Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #3,151 of 4,796
Cipher cable corrects the frequency response, so that instruments and vocals start sounding correct and nice. But aspects like bass slam, stage depth and layering don’t stand out. i4’s full potential gets unleashed, when connected to a desktop system with the Reveal plugin applied. Bass can slam almost like a full-size headphone. Even a Hugo 2 gets you there only half way. Add in a good desktop amp in the chain and you will be amazed at what the i4 can do.

Oh, that explains a lot to me then. icic. I will need to get a more powerful Amp.

The layering and seperation are too forgiving to me. Though the vynl filter/compression I have activated helps a lot at that front.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #3,152 of 4,796
Oh, that explains a lot to me then. icic. I will need to get a more powerful Amp.

The layering and seperation are too forgiving to me. Though the vynl filter/compression I have activated helps a lot at that front.

Not necessarily a more powerful amp. It really depends on the voicing and performance of the amp. I have heard the i4 out of amps that only outputs half the max power of Hugo2, but still kick like a mule. Also, don’t ask on the amp threads on headfi. Every thread will say their amp punches hard. If possible try to demo some amps. Or find people who have tried many amps and ask for their feedback. Our friend @lithiumnk here has tried many desktop amps.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #3,153 of 4,796
+1 on using cipher cable.
I don't even try using my N6ii DAP since cipher+iphone11pro does wonders with the lcdi4.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #3,154 of 4,796
+1 on using cipher cable.
I don't even try using my N6ii DAP since cipher+iphone11pro does wonders with the lcdi4.

I wonder if the cipher cable works with these used Ipod Touches I am seeing in my local classifieds.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #3,155 of 4,796
I wonder if the cipher cable works with these used Ipod Touches I am seeing in my local classifieds.
If they’re newer versions that have lightning port then they should work.

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,156 of 4,796
I used it with my iPod touch 6th gen and the sound is fantastic with cipher cable.

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3,158 of 4,796
So far my iPod touch 7th gen with cipher sounds best. Tried the lcd-i4 with my smsl vmv d1 DAC and thx 887. Was alright.... either I need more break in or the cipher is just that good

If without cipher, you need to EQ or use Reveal plugin to have the correct frequency response. I EQ my WM1Z or use Reveal on my desktop setup.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #3,159 of 4,796
One bit of advice I'd give with using the desktop setup with the Reveal plugin is to turn the Reveal gain setting down by anywhere from 3db-9db.
I've noticed that keeping the Reveal gain setting at 0 can sometimes introduce digital clipping into the sound (test track: "I can't stand it" by Wilco - about 1:13 into the song).

I've never come across the digital clipping using Reveal on any other Audeze headphones (I currently own the LCD3 and LCD2CB, used to own and use it on the LCD2).
I noticed it on the LCDi4 on several songs, but most noticeably the Wilco track above. @KMann suggested to reduce the Reveal gain and compensate by turning up the volume on the amp which seemed to work.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,160 of 4,796
So far my iPod touch 7th gen with cipher sounds best. Tried the lcd-i4 with my smsl vmv d1 DAC and thx 887. Was alright.... either I need more break in or the cipher is just that good
Had LCDi4 for about 5mo. I appreciated the FR of the cipher, but always felt like it was a bit lacking in detail retrieval, etc. Felt a little held back vs something like a Mojo or xDSD. Purchased Monolith portable DAC Amp with it's 3band parametric eq plus high and low shelf eq, and was able to dial in fantastic curve that takes these to the ultimate level as a portable, IMO.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #3,161 of 4,796
I appreciate all the help from everyone this far! It’s helped me out a bunch! Didn’t get much time today for more listening, but did notice that on amazon prime HD , my Bluetooth cipher registers as being 24bit/44.1 capable. But for some reason maxes out at 16/44.1 when playing the 24/48 and up high res tracks. I’ve never seen any of my dacs be capable of a bit rate and not play at that max bit rate. The 24/44.1 play with no issue, just doesn’t seem to downscale from 24/96 or 24/48 to 24/44.1 like other dacs do.

Hard wired cipher plays the same tracks no issues down scaling to max bit rate. Bluetooth cipher is the only one having issues.

also bt cipher doesn’t seem to work with the iOS app :/

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #3,162 of 4,796

I have shared my impressions with portable & desktop amps here: Post #2993
Lcdi4 scales very well with desktop/quality source/amp. Cipher cable tonality is spot on but lacks behind in other areas.
Lately(after acquiring hpa4), I have realised that source(DAC/streamer/clocks etc.) matter much more. If the amplifier is neutral, transparent it will just amplify the upstream signal. So, the source matter a lot. Many times we forget to take the DAC output into account & how the signal is coming to amplifier.This leads to wrong judgment of the amp. In short, the entire chain should be in sync for best results.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #3,164 of 4,796
One bit of advice I'd give with using the desktop setup with the Reveal plugin is to turn the Reveal gain setting down by anywhere from 3db-9db.
I've noticed that keeping the Reveal gain setting at 0 can sometimes introduce digital clipping into the sound (test track: "I can't stand it" by Wilco - about 1:13 into the song).

I've never come across the digital clipping using Reveal on any other Audeze headphones (I currently own the LCD3 and LCD2CB, used to own and use it on the LCD2).
I noticed it on the LCDi4 on several songs, but most noticeably the Wilco track above. @KMann suggested to reduce the Reveal gain and compensate by turning up the volume on the amp which seemed to work.

I had the exact same issue using Roon and the built in Audeze EQ. I was concerned that I was hearing some unmusical sounds on high level tracks (e.g. Kacey Musgraves - Space Cowboy). Roon did not show clipping, but setting level -3db fixed it.

I also agree that desktop brings out the best, but that shouldn't be entirely surprising.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #3,165 of 4,796
I had the exact same issue using Roon and the built in Audeze EQ. I was concerned that I was hearing some unmusical sounds on high level tracks (e.g. Kacey Musgraves - Space Cowboy). Roon did not show clipping, but setting level -3db fixed it.

I also agree that desktop brings out the best, but that shouldn't be entirely surprising.

The Audeze EQ in Roon doesn't do it for me; I tried it many times and it seem to just dull the sound. I still use some of the Roon EQ settings that @lithiumnk selflessly sent me and with my custom ones, the sound from my i4s make me want to dance...lol...of course it helps that I'm using very good quality gear (very grateful...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back