Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #766 of 4,801
Tried the LCDi4 again. This time from a different audio shop. The shop has few people and more quiet than the the first shop where I tried the LCDi4.

I also have the iSine20 on cypher cable for comparison. My initial impression on LCDi4 didn't change. Actually, I tried to listen to as many recordings mostly pop, rock and dance music.

I think the LCDi4 is not for me. I have never felt tired demoing a gear like this before. I am basically switching between AK240 and QP2R and still get the same effect.

Overall, the LCDi4 really felt weird for me. Most of the tracks I listen to seems overwhelming in the high mids and treble. The bass also felt weird and seems either too quick or lacking decay which sound unnatural (Especially in the intro of the track misfits by Third Eye Blind). It seems tighter but lacking depth kick in the sub bass.

On the other hand the iSine20 with the cypher cable is very impressive. A little more fuller and detailed than the 10 but it's not exactly the big of a difference. It sounded really close to the aeon at least when rendering the bass and the sun-bass

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #767 of 4,801
Tried the LCDi4 again. This time from a different audio shop. The shop has few people and more quiet than the the first shop where I tried the LCDi4.

I also have the iSine20 on cypher cable for comparison. My initial impression on LCDi4 didn't change. Actually, I tried to listen to as many recordings mostly pop, rock and dance music.

I think the LCDi4 is not for me. I have never felt tired demoing a gear like this before. I am basically switching between AK240 and QP2R and still get the same effect.

Overall, the LCDi4 really felt weird for me. Most of the tracks I listen to seems overwhelming in the high mids and treble. The bass also felt weird and seems either too quick or lacking decay which sound unnatural (Especially in the intro of the track misfits by Third Eye Blind). It seems tighter but lacking depth kick in the sub bass.

On the other hand the iSine20 with the cypher cable is very impressive. A little more fuller and detailed than the 10 but it's not exactly the big of a difference. It sounded really close to the aeon at least when rendering the bass and the sun-bass
The i4's may not be suited for all people and all genres of music but you are comparing a heavily EQ'd ISINE (cypher cable) to naked i4's which benefit from EQ. There are some that enjoy the default tuning but I only listen to them through Roon w/ either pmq or convolution filters. On their own I agree they can be a little harsh but when adjusted they are amazing. I own the ISINE 20's as well and think they are great but for genres that favor detail such as classical the i4's stand head and shoulders above. I only use the ISINEs while working out and listening to "workout" type music and they do that exceptionally well.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #768 of 4,801
Mine are arriving on Monday. Me and some other guy are lucky as mine and his just shipped and I got a message saying there was a supply chain issue delaying other shipments by 2 weeks. Anyhow, I hope I am as blown away by these as you guys are. I had the KSE1500 awhile back and returned them because I found them to harsh on my ears. I could not get them to sound right to me. I have JH13, JH3A, JH16, Oppo PM1 and Fostex TH900 MK2. I really only listen to the JH13 and Fostex out of Chord Mojo at work but have been wanting something more end game sounding. So we will see. I ordered from Audeze so I have 30 days to audition them.

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #769 of 4,801
Cross Posting on the LCDi4 Thread. Presets available for Audeze headphones including the i4 on Roon. Usually Roon is available for trial for 14 days. For extended Roon Trials (60 days) please use the promo code HDF1-VJM7-WU9Z
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/#post-13681352
Roon.png

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #770 of 4,801
The i4's may not be suited for all people and all genres of music but you are comparing a heavily EQ'd ISINE (cypher cable) to naked i4's which benefit from EQ. There are some that enjoy the default tuning but I only listen to them through Roon w/ either pmq or convolution filters. On their own I agree they can be a little harsh but when adjusted they are amazing. I own the ISINE 20's as well and think they are great but for genres that favor detail such as classical the i4's stand head and shoulders above. I only use the ISINEs while working out and listening to "workout" type music and they do that exceptionally well.

In that case, it appears all of them most likely requires some sort of EQ. The problem is now with LCDi4, it would take a lot more effort to make it sound like how you want it. I have different headphones that are a few Genre or recordings specific (HD800, Stax) in their stock form. But this is the first time I heard a headphone that doesn't sound right to me across many genre and recordings in my collection. In fact, the test tracks I usually used sound good on all headphones I have liked and currently have.

I am probably stuck with iSine10 with the iPhone or maybe the 20 later. But I was hoping I could have at least similar performance on a normal DAP or portable device as I hate to use my phone as a DAP.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #771 of 4,801
Aug 26, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #772 of 4,801
20170825_225715.jpg
I am very happy with my purchase.
I have always been in the world of closed back gear...
This has changed everything.
I have no words to describe the Audeze LCD i4..... all the superlatives in the audiophile dictionary will describe them.
One factor which concerns many users is the fit & comfort.
In my case both are amazing. I prefer the ear hooks over ear locks.
I can wear them for hours with no discomfort at all.
Using with AK KANN High Gain ...no problem in driving them.
I really appreciate the views regarding the lcd i4 on this thread.
Cheers!!!

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #773 of 4,801
So you guys really had to write 52 pages about how awesome this LCD i4 are!!??
Especially paired with the Hugo 2 (I'm looking at you @MacedonianHero !)

And now after reading all 52 pages in 1 day I have to order (first I audition them, of course.. :)) the LCD i4 and the Chord Hugo 2 (this one was on my list for some time as I'm in love with the Mojo..).

Coming from Chord Mojo + Shure SE846 (..and wanting to keep my marriage alive..) I will buy the first one, wait a bit, buy the second one..
..which one should I look in to first?
  1. Hugo 2 (So I'll first have Hugo 2 + SE846 for some time..)
  2. LCD i4 (So I'll first have Mojo + LCD i4)

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #775 of 4,801

And now after reading all 52 pages in 1 day I have to order (first I audition them, of course.. :)) the LCD i4 and the Chord Hugo 2 (this one was on my list for some time as I'm in love with the Mojo..).

Coming from Chord Mojo + Shure SE846 (..and wanting to keep my marriage alive..) I will buy the first one, wait a bit, buy the second one..

Order the lcdi4 first.

I orders a H2 after I bought them just because I didn't have any dac and I needed something with more juices than the WM1Z.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #776 of 4,801
the i4 first is the right choice because the Mojo is quite good in its own right and the i4 is head and shoulders better than the 846...i was traveling this past weekend and listened to the i4 with my h2 and it was simply wonderful

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #777 of 4,801
the i4 first is the right choice because the Mojo is quite good in its own right and the i4 is head and shoulders better than the 846...i was traveling this past weekend and listened to the i4 with my h2 and it was simply wonderful

If I remember right there is a post in first pages of this thread from a Audeze engineer, his home setup is lcdi4 + mojo.

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #778 of 4,801

Yes the Hugo 2 haunts my dreams, it driving my LCD i4, as I walk about or take a country drive. Perhaps next month, if all goes well. This hobby will make me a audiophile hobo lol

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #779 of 4,801
FullSizeRender.jpg

My pimped up i4 :)

Posted this in another thread:
Just upgraded the cable of my LCDi4 with Norne Audio Silvergarde, and the i4 becomes the most natural sounding IEM I've ever heard. The timbre accuracy is almost unbelievable. It makes my old MH335 pales in comparison, now I feel like the tone and timbre of the 335 sounds more artificial than i4. IMHO, the i4's soundstage is unrivaled due to its open back nature, of course the flipside is you get zero isolation. Definitely one of the best (if not THE best) IEMs available at the moment. Very happy with it :)

Edit: I'm also using Comply Isolation 600 as the tip

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #780 of 4,801
My pimped up i4 :)

Posted this in another thread:
Just upgraded the cable of my LCDi4 with Norne Audio Silvergarde, and the i4 becomes the most natural sounding IEM I've ever heard. The timbre accuracy is almost unbelievable. It makes my old MH335 pales in comparison, now I feel like the tone and timbre of the 335 sounds more artificial than i4. IMHO, the i4's soundstage is unrivaled due to its open back nature, of course the flipside is you get zero isolation. Definitely one of the best (if not THE best) IEMs available at the moment. Very happy with it :)

Edit: I'm also using Comply Isolation 600 as the tip

Looks like a nicely put together cable. Not that cheap, but high quality. How's its flexibility?
Personally I got a Lavricables Ultimate cable, a bit more approachable costing about 50% of this one, and while it's a bit on the stiff side, I've nothing to complain about. Sounds great from my SP1000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back