Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #796 of 4,798
Looked at the iSine 20 yesterday, but I don't really get it. People seem to insist on the Cipher cable, but apart from not having an iPhone, why would I not want to use my AK70? It is a little strange that the iSines appear to be highly focused on use with Apple devices, while the only option for people with a proper DAP would be the i4? (Just the impression I got.)

But who knows Audeze might have an LCD-i2 in the works. :ksc75smile:

Because the cipher adds a nice EQ correction to iSine20. Without EQ, the iSine sound very hollow and thin. You can use a DAP of course, if you are willing to play around with EQ.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #797 of 4,798
Beautiful!! Do the new connectors tend to stay put in their receptacles in the ear pieces? The stock connectors fall out of the receptacles in the ear pieces in my set occasionally. Looks like just the cable I need for my i4.
BTW, I hear only blissful sound from my STOCK non-EQd i4. With the Mojo. But looking forward to acquiring a Schiit Yggy and Rag in the near future to drive all my phones (LCD-X and i4). Just curious if anyone is driving the i4 with the above amp/dac combo? This way I will have the portability of the Mojo when desired and also a really nice desktop setup also.

The right cable sometimes does fall out a couple of times, which doesn't happen with my stock cable. It doesn't really bother me though.

Tried the Mojo before, but it seems that it adds a bit of warmth with less treble sparkle so I prefer to drive it directly from my lowly-but-very-capable iPod touch 6th gen using NePlayer app :)

I'm also considering Hugo 2, but I need to audition it first before making any decision.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #798 of 4,798
Looked at the iSine 20 yesterday, but I don't really get it. People seem to insist on the Cipher cable, but apart from not having an iPhone, why would I not want to use my AK70? It is a little strange that the iSines appear to be highly focused on use with Apple devices, while the only option for people with a proper DAP would be the i4? (Just the impression I got.)

But who knows Audeze might have an LCD-i2 in the works. :ksc75smile:

Ah you're right, just realized the Cipher only works with iOS devices :)

Well I guess Audeze feels that with the pricing of i10 and i20, the consumers who'd be willing to purchase at that price would most likely use them directly from their iOS devices. Whereas with i4's pricing, it's directed at true audiophiles who are in most cases would have a dedicated rig to drive the i4.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #799 of 4,798
The right cable sometimes does fall out a couple of times, which doesn't happen with my stock cable. It doesn't really bother me though.

Tried the Mojo before, but it seems that it adds a bit of warmth with less treble sparkle so I prefer to drive it directly from my lowly-but-very-capable iPod touch 6th gen using NePlayer app :)

I'm also considering Hugo 2, but I need to audition it first before making any decision.

Interesting I find that using the Mojo with i4 is sounding quite familiar i.e. like my LCD-X. Somewhat more neutral than say the LCD-3 (pre-fazor) I used to own and that got traded in for the X. Which I really should have just kept the LCD-3 honestly for the beautiful mids and sub-bass etc. Well anyway the i4 with the Mojo seems to be perfect tonally and very capable as well. But overly warm, well I wouldn't say that is the case but with my ears that's what I am hearing. Absolutely no EQ necessary IMHO.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #800 of 4,798
Because the cipher adds a nice EQ correction to iSine20. Without EQ, the iSine sound very hollow and thin. You can use a DAP of course, if you are willing to play around with EQ.
Perhaps the right cable can help to bring out the best in the iSines?

Well I guess Audeze feels that with the pricing of i10 and i20, the consumers who'd be willing to purchase at that price would most likely use them directly from their iOS devices. Whereas with i4's pricing, it's directed at true audiophiles who are in most cases would have a dedicated rig to drive the i4.
That's why I am curious to see what Audeze will do next. There appears to be a gap between the iSines and i40, not just in terms of pricing, but general usage as well. I have often looked at open-back headphones and especially the LCD-2, but, being an IEM-guy, I just don't think I can live with the bulk of headphones. The i40 is the closest I have seen to getting the LCD-2 in a small form factor, except it is the LCD-4 in a small form factor. Not bad, just a bit too expensive. :D

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #801 of 4,798
Interesting I find that using the Mojo with i4 is sounding quite familiar i.e. like my LCD-X. Somewhat more neutral than say the LCD-3 (pre-fazor) I used to own and that got traded in for the X. Which I really should have just kept the LCD-3 honestly for the beautiful mids and sub-bass etc. Well anyway the i4 with the Mojo seems to be perfect tonally and very capable as well. But overly warm, well I wouldn't say that is the case but with my ears that's what I am hearing. Absolutely no EQ necessary IMHO.

Agree that it's not overly warm with Mojo, but noticeable. It's down to each person's preference at the end of fhe day :)

Anyway, I think almost everyone agrees that the i4 is one hell of a beast! (a small beast to be exact)

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #802 of 4,798
Perhaps the right cable can help to bring out the best in the iSines?

That's why I am curious to see what Audeze will do next. There appears to be a gap between the iSines and i40, not just in terms of pricing, but general usage as well. I have often looked at open-back headphones and especially the LCD-2, but, being an IEM-guy, I just don't think I can live with the bulk of headphones. The i40 is the closest I have seen to getting the LCD-2 in a small form factor, except it is the LCD-4 in a small form factor. Not bad, just a bit too expensive. :D

Hahaha....that's my thought exactly at the beginning. I was in search of a universal IEM with exceptional sound, and stumbled upon this thread. Previously I was considering Noble Encore, Vega, even U18 and Tia Fourte. But the price of U18 and Fourte really puts me off, I don't think I'm ready to spend 4K for IEMs. But with i4, it's something unique, a chance to experience a flagship open back planar magnetic headphone with a much smaller footprint. It's just too good to pass and pricing wise, still quite "reasonable" (I realize that that term is very much different to everyone).

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #803 of 4,798
Hahaha....that's my thought exactly at the beginning. I was in search of a universal IEM with exceptional sound, and stumbled upon this thread. Previously I was considering Noble Encore, Vega, even U18 and Tia Fourte. But the price of U18 and Fourte really puts me off, I don't think I'm ready to spend 4K for IEMs. But with i4, it's something unique, a chance to experience a flagship open back planar magnetic headphone with a much smaller footprint. It's just too good to pass and pricing wise, still quite "reasonable" (I realize that that term is very much different to everyone).
Yes, I might need to pull out of this thread before it's too late. When I started looking into getting higher end gear last year the se425 were topping my list and my budget. By now the term "budget" appears to have taken on a life of its own, continually evolving as I search for my perfect setup for classical music. :D

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #804 of 4,798

I'm a 'true audiophile' and I'm using the iSine 20 with my iPhone 7...just saying'.
Maybe they're aimed at people who don't want to pay £2.5K for IEMs, plus a DAP plus a DAC, or carry around multiple boxes on the go, or be tied to desktop devices. There are lots of advantages and it certainly doesn't mean they aren't 'true audiophiles' as you put it.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #805 of 4,798
I'm a 'true audiophile' and I'm using the iSine 20 with my iPhone 7...just saying'.
Maybe they're aimed at people who don't want to pay £2.5K for IEMs, plus a DAP plus a DAC, or carry around multiple boxes on the go, or be tied to desktop devices. There are lots of advantages and it certainly doesn't mean they aren't 'true audiophiles' as you put it.

I realized when I used that term it's kind of "controversial", then again I also agree with what you said :)

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #806 of 4,798
Yes, I might need to pull out of this thread before it's too late. When I started looking into getting higher end gear last year the se425 were topping my list and my budget. By now the term "budget" appears to have taken on a life of its own, continually evolving as I search for my perfect setup for classical music. :D

Hahahaha...yes "budget" seems like a term from a very distant past

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #807 of 4,798
Is anybody using the A&K A&Ultima SP1000 (preferably Cu.. ) with the LCD i4?
I would love to hear impressions as Im tempted by this combination..

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #808 of 4,798
Is anybody using the A&K A&Ultima SP1000 (preferably Cu.. ) with the LCD i4?
I would love to hear impressions as Im tempted by this combination..
Oh dear... No... I don't want to think about this combination. :confounded: Can't afford! :sweat_smile:

I was actually thinking that with the right cable (Leonidas? Lionheart?), the SP1000 copper and the LCD-i4 might make for a real dream pairing for classical music.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #809 of 4,798
Oh dear... No... I don't want to think about this combination. :confounded: Can't afford! :sweat_smile:

I was actually thinking that with the right cable (Leonidas? Lionheart?), the SP1000 copper and the LCD-i4 might make for a real dream pairing for classical music.

I replied in the SP1000 thread, but I own the SS. Well, for classical it is indeed :wink:

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #810 of 4,798
I replied in the SP1000 thread, but I own the SS. Well, for classical it is indeed :wink:
Oh, I really did not want to hear that. :wink:

Sounds great! How are instruments, do they sound realistic and does it convey the emotion of a piece well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back