Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #781 of 4,801
Looks like a nicely put together cable. Not that cheap, but high quality. How's its flexibility?
Personally I got a Lavricables Ultimate cable, a bit more approachable costing about 50% of this one, and while it's a bit on the stiff side, I've nothing to complain about. Sounds great from my SP1000.
Did you order with or without silk sleeving?
btw, I cannot find on their website the Ultimate version for the i4, only the Reference version.. was it a special order?

Thnx!!

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #783 of 4,801
Did you order with or without silk sleeving?
btw, I cannot find on their website the Ultimate version for the i4, only the Reference version.. was it a special order?

Thnx!!

Just look for "Westone", as it uses the same 2pin system. You should then get both Reference and Ultimate version as search result, unless the Ultimate was recently discontinued. No silk sleeving available for the Ultimate, due to the weight of the cable itself.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #784 of 4,801

My pimped up i4 :)

Posted this in another thread:
Just upgraded the cable of my LCDi4 with Norne Audio Silvergarde, and the i4 becomes the most natural sounding IEM I've ever heard. The timbre accuracy is almost unbelievable. It makes my old MH335 pales in comparison, now I feel like the tone and timbre of the 335 sounds more artificial than i4. IMHO, the i4's soundstage is unrivaled due to its open back nature, of course the flipside is you get zero isolation. Definitely one of the best (if not THE best) IEMs available at the moment. Very happy with it :)

Edit: I'm also using Comply Isolation 600 as the tip
That looks amazing!

Just out out of curiosity, do you happen to listen to classical music? I wonder how well they work for that in terms of how realistic instruments sound and how well they deal with complex, large scale symphonies.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #785 of 4,801
The Ultimate version has 8 wires, isn't it too heavy? I found some of my cables to be too uncomfortable with the i4 due to the weight.

I'm not experiencing any issue, but ofc that depends from how the hooks/locks are working for you and in which situations you use your LCDi4. I'm not using them while on movement.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #786 of 4,801
The Ultimate version has 8 wires, isn't it too heavy? I found some of my cables to be too uncomfortable with the i4 due to the weight.
Yes, that was my concern too...

Just look for "Westone", as it uses the same 2pin system. You should then get both Reference and Ultimate version as search result, unless the Ultimate was recently discontinued. No silk sleeving available for the Ultimate, due to the weight of the cable itself.
Thank you, good to know!

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #787 of 4,801
I'm not experiencing any issue, but ofc that depends from how the hooks/locks are working for you and in which situations you use your LCDi4. I'm not using them while on movement.
I'm a bit slow, you already replied to this.. :)
Thnx for the feedback, I will audition the LCD i4 next week, and if (when..) I buy them... the Lavricables is my first choice, as the owner is super responsive and price/quality ratio is great.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #788 of 4,801

Here the same,
right now I use the i4 win the office while sitting, really doing like to walk with it.

Just like a great glass of wine, you enjoy sitting at the table not in a cup while you are walking :ksc75smile:

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #789 of 4,801

The cable looks great!

How are the Comply working for you?
I read Audeze suggest not to use them.. but I'm so used to Comply with the SE846..

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #790 of 4,801
Looks like a nicely put together cable. Not that cheap, but high quality. How's its flexibility?
Personally I got a Lavricables Ultimate cable, a bit more approachable costing about 50% of this one, and while it's a bit on the stiff side, I've nothing to complain about. Sounds great from my SP1000.

It is definitely stiffer and heavier than other cables, 4x21 AWG is rather thick and big. But I'm used to it, since I've been using the Fitear version for my 335 for quite a while now, so no issue in terms of comfort for me. Do note that I only use my i4 at home or at stationary position while traveling.

The cable looks great!

How are the Comply working for you?
I read Audeze suggest not to use them.. but I'm so used to Comply with the SE846..

I only use Comply after I have received the Silvergarde cable. They give a great synergy since the silver cable adds more treble sparkle at around 8-10 Khz, so it can be a bit sibilant with a few songs. The Comply tame that a bit while still retaining the micro details. The cable also adds visceral impact on the bass as a whole, and the Comply help to further define the low notes. The bass is very tight, controlled and well-defined.

But if I'm using the stock cable, I'd definitely stick to the stock grooved tips since they give the best sound. YMMV.

That looks amazing!

Just out out of curiosity, do you happen to listen to classical music? I wonder how well they work for that in terms of how realistic instruments sound and how well they deal with complex, large scale symphonies.

I sometimes do listen to classical music, although far from being an expert :) As a reference, I have Beethoven's 9th performed by Karajan and Berlin Philharmonic (recorded in early 60's), and it sounds amazing , even more so after I switched to the silver cable and comply tips. The instrument separation is well defined with accurate tonality and the strings sound full bodied. Because of i4's huge soundstage, I feel like I've been transported to a large concert hall where they perform right in front of me. Even on Op. 125 "Choral", the i4 is able to resolve the complex choir voices. I'd say the i4 is one hell of an all-rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #791 of 4,801
I sometimes do listen to classical music, although far from being an expert :) As a reference, I have Beethoven's 9th performed by Karajan and Berlin Philharmonic (recorded in early 60's), and it sounds amazing , even more so after I switched to the silver cable and comply tips. The instrument separation is well defined with accurate tonality and the strings sound full bodied. Because of i4's huge soundstage, I feel like I've been transported to a large concert hall where they perform right in front of me. Even on Op. 125 "Choral", the i4 is able to resolve the complex choir voices. I'd say the i4 is one hell of an all-rounder.
Thanks for sharing! That sounds very interesting! I have been wondering if the open nature of the i4 (and iSine) would make for a more natural, concert hall like listening experience. It is also good to hear that strings sound full bodied, as I think that especially violins are difficult to reproduce realistically. Sadly the i4 are priced a bit above my projected budget (I hope to buy TOTL next year), but perhaps Audeze will come up with something that sits in between the iSine 20 and i4. Worth keeping an eye on!

BTW, I am just looking to buy Karajan's Beethoven symphonies with the Berlin Philharmonic. I have Simon Rattle's modern and fast interpretation and don't like it that much. Karajan's interpretation seems to be much more suited to my preferences.

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #792 of 4,801
Thanks for sharing! That sounds very interesting! I have been wondering if the open nature of the i4 (and iSine) would make for a more natural, concert hall like listening experience. It is also good to hear that strings sound full bodied, as I think that especially violins are difficult to reproduce realistically. Sadly the i4 are priced a bit above my projected budget (I hope to buy TOTL next year), but perhaps Audeze will come up with something that sits in between the iSine 20 and i4. Worth keeping an eye on!

BTW, I am just looking to buy Karajan's Beethoven symphonies with the Berlin Philharmonic. I have Simon Rattle's modern and fast interpretation and don't like it that much. Karajan's interpretation seems to be much more suited to my preferences.

Well perhaps you can get the iSine 20 with Cipher cable just to get the feel for the time being :)

As I've said, I'm not an expert at classical music, but when I came across Karajan's version, I immediately liked it a lot.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #794 of 4,801

My pimped up i4 :)

Posted this in another thread:
Just upgraded the cable of my LCDi4 with Norne Audio Silvergarde, and the i4 becomes the most natural sounding IEM I've ever heard. The timbre accuracy is almost unbelievable. It makes my old MH335 pales in comparison, now I feel like the tone and timbre of the 335 sounds more artificial than i4. IMHO, the i4's soundstage is unrivaled due to its open back nature, of course the flipside is you get zero isolation. Definitely one of the best (if not THE best) IEMs available at the moment. Very happy with it :)

Beautiful!! Do the new connectors tend to stay put in their receptacles in the ear pieces? The stock connectors fall out of the receptacles in the ear pieces in my set occasionally. Looks like just the cable I need for my i4.
BTW, I hear only blissful sound from my STOCK non-EQd i4. With the Mojo. But looking forward to acquiring a Schiit Yggy and Rag in the near future to drive all my phones (LCD-X and i4). Just curious if anyone is driving the i4 with the above amp/dac combo? This way I will have the portability of the Mojo when desired and also a really nice desktop setup also.

Edit: looked on the website and it only shows terminations for the iSine10 and 20. IIRC they are the same connectors as for the i4?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #795 of 4,801
Well perhaps you can get the iSine 20 with Cipher cable just to get the feel for the time being :)

As I've said, I'm not an expert at classical music, but when I came across Karajan's version, I immediately liked it a lot.
Looked at the iSine 20 yesterday, but I don't really get it. People seem to insist on the Cipher cable, but apart from not having an iPhone, why would I not want to use my AK70? It is a little strange that the iSines appear to be highly focused on use with Apple devices, while the only option for people with a proper DAP would be the i4? (Just the impression I got.)

But who knows Audeze might have an LCD-i2 in the works. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back