Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 6, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #826 of 4,795
Thank you for your feedback, sounds really interesting.
May I ask how long did it take Effect Audio to manufacture your cable?
What @pinciukas said. Effect Audio is very fast compared to other companies I have seen, my Ares II took something like 2 weeks, including shipping from Singapore to the UK. However, their 'Heritage' cables are made of very scarce materials and that might change their regular turn-around times. Eric from Effect Audio is a member here and a great guy to talk to if you want to know more, you can send him a PM, @EffectAudio, for a quick response.

Just as an extra bit of information, Effect Audio is about to release their new flagship 'Horus'. Very expensive, but from what I have heard also very special. (I freely admit to have become slightly hooked on cables. :D )

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #827 of 4,795
@Audeze One point worth mentioning is the build quality of lcd i4.
The housing of the lcd i4 is made of plastic.
At this price the build quality should be top notch like noble audio encore, jh audio etc.
Nothing is being mentioned about the same on the website.... only the internal technology is being focussed upon.
I keep my lcd i4 in pelican 1010 case with utmost care.
Whenever I am handling my lcd i4.. I have my heart in my mouth.. I think they are prone to trivial trauma. Also, the ear hooks are made of cheap plastic.
Since 2 days there is some ringing noise in the right side of my lcd i4.
I think something in the housing is moving.
Its a constant source of irritation.
One has to remain still so as to avoid it.
It is present on slight head movements,walking.
There is no problem with the sound reproduction.(mind blowing)
I am starting to regret my decision on purchasing lcd i4 in a premature stage.

To add insult to injury I had bought these from a different country while I was on a holiday , so since the warranty is country specific and I don't think sending back the product via courier for repair is a viable option ( customs)...

Lesson Learned: Its always better to buy a time tested audio gear....with good build quality.

Having a problem with you i4s sucks but Audeze will take care of you, I have no doubt there.

When I initially got my i4s, I also kind of wished that the entire housing was made of magnesium rather than having the plastic on the back. But I soon realized that the i4s are plenty robust and that if they were fully metal, they would likely weigh more, which would make them less comfortable to wear. The plastic is more robust than you think. I have accidentally gotten my i4 cable stuck on my office chair arm while standing up, which pulled the i4s out of my ears and onto the hard floor. Believe me there was quite a number of 4 letter words exclaimed and a huge amount of anxiety that they’d be broken. They were fine. I also haven’t seen any reports over in the isine thread of anyone’s lower plastic housing breaking and they seem to be the same part.

As for the cable, my stock cables are in there VERY snuggly. I wonder if some who have had issues with the cables falling out are maybe not fully seated them into place. Getting the stock cable fully into place required more force than I initially thought...I at first did not have my cables in all the way, and had to use more force to get the cable seated fully into the earphone. Once they were in there all the way, they have been very firmly seated ever since.

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #828 of 4,795
Don't worry about the warranty. I've dealt w Audeze from a 3rd world country and their customer service has been excellent. Very fast response rate, Prepaid FedEx labels, really friendly customer service, etc. These guys know what they're doing.
About customs, just ask their shipping department to mark your package as a warranty repair if you need to send yours in, so likely no problem there. Of course, do double check w your local customs but for the most part it should be ok.

Again, I'd like to modify my initial impressions about the Roon EQ filter a little. I dont think the preset is necessarily better, it's just that Audeze presents the customer w different 'flavors', it'll come down to personal preferences for this one. There are a couple of drawbacks over the stock i4, such as a slightly reduced width in soundstaging, slight boom and reduced speed in the bass. I found vocal imaging to be a little higher positioned in some tracks, which can be better. Vocals sound smoother but it can be too smooth w some loss of intimate details, rawness, and energy. It's a darker, warmer sound w the Roon preset. A little less transparent. Pulled back trebles, which can be nice sometimes but I'd rather hear everything in a track, good or bad. I did find pianos to be slightly more full w the preset, there's more weight to them, just lovely. Percussion instruments have more body but can feel slightly too heavy, a little too slow at times.

I'm back to using bit perfect output w Roon after living w the preset for a while. Bit perfect is more transparent, airier, and less congested. Also, my cpu cores do not need to work as hard so this means less fan spin, less noise. It's still great that I have the option to switch to an excellent preset on the fly depending on my mood.

Here's a picture of the LCDi4 and Lionheart cable + the Hugo 2 (w iso gel pads) + RWAK240 + Silver Dragon Toslink cable. Perfect fit!

bSpYb7rl.jpg

Can I ask you what case that is? Looks like one available from amazon? Looks like a perfect solution for the Hugo 2 / LCDi4!

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #829 of 4,795
What @pinciukas said. Effect Audio is very fast compared to other companies I have seen, my Ares II took something like 2 weeks, including shipping from Singapore to the UK. However, their 'Heritage' cables are made of very scarce materials and that might change their regular turn-around times. Eric from Effect Audio is a member here and a great guy to talk to if you want to know more, you can send him a PM, @EffectAudio, for a quick response.

Just as an extra bit of information, Effect Audio is about to release their new flagship 'Horus'. Very expensive, but from what I have heard also very special. (I freely admit to have become slightly hooked on cables. :D )
Thnx to both! @pinciukas @Wyville
It seems the Lionheart is an i4 worthy cable, I mean, the i4 deserves only the best. :ksc75smile:
.. but I'll first burn in the stock cable, get used to the i4, and then I'll go for a balanced cable, and the Lionheart is now very high on the list. :)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #830 of 4,795
Can I ask you what case that is? Looks like one available from amazon? Looks like a perfect solution for the Hugo 2 / LCDi4!

It's the Pelican case 1060. I think Dr. KMann was the first to showcase how securely the H2/i4 fits in the 1060. You can also opt to get a Plug Foam Insert to properly sit the LCDi4s. It's perfect for travelling without having to worry about the inevitable tumbles in the weekender or pressurization in the plane.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #831 of 4,795
Don't worry about the warranty. I've dealt w Audeze from a 3rd world country and their customer service has been excellent. Very fast response rate, Prepaid FedEx labels, really friendly customer service, etc. These guys know what they're doing.
About customs, just ask their shipping department to mark your package as a warranty repair if you need to send yours in, so likely no problem there. Of course, do double check w your local customs but for the most part it should be ok.
Thanks a lot!

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #832 of 4,795
Are the Hugo2 and LCD-i4 secure in that Pelican 1060? I'm thinking that there would still be some space above them for things to jostle loose and clink against the top of the case. It seems like you would need another layer of foam on top to really secure things. (And you would lose the ability to see your gear when it's closed, of course.)

No? Am I wrong and this actually works really well for some reason I'm not considering?

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #833 of 4,795
I just love my i4's, through my desktop system, and I want to get better performance from my mobile syste, I shall order a Chord Hugo 2. I would had ordered earlier this week, but waiting to see what Huricane Irma does to Florida and Sarasota. But I love the i4 out of a good tube amp, especially out of my Cavalli Liquid Glass.

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #834 of 4,795
I just love my i4's, through my desktop system, and I want to get better performance from my mobile syste, I shall order a Chord Hugo 2. I would had ordered earlier this week, but waiting to see what Huricane Irma does to Florida and Sarasota. But I love the i4 out of a good tube amp, especially out of my Cavalli Liquid Glass.

There is a great synergy between the Hugo2 and the i4, I strongly recommend it. The Cavalli LC is a little jewel with the i4 but for traveling nothing beats the Hugo2.

good luck with the hurricane, be safe.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #835 of 4,795
i4 and h2 is possibly the perfect travel pairing.....to be honest a few years ago i didnt think you could get this kind of sound from a desktop rig......i use an AK120 with 2 256GB cards in it with the h2.....marvelous

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #836 of 4,795
There is a great synergy between the Hugo2 and the i4, I strongly recommend it. The Cavalli LC is a little jewel with the i4 but for traveling nothing beats the Hugo2.

good luck with the hurricane, be safe.
Yes the LC just makes the i4 sound fantastic, perfect the hotel room. But with my QP1R and H2 I will be mobile bliss. It's surreal to enjoy suck incredible sound while walking around :).

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #837 of 4,795
Are the Hugo2 and LCD-i4 secure in that Pelican 1060? I'm thinking that there would still be some space above them for things to jostle loose and clink against the top of the case. It seems like you would need another layer of foam on top to really secure things. (And you would lose the ability to see your gear when it's closed, of course.)

No? Am I wrong and this actually works really well for some reason I'm not considering?

Yes there is a bit of space for the H2 to do so at times. What I do is to simply take a folded black microfiber cloth and wedge it in between... voila, problem solved. Now your H2 is both fingerprint and dust free :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #838 of 4,795

I posted about it here.

With pick-a-foam 1062, H2 will be in held in place and if you store the i4 cable under H2, i4 does not move either. When I tried this way, never heard the H2 and i4 rattle or move.

upload_2017-9-7_23-5-43.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back