quality DAP and my LCDi4? Is there a way to simply connect a DAP to my Hugo2 and would the parametric equaliser still work with that setup? I have no other use for a DAP other than use at home to eq my LCDi4 with a more powerful DAC/AMP than the Cipher cable so the improvement would have to be worth it over my current setup. I’ve looked into Roon and Audirvana to run on my desktop but that solution don’t interest me as I’d need to get a 2go to work with my Hugo2 and the 2go seems to have its challenges. I have considered getting a MacBook Air to run Roon to connect via usb to the Hugo2 as an alternative to a DAP but a DAP seems like the more elegant solution if it would deliver a significant improvement. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,797 of 4,796
I looked for quite a while to see if I could find a DAP that had good EQ that would work with streaming Tidal or Qobuz. I wasn't able to find a solution that worked for me. I did see a couple things about some system wide EQ solutions, but as I recall they required rooting Android and I didn't want to do that. I've also seen that Universal Audio Player Pro supports Tidal and Qobuz, and as well has very good EQ. But, for me the main use of a DAP is travel, so streaming wasn't really important on a DAP.

I ended up with an iBasso DX220, which has good EQ built in. I did install UAPP and that works quite well, but I prefer the UI of the built in software. I also have a HiBy DAP, the MSEB equalization didn't work for me to adjust to a specific EQ curve. I did look at numerous other DAPs, but PMEQ and good reviews narrowed my choice to the iBasso.

For home use I'm sold on Roon, the Audeze integration is great. I have a dedicated DAC and amp, though I can use my iBasso as a endpoint for Roon via USB. When using a DAP with Roon the DSP is done in Roon, quality of EQ on the DAP isn't a concern. However, iBasso does not charge from the USB connection when using as a DAC, which is really unfortunate and is basically unusable for me. Other DAPs may not have this limitation.

From what I've read, the Hugo2 is really perfect for the i4s, if it were me I'd use a Roon set up to drive the Hugo2. For me only real reason to have a DAP is travel, with a consideration that if I'm limited to 1 DAC/AMP device I'd try to find a DAP that works for both home and travel.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #3,798 of 4,796
I can EQ the lcd i4 off a Qudelix 5k lossless bluetooth tranceiver for an improvement over the cipher cable. (Well lossless over Android with LDAC) (can also be used wired-mode for lossless on Apple)

It has 10 band parametric EQ , and 240mw @32 power for the lcd-i4 planar (and 4vrms for getting dynamic headphones loud). Which should be a significant upgrade for the lcd i4 use case scenario.

But you need to buy a 2.5mm ended 0.78mm 2-pin cable. (A cable that has small profile 2pins that can fit passed the proprietary notch on the 2pin.) [Extreme example Superbax cable, normal example OEAudio 2DualCPS cables or a Moondrop PCC Coaxial OCC IEM Upgrade Cable]

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,799 of 4,796
Contrary to recent posts I don’t find the i4 needs EQ at all. I play it fine with all my sources, including the Hugo2, without feeling like I’m missing anything. For those that insist that EQ is required I would applaud you for tailoring the sound to your personal preference, but that’s not to say that the i4 isn’t immensely enjoyable for others without EQ.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,800 of 4,796
Contrary to recent posts I don’t find the i4 needs EQ at all. I play it fine with all my sources, including the Hugo2, without feeling like I’m missing anything. For those that insist that EQ is required I would applaud you for tailoring the sound to your personal preference, but that’s not to say that the i4 isn’t immensely enjoyable for others without EQ.

I would also applaud you for being able to enjoy them without EQ :relaxed: it shows us that we do hear things differently, but to my ears, i4’s tonality is one of the worst without EQ.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,801 of 4,796
I looked for quite a while to see if I could find a DAP that had good EQ that would work with streaming Tidal or Qobuz. I wasn't able to find a solution that worked for me. I did see a couple things about some system wide EQ solutions, but as I recall they required rooting Android and I didn't want to do that. I've also seen that Universal Audio Player Pro supports Tidal and Qobuz, and as well has very good EQ. But, for me the main use of a DAP is travel, so streaming wasn't really important on a DAP.

I ended up with an iBasso DX220, which has good EQ built in. I did install UAPP and that works quite well, but I prefer the UI of the built in software. I also have a HiBy DAP, the MSEB equalization didn't work for me to adjust to a specific EQ curve. I did look at numerous other DAPs, but PMEQ and good reviews narrowed my choice to the iBasso.

For home use I'm sold on Roon, the Audeze integration is great. I have a dedicated DAC and amp, though I can use my iBasso as a endpoint for Roon via USB. When using a DAP with Roon the DSP is done in Roon, quality of EQ on the DAP isn't a concern. However, iBasso does not charge from the USB connection when using as a DAC, which is really unfortunate and is basically unusable for me. Other DAPs may not have this limitation.

From what I've read, the Hugo2 is really perfect for the i4s, if it were me I'd use a Roon set up to drive the Hugo2. For me only real reason to have a DAP is travel, with a consideration that if I'm limited to 1 DAC/AMP device I'd try to find a DAP that works for both home and travel.
Thanks that’s really useful about DAPs and EQ. I do sometimes connect my LCDi4 directly to my Hugo2 but it doesn’t satisfy me which is why I’m trying to figure out an elegant solution to EQ them through my H2. It sounds like DAPs won’t easily work and Roon and a MacBook Air to usb out to H2 is an option.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #3,802 of 4,796
I can EQ the lcd i4 off a Qudelix 5k lossless bluetooth tranceiver for an improvement over the cipher cable. (Well lossless over Android with LDAC) (can also be used wired-mode for lossless on Apple)

It has 10 band parametric EQ , and 240mw @32 power for the lcd-i4 planar (and 4vrms for getting dynamic headphones loud). Which should be a significant upgrade for the lcd i4 use case scenario.

But you need to buy a 2.5mm ended 0.78mm 2-pin cable. (A cable that has small profile 2pins that can fit passed the proprietary notch on the 2pin.) [Extreme example Superbax cable, normal example OEAudio 2DualCPS cables or a Moondrop PCC Coaxial OCC IEM Upgrade Cable]
I’m looking into this. Shame iOS doesn’t do LDAC but wired mode is an option If it would work from my iOS devices. Thanks.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #3,803 of 4,796
I’ve read reviews which express this opinion. I wish I felt the same way, it would simplify things for me but I prefer my cipher cable to the H2. Once I start listening to music with cipher I can get easily lost in the music and the whole thing becomes academic. And then at some point the audiophile part of me asks the I wonder if question and I find myself slipping down the rabbit hole. This is such a strange hobby.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #3,804 of 4,796
Thanks that’s really useful about DAPs and EQ. I do sometimes connect my LCDi4 directly to my Hugo2 but it doesn’t satisfy me which is why I’m trying to figure out an elegant solution to EQ them through my H2. It sounds like DAPs won’t easily work and Roon and a MacBook Air to usb out to H2 is an option.
Oh, and I forgot I have seen mentioned some system wide Mac (and PC) EQ options. I didn't look too deeply as I wanted a playback solution that integrated my library and streaming services. Which is what lead me to Roon, after going through a bunch, including Audirvana. You may find you don't need Roon if you use Qobuz exclusively.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,805 of 4,796
Oh, and I forgot I have seen mentioned some system wide Mac (and PC) EQ options. I didn't look too deeply as I wanted a playback solution that integrated my library and streaming services. Which is what lead me to Roon, after going through a bunch, including Audirvana. You may find you don't need Roon if you use Qobuz exclusively.
Thanks, You reminded me that I had found a rogue amoeba Mac programme called Sound Source which has system wide EQ and takes audio units so I guess will work with Reveal plugin. I haven’t looked into it deeply but its a lot cheaper than Roon which I only need for its EQ function. Rogue Amoeba make top quality software with a focus on audio on Macs. Tonight’s research...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,806 of 4,796
Thanks, You reminded me that I had found a rogue amoeba Mac programme called Sound Source which has system wide EQ and takes audio units so I guess will work with Reveal plugin. I haven’t looked into it deeply but its a lot cheaper than Roon which I only need for its EQ function. Rogue Amoeba make top quality software with a focus on audio on Macs. Tonight’s research...

So USB Audio Pro Player (UAPP) which is available on Android will allow you to use Parametric EQ on most Android DAPs (A & K DAPs don’t allow for UAPP). UAPP supports lossless streaming for both Qobuz and Tidal however if you use DSP/EQ I don’t think it is bit perfect. You can buy an inexpensive Android DAP (from iBasso, Hiby or FIio) to use as a hi res transport to your Hugo 2 DAC. I use UAPP to stream Qobuz to my LCDi4 with EQ and it works great.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #3,807 of 4,796
For Mac users I researched Sound Source linked above and its very powerful. First it allows you to apply sound settings either system wide or for any app including Qobuz, Tidal (just sold to Square), Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, etc. Secondly it has a built in 10 band equaliser (not parametric) and lastly it allows loading of VST and AU plugins (Reveal) as well as free and paid for 3rd party parametric equalisers. Sound Source cost $47. I also found a free way to install a system wide parametric equaliser: https://imgur.com/a/YDsQqoo

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,808 of 4,796
So USB Audio Pro Player (UAPP) which is available on Android will allow you to use Parametric EQ on most Android DAPs (A & K DAPs don’t allow for UAPP). UAPP supports lossless streaming for both Qobuz and Tidal however if you use DSP/EQ I don’t think it is bit perfect. You can buy an inexpensive Android DAP (from iBasso, Hiby or FIio) to use as a hi res transport to your Hugo 2 DAC. I use UAPP to stream Qobuz to my LCDi4 with EQ and it works great.
Are you saying that using UAPP you use the DAPs built in Parametric EQ or is there a UAPP PEQ which isn’t mentioned on the website? I’m not even sure what the implications of not bit perfect are, is it mostly theoretical or does one actually hear the non-bit perfectness (excuse my ignorance). I looked at the website and your set up certainly sounds interesting and low cost.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,809 of 4,796
Are you saying that using UAPP you use the DAPs built in Parametric EQ or is there a UAPP PEQ which isn’t mentioned on the website? I’m not even sure what the implications of not bit perfect are, is it mostly theoretical or does one actually hear the non-bit perfectness (excuse my ignorance). I looked at the website and your set up certainly sounds interesting and low cost.
PEQ is built into UAPP along with Tidal and Qobuz integration. I can’t tell the difference between bit perfect and not with EQ.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #3,810 of 4,796
I have since gotten ahold of some silver from Trevor with balanced connection to run out of the GSX Mini amp. OMG that combo rocks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back